Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2014, 17:54   #106
bhp
BHPian
 
bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lokhandwala mumbai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

The car is still standing in the workshop since 19th sep 2014.

The wiring was called and fitted yet the engine check light remains. Even the flying doctor after numerous visits is failing to detect the problem. VW After sales service has a bunch of stupid people i think who are good for nothing.

Just got off a call from the manager at VW Downtown Mumbai. They have now found problem with the coils and spark plugs.

I have visited the workshop also personally on 4th oct 2014 and saw no one working on the car.

VW Customer care is not able to do anything except forwarding the problem back to the workshop.

Everyday theres a new story, new problem and just assurances.

Fedup with this now. Dont know how do i take it forward and corrective action towards VW India.
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 18:00   #107
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,371
Thanked: 13,345 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post

The wiring was called and fitted yet the engine check light remains. Even the flying doctor after numerous visits is failing to detect the problem. VW After sales service has a bunch of stupid people i think who are good for nothing.

Just got off a call from the manager at VW Downtown Mumbai. They have now found problem with the coils and spark plugs.

VW Customer care is not able to do anything except forwarding the problem back to the workshop.

Fedup with this now. Dont know how do i take it forward and corrective action towards VW India.
Wrong question keeping VW customer relation standards, have you got any loaner car?

What a vague ten these guys deploy for attending issues that are long pending.

I remember reading faintly in the firm that the customer was charged by ASC fit the number of days the car was in the ASC. It is like they say 'Parking Charges'. Do check if your car too would be charged! Just a caution note.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 18:04   #108
bhp
BHPian
 
bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lokhandwala mumbai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Wrong question keeping VW customer relation standards, have you got any loaner car?

What a vague ten these guys deploy for attending issues that are long pending.

I remember reading faintly in the firm that the customer was charged by ASC fit the number of days the car was in the ASC. It is like they say 'Parking Charges'. Do check if your car too would be charged! Just a caution note.

Anurag.
Yes. A Bad condition Honda City is provided as Loaner car.

My car has been in their workshop for more then 15-18 days twice on earlier occasions and i have never been charged any "parking charges".
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 18:20   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 650 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
Yes. A Bad condition Honda City is provided as Loaner car.

My car has been in their workshop for more then 15-18 days twice on earlier occasions and i have never been charged any "parking charges".
When your car is under extended warranty and they cant find the fault with the car, you don't have to pay a dime ! that too in the name of "Parking charges"
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 13:49   #110
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
I am also facing a issue with my Passat 1.8 tsi since 2 months now.
The engine check light is on the dashboard while the car runs perfectly.
At times the MID flashes out Engine fault warnings and Steering Rack failures.
--------------
All this in a car which has just done 12000 kms.

------

Its time for VW INDIA to wake up and stop taking customers for granted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
I have posted this thread on their Facebook page. Let's see if they care to respond and act on it quick enough.


The car never goes into safe/limp mode. It's just the light is there on the dashboard. The car runs like a dream at all speeds and gears.

There has been a engine fault and steering column failure message at the MID a couple of times though.

Even I have lost confidence in the product completely. Afraid to take it for intercity drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
The dashboard was opened and all sensors and wiring were checked. They had found a loose socket which was fixed. They even charged me for opening/refitting the dashboard inspite of car being under extended warranty.

be its a very minor problem but surprisingly getting difficult to detect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
They are checking all sensors again tomorrow. I have put many mails to VW India but they never care to reply of any positive assurance. Request for technical call backs have also gone unheard.

Once the software has been upgraded/flashed by the workshop as informed to me.

The car is not in the workshop since last 2 months. But the problem persists since then. The car has been to workshop for the 5th time now in past 2 months. This is the second incident where the car is kept for more then 15 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
I think I spoke too soon. The engine check light is back again within 3 Kms after the car was delivered.


----me I have faced and heard something like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
I am personally taking the car to the workshop on Monday. Will update the fault codes here.

Such engine check light situations are just unheard anywhere.


Lack of knowledge of a manufacturer who has worldwide presence towards its own product is something very surprising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
The light is continuously on. It doesn't go away. Tried starting and stopping it thrice too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
UPDATE :-

The car is still at the workshop. There was an Schedule VW Engineer at the workshop last friday. They are still unable to detect the problem with the machine. Just keeping fingers crossed now.

How can i get in touch with the higher ups in VW India and report this problem ?? Does anyone have any link of email ID's here.

This time a Honda city Loaner car is provided to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
The car is still standing in the workshop since 19th sep 2014.

The wiring was called and fitted yet the engine check light remains. Even the flying doctor after numerous visits is failing to detect the problem. VW After sales service has a bunch of stupid people i think who are good for nothing. ----------------Everyday theres a new story, new problem and just assurances.

Fedup with this now. Dont know how do i take it forward and corrective action towards VW India.


I can completely relate with your problems bhp.

I am having exactly the same problems in my 1.8 TSI. Since the time i have had the car (less than 2 years), i have had the following issues.

1. Coconut fell on windshield and cracked it. They had to import the windshield from Germany. Took 3 weeks to give the car back.
2. Car met with a minor accident. The left side rear door was marginally damaged. It could have been easily repaired but VW replaced the door and charged me for door painting and took 3 weeks to send the car back.Also there was water found in the boot for which they replaced a small rubber part in the boot which had cracked.
3. The engine check light is on for as long as i remember. The car goes to workshop, the light stops appearing and conveniently after a few days reappears again.
4. About a month back at around 1.00 am the car stalled suddenly in the middle of the road. The engine was running, the car was starting however was not moving forward. Had to tow the car home. the next morning the car was sent to the workshop and the following were diagnosed
  • Clutch Failure. In the words of the mechanic at the workshop, the clutch had burnt and the clutch pedal had gone into the slave cylinder
  • The wiring was chewed up. Apparently by rats....
  • The boot leakage issue reappeared
Next was the hefty repair bill. Rs. 17,000 for the clutch plate, Rs. 3000 for the wire, Rs. 4300 for the slave cylinder and Rs. 7700 for labour. Total Rs. 31000. These prices are after discount because of extended warranty (10% on parts and labour)......!!

Car is expected back tomorrow with the resolutions in place. Don't know whether to keep the car or sell it...!!

Its a shame Honda has discontinued the accord. Just checked with Honda, the same repairs for the Accord would have costed Rs. 13,500/-......

Last edited by punitkakri : 7th October 2014 at 13:52.
punitkakri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 13:55   #111
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 650 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
Its a shame Honda has discontinued the accord. Just checked with Honda, the same repairs for the Accord would have costed Rs. 13,500/-......
I hope you get your car back in a proper working condition with all the issues sorted out.

I apologize for posting this but, you are mistaken.
An Accord wouldn't have left you stranded and you wouldn't find such issues in an Accord. Check light, Water leakage etc.
Captain Slow is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 14:15   #112
BHPian
 
tazmaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 660
Thanked: 1,128 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post

Its a shame Honda has discontinued the accord. Just checked with Honda, the same repairs for the Accord would have costed Rs. 13,500/-......


In 2010 I resisted the temptation of getting Superb over Accord and bought the Accord. I too had a cracked windshield due to tree branch, in my case it took them 2 weeks to fix it. Major delay was due to Insurance claim under zero Depreciation.

Rats had chewed the wire of fuel pump the same was fixed at my house by Honda for 1500. In 4 years the car has never stalled no engine check light no sensor failure and no transmission issues. I don't miss most of the features from Superb.
tazmaan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 14:16   #113
BHPian
 
TB16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 144
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
Yes. A Bad condition Honda City is provided as Loaner car.
Funny how they have given you a honda as a loaner car and not a VW. Shows how much trust they have in their own products.
TB16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 15:08   #114
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
In 2010 I resisted the temptation of getting Superb over Accord and bought the Accord. I too had a cracked windshield due to tree branch, in my case it took them 2 weeks to fix it. Major delay was due to Insurance claim under zero Depreciation.

Rats had chewed the wire of fuel pump the same was fixed at my house by Honda for 1500. In 4 years the car has never stalled no engine check light no sensor failure and no transmission issues. I don't miss most of the features from Superb.
Precisely...Seriously contemplating selling off the Passat and geeting a pre-owned Accord..!!
punitkakri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 16:26   #115
bhp
BHPian
 
bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lokhandwala mumbai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB16 View Post
Funny how they have given you a honda as a loaner car and not a VW. Shows how much trust they have in their own products.
Truethat. The honda has come as a loaner car since these guys also have a honda dealership.


Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
Precisely...Seriously contemplating selling off the Passat and geeting a pre-owned Accord..!!
I sold the latest generation Honda Accord to get the Passat. I regret the decision.

Honda Accord is a no-nonsense car. Had it for 4 long years.
bhp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2014, 20:47   #116
BHPian
 
Accent Martin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 102
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
1. Coconut fell on windshield and cracked it. They had to import the windshield from Germany. Took 3 weeks to give the car back.
I believe all service centers across all brands order for windshield after you hand over your car to them. However, if you can convince them that you will for sure purchase the glass, you can pay them some advance and continue driving your car. Once the glass arrives, you need to part with your car for just 8 to 10 hours for the adhesive to bond strongly.

I have ordered for windshield for my Accent by paying an advance and I continue to drive with my cracked windshield.

By the way, another alternative source of glass can be from the windshield experts. http://www.windshieldexperts.com/

Sorry if I deviated from the captioned topic
Accent Martin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2014, 11:15   #117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kolkata (WB)
Posts: 348
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
1. Coconut fell on windshield and cracked it. They had to import the windshield from Germany. Took 3 weeks to give the car back.

Its a shame Honda has discontinued the accord. Just checked with Honda, the same repairs for the Accord would have costed Rs. 13,500/-
Had a similar experience recently. They kept the car for 19 days and then returned it with a faulty windshield. It was covered in scratches and hard to see out of at night. Got them to replace it for free. However, they let me keep the car till the part arrived from Germany. Second time around they managed to do the job perfectly.

Lastly, nothing beats the reliability of Japanese cars. I have never encountered anything major with my Toyota or Honda other than a dead battery. My Passat is newer than the other 3 Japs in my garage, but has had more visits to the workshop than the older cars!
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 12:59   #118
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Here is the update on my car.
  1. I have got the car back with the clutch and master cylinder replaced. The old ones are kkept in the boot. The car drives fine, though the clutch is a bit tight. I guess the same is because it is new.
  2. The general engine warning light was off. However after running the car for 10kms it has come back again. This is highly irritating.
  3. Another issue has come up. When i lock the car, there are no lgiht indicators. The same use to be there prior to servicing the car. I do not face this issue whe i unlock the car.

Dunno, this is irritating for me. While these are nothing major, it tends to be a stupid irritant.
punitkakri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 08:29   #119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
Here is the update on my car.
  1. I have got the car back with the clutch and master cylinder replaced. The old ones are kkept in the boot. The car drives fine, though the clutch is a bit tight. I guess the same is because it is new.
  2. The general engine warning light was off. However after running the car for 10kms it has come back again. This is highly irritating.
  3. Another issue has come up. When i lock the car, there are no lgiht indicators. The same use to be there prior to servicing the car. I do not face this issue whe i unlock the car.

Dunno, this is irritating for me. While these are nothing major, it tends to be a stupid irritant.
An update on these issues. Spoke to VW downtown. They have agreed to get the same issues sorted out at the next service due in November 2014 without any charge,

While all this is fine, it is really disappointing to see the extremely lax attitude by a carmaker at after sales service considered to be one of the premium players in India.
punitkakri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2014, 16:37   #120
bhp
BHPian
 
bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: lokhandwala mumbai
Posts: 835
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: VW Passat - Problems Alert!

UPDATE :-

The car was back around 20-22 days back.
They have eventually found a wire which wasnt soldered properly which they have fixed. They have also changed all the spark plugs and coils.

Have done around 800-1000 kms after getting it back from service station and all is good now. touchwood.

The only sad part remains is inspite of asking them to check wiring again and again, they didnt check and made false promises of all checks being done. Otherwise so many parts wouldnt needed to be changed and i could have got the car back within a day without any frustration and so many efforts taken.
bhp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virus problems/spyware problems! post here! SirAlec Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 16th July 2014 00:05
Find the Passat's looks boring? Passat CC is here amit The International Automotive Scene 16 26th January 2008 03:12
<Newbie Alert> IronWolf Baleno Bangalore <Newbie Alert> IronWolf Introduce yourself 26 21st June 2007 20:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks