Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th November 2008, 12:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cedia IMO performs well in real life conditions and manages under 11 second 0-100 timings. Yes not very good, but again the torque makes it much better to drive. Moreover refinement is better than Corolla Altis and perhaps the best combination of ride and handling apart from Skoda.
Cedia must have a better motor, no doubt, but then it still is sufficiently powerful for Indian conditions.
Whats so sporty about having low end torque that lets you toddle around town in a higher gear? Might as well buy a diesel.

And it's not just the Cedia, almost all the so called "sport" models sold today are no diff than the other variants.

A friend of mine has bought the Civic sport, which is in no way any sportier than the normal Civic.

So i really dont understand why they need to have a "sport" tag on such cars.

Quote:
Well so was my feeling until I tried driving it. I suggest you just TD it yourself. Yes the chassis could do with more power but the current motor is no slouch.

0-100 comes in exactly 10.2 secs on stock tyres and 9.89 on my car with upgraded rubber.
R these figs from a vbox or a stop watch? Id wait till the mags test its performance.

BTW, heres what Overdrive got with the 125ps version of the Cedia (using vbox). Mind you, this version had 104ps/ton as compared to the 93ps/ton version being discussed here.

Under the hood the Cedia gets a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder, 16-valve powerplant that puts out 125PS of power at 5500rpm and a solid 173Nm of torque at 4250rpm. With the Cedia tipping the scales at little less than 1200kg this makes for a very good power to weight ratio of 104PS/ton and sees the car hit 60kmph in 4.6sec. The 100kmph mark comes up in 11.04sec while she takes 17.69sec to cover the quarter mile run.

Source - MITSUBISHI LANCER CEDIA-Overdrive

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 12:32   #62
BHPian

@Backrub - I agree, I have seen both the versions, I guess the one you saw was the spirit. It does look understated and 'executive' ish.

The sport I saw was a white specimen and looks great. I somehow thought it looks a bigger car with the extended bumpers.( Not sure if the previous sport version had one) Also, liked the smaller steering wheel, it retains the airbag.
car'zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 12:40   #63
BHPian

I wonder why we throw 0-100 stats so often, (I would have to plead gulity here as well)

How much of this holds relevance in the real word viz Indian roads and driving conditions? Does a second or two make such a difference? How important it is for straight line performers to handle well as well? How many of these cars can carry speed into corners? These are some of the questions I have started thinking about and will look for answers here.

(Cedia came after Fiesta in a recent Karthikeyan review of Autocar picked driver's cars)
car'zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 14:30   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post

1)Whats so sporty about having low end torque that lets you toddle around town in a higher gear? Might as well buy a diesel.

2)And it's not just the Cedia, almost all the so called "sport" models sold today are no diff than the other variants.

A friend of mine has bought the Civic sport, which is in no way any sportier than the normal Civic.

So i really dont understand why they need to have a "sport" tag on such cars.
1) I was comparing the bottom end toruqe and flat torque curve with that of Civic. Its better than Civic. And this is surely an advantage. May be diesels have much better torque ( 1248cc but 190 Nm! ) but in case of the petrol cars, this is on the better side.

2) Yes, the sports tag are mostly a joke. In our country, a manufacturer will put in a spoiler and alloy wheels and can say " exciting performance from *car name*. This is wrong.

3) About OD. I visited the Mistubishi website, the engine is 115 and not 125. Is 125 bhp version available ?
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2008, 15:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) I was comparing the bottom end toruqe and flat torque curve with that of Civic. Its better than Civic. And this is surely an advantage. May be diesels have much better torque ( 1248cc but 190 Nm! ) but in case of the petrol cars, this is on the better side.
Thats ok if you're selling a car as a sedate executive cruiser and not a sports variant.

Quote:
3) About OD. I visited the Mistubishi website, the engine is 115 and not 125. Is 125 bhp version available ?
Exactly, why dont they sell the sport variant with aleast 125ps. If that car with 104ps/ton did 100 in 11 secs, you can only imagine what a 93ps/ton Cedia will be like.

The Civic sport (even though a bit pointless) atleast has 109ps/ton.

Shan2nu
Old 6th November 2008, 00:22   #66

Hey guys,
The last para of the overdrive article (link provided by shan2nu) says that “the lancer cedia is set to be lunched next year ……”. So the test car was an Aussie selling cedia (as is mentioned) and the test was done before it was launched here. So I don’t think the date on the article of 22nd Oct 2007 is very appropriate. My be that was the day when the article got uploaded on the site.
Why I am saying all this is because I have a March 2006 overdrive issue which has a complete road test of the Indian spec cedia (road test obviously done after its launch in India). In this test the 0 to100 acceleration fig. for the car is 10.45 sec. Not to forget the Australian version was running on slimmer tyres and had 2Nm less torque in comparison to the Indian version. So may be that makes it slower by half a second than the Indian cedia.
Just a question I would like to ask here. Is the a/c kept on or off during all these pick up tests? No magazine specifies it.
pete mitchell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 00:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
R these figs from a vbox or a stop watch? Id wait till the mags test its performance.

BTW, heres what Overdrive got with the 125ps version of the Cedia (using vbox). Mind you, this version had 104ps/ton as compared to the 93ps/ton version being discussed here.

Under the hood the Cedia gets a 2.0-litre, four-cylinder, 16-valve powerplant that puts out 125PS of power at 5500rpm and a solid 173Nm of torque at 4250rpm. With the Cedia tipping the scales at little less than 1200kg this makes for a very good power to weight ratio of 104PS/ton and sees the car hit 60kmph in 4.6sec. The 100kmph mark comes up in 11.04sec while she takes 17.69sec to cover the quarter mile run.

Source - MITSUBISHI LANCER CEDIA-Overdrive

Shan2nu

Here are the autocar figures

http://autocarindia.com/new/Images/R...hi%20Cedia.pdf

Says 0-100 in 10.23. I got the 9.89 figure from dynolicious when using an iphone.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 01:49   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hehe, so according to them the 115ps Cedia is quicker than the 125ps version?

Prob the same way they said the 125bhp corolla is quicker than the 150bhp RS.

Anyway, if theres a vbox in Blore sometime soon, i'l let you know, it'l be interesting to see what figures we get.

Shan2nu
Old 16th November 2008, 20:09   #69
Senior - BHPian

here's the new version when launched in kolkata. it has got one of the most aweful satnavs inside.
Attached Images

amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 10:43   #70
VMG
BHPian

Went to MAYA Motors yesterday at Chennai for a check up. Service people were excellent and very good service.
Saw the new Sports model and the on the road price is 11.48L. When I bought it about a year ago, I paid 9.6L on the road price for Sports model.
1.88L is more now, of course with some additional features.
I think still it is worth compare to other D segment cars.
I think resale value will be more those who bought an old version of Sports or any model. am I correct?

I love my cedia and enjoy driving.
VMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 11:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hehe, so according to them the 115ps Cedia is quicker than the 125ps version?

Prob the same way they said the 125bhp corolla is quicker than the 150bhp RS.

Anyway, if theres a vbox in Blore sometime soon, i'l let you know, it'l be interesting to see what figures we get.

Shan2nu
there is no 125ps version, unless Overdrive worked on the engine themselves! The 2L engine does not makes 125ps even in US spec versions!

Overdrive figures are usually slower than autocar figures for 0-100kmph dash. So, one of them is wrong, I guess.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 26th November 2008 at 11:05.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 14:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

I feel the new Cedia Sports is outstanding in terms of OEM fitments.Imagine which other car manufacturere gives OZ Wheels and Momo Steering with an awesome touchscreen Satnav,bluetooth and DVD player.
I wish i waited few more months before i acquired my Sports Cedia...but i would have ended up paying huge tax...
anyway im happy driving my Yellow Kamikaze below
Attached Thumbnails
Facelifted Cedia Sports Presentation!-p8080009.jpg  

Facelifted Cedia Sports Presentation!-p8080010.jpg  

Facelifted Cedia Sports Presentation!-p8080011.jpg  

Facelifted Cedia Sports Presentation!-p8080012.jpg  

hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 15:22   #73
BHPian

@ Hill, sir please remove the extra stickers. The bridgestone and mitsubishi stickers are killing the look. Please only leave the ralliart and the stripes. The car would look much better with just those two things.

And to answer Shan2nu - Let me put it this way. The car is extremly drivable in the city with a decent turn radius and tourque at the low end of the RPM band. I rarely have to shift the gear down from 3rd to 2nd for turns, as the car picks up very gracefully and quickly even from around 1000 rpm. Other than that I am not really bothered by the 0-100 and quarter mile timings. At the end of the day if I want to get into boy racer mode, this car is more than enough, and more importnat than that, its the drivers skill that matters in todays city driving routines. So an 800 may be able to overtake my Cedia in traffic conditions, but then thats that. How does that really matter?
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 15:35   #74
Senior - BHPian

Mav..wish i could remove them..HM paid me for displaying each of those Mistsu and Rallliart logos.Im on Bridgestone..hence love those Potenzas.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2008, 18:48   #75
BHPian

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Mav..wish i could remove them..HM paid me for displaying each of those Mistsu and Rallliart logos.Im on Bridgestone..hence love those Potenzas.
What happens when the car is washed/waxed?
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote