Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th October 2008, 09:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
OT: If Hyundai would have come Skoda way, from big cars to small cars, they would have a different brand image. But, Hyundai came like a small car manufacturer and that's why they are unable to sell big cars. Same thing with Maruti.

Top down approach = Skoda
Bottom up Approach = Maruti/Hyundai
Skoda arent top-down. They're more like top-to-over-the-top. The only true Top-Down example in India is Honda, and if they do go down to the lower end of the market they will massacre the others with just perception even if their product isnt really perfect. They'll charge more for it, too.

Toyota, on the other hand, are a classic case of Middle-to-Muddle.

I would tend to agree that the same problems plaguing Hyundai in the higher segments will also hit Maruti - Hyundai have as good (if not better, which is my opinion) *** and dealer support as Maruti, something they've built up in a remarkably short period of time. Yet they're unable to break through to the top. So its not just a reputation for building trouble-free cars and providing great *** that seems to count - if that were the case, Skoda should never have succeeded where they did.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 09:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

The faith in a Suzuki is endless with Indians. I think the Kizashi will do great!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 10:01   #33

Its tough for a brand like Suzuki which has a mass appeal along with Maruthi in India to sell this car in large numbers. Its really not a threat to Honda or Toyota who have a status symbol associated to them.
MNAKASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 10:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Top down approach is of VW

Phaeton , Touareg , Passat , Jetta.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 11:12   #35
BHPian

Seriosuly, its wayyyyyy different in looks than the one shown till their third version "Kizashi -3"

Kizashi can do good in India lookign at Indians faith in the brand... but yes, it will not put a dent in Civic's sales.. its far ahead in its segment in Styling...
Optra Magnum is on the other hand is known for its Driving Punch and aggressive exterior styling...
Kizashi will make its own space....
Guys, I read in some magazines and some sites that they will be bringing an "ALL-WHEEL DRIVE OPTION" in Kizashi.... is it true ???
But, one thing's assured it will be priced in a perfect manner.. they are known for their gud pricings.....
Attached Images

dhall_gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 11:16   #36

On the contrary to the popular opinion so far- I think its quite a nice car if positioned well- as an upgrade to the SX4 (Corolla, Civic, Octavia, Laura segment). I agree the car doesn't seem big enough to compete at the very top (Superb, Accord, Camry).

However, the design, even if its not a very inspired version of the Kizashi concept, would be a welcome aggressive looking option to the Corolla and Civic. Don't think we still have enough options in this bracket in India.

A 2L diesel could be popular- as the sales of swift and dezire have shown- but Maruti have yet to prove that on larger engines.
hurtem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 13:00   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

The car does look good, but the original concept looked much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Are we sure its going against the Camry. I mean, its hard to tell the size from the pics and would seem logical that they would step up to the Civic/Corolla class from the SX4.
Me thinks the same too. Looks like an offering for the Civic/Corolla segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
I am sure if Maruti can position and price it right, the car will sell. There is nothing like "Maruti is known for small cars, so they cant sell D segment ones". Thats an unintelligent statement to make.
Quite true. Let them first have an offering in the premium segment and then let us see how it does. IMO if the product is good, it will sell. Else, it will fail. As simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Do you know the sales figures of the Sonata over the past few years despite having a 13-odd lac rupees car with a CRDi engine??
Agree about the new Sonata, but the first version (Jag lookalike) did some good numbers. Atleast I could see quite some of them down south. Not sure what plagued the new Embera and that too inspite of the diesel motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava
Yes, the SX4 sold well but still could not achieve the numbers that the NHC was doing despite being cheaper than the Honda.
That's pretty simple. We are about FE and a 1200kg SX4 with all safety features and other stuff could not overcome the high-FE image of the inverted boat. Customers did not care if the car had airbags to save their lives, but wanted more kms per litre. An SX4 weighing 200kgs less, but feature-wise same as the existing one would have done the trick. A 2-3 kmpl FE difference is pretty hard to ignore when one is talking petrol cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind
Maruti cannot succeed in the 10+ lakh category, the brand is perceived to having a cheaper tag!
Till the time MSIL actually introduces a car in that segment and we see the results, this statement just remains the assumption it is.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 13:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Kizashi would work if it was priced like a civic and offered an Accord.
Sonata failed since Hyundai thought they had to price it against the accord.How stupid!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 13:42   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The Swift Dezire is a trunk clumsily grafted onto an economy hatchback.
The result is an underpowered, badly weight-distributed modification, that fails to perform with a payload of four heavy adults plus luggage.
OT: Don't know about the petrol but the diesel version of the DZire definitely does not fit your description.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 16:35   #40
TOR
BHPian

MS could well market the car in the Civic/Altis range(price) with a diesel engine and it could very well sell.

There is a badge stuck on every maruti vehicle saying 'Maruti Suzuki'(along with the model and Suzuki badge)-removing the same(hence positioning it just as a Suzuki)-might do wonders to the image IMHO-this automatically makes it a Japanese car just like the Civic and the Altis-and stops us from conjuring up images of the Omni when talking about the 'Maruti Suzuki Kizashi'-this opinion does not have any nationalistic implications, just marketing 'thought'.
TOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 16:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

When the concept was displayed there was news it was supposed to be in the D segment. Like all the member i too feel it ll be Civic/Altis territory. My only concern would be quality of interior trim levels!! Pricing should nt be a problem ! A diesel would be a bonus!( without wait period)
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2008, 17:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
And that is what puts companies like Maruti & Hyundai on the back foot in premium segments. They might have an excellent product but at that level the customer is looking as much as the product as the brand image since he would also like to show off to the Sharmaji next door about his new 'premium' car!
Maruti/Suzuki may have an excellent product (in absolute terms that is) but what about relative terms and in comparison with competition. Car buyers are not fools (at least for the most part). Compared with Balenos, Accents, Corsa/Aveos, etc; more people have paid a premium for a Honda City simply because more people think it is worth it. Consumers do go for the badge, but the badge goodwill is earned over decades through great products, not only due to savvy marketing. To succeed in above-Dzire segments, Maruti (or more importantly Suzuki) has to get up the learning curve much faster, and at the same time hope that Toyota/Honda (and to some extent Hyundai) will lose it. That is a long shot. My opinion is that they will keep on improving further, so that even if Suzuki improves, it will still lag in value.

PS: how many units has Fiat 500 sold inspite of it being touted as a `collector's item'.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 07:18   #43
TOR
BHPian

Few more pictures have cropped up-there is news that the car will be built in India and shipped all over the word!!

Engines-either be getting either an all-wheel-drive 300bhp, 3.6-litre V6 or a front-wheel-driven 2.5-litre four-cylinder unit.(speculation!!)

link
TOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 07:30   #44
BHPian

Good to know that the car will be having an all wheel drive, but it might not work in India. The petrol prices, reduced FE and all will be a pull back to the sales.

I will be good to have the car in the civic bracket. It wont feel like too over priced. And If they can bring the price close to that of Magnum, then its gonna be huge seein the size length and breadth of the vehicle.
backrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2008, 08:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
When the concept was displayed there was news it was supposed to be in the D segment. Like all the member i too feel it ll be Civic/Altis territory. My only concern would be quality of interior trim levels!! Pricing should nt be a problem ! A diesel would be a bonus!( without wait period)
Maruti is infamous for its interior trim quality.We could forgive maruti for doing it in the Swift, but if repeated in the D segment, I bet Kizhashi would be stillborn (at whatever price it may be offered).
Also, I am not very optimistic whether the current set of Maruti Dealers can handle D Segment vehicles or rather customers. I am talking about the showroom ambience, quality of sales personnel..etc.
In Kerala atleast, Maruti has tiny 'sales outlets' in every nook and corner selling everything from the m800 to the SX4. In front of banks/petrol bunks/any open area you would find Maruti Dealers conducting displays almost every day. I would be really dissapointed to see a Kizhashi sold like that. This is one good thing i like about Honda, they sell their products with 'dignity'. In higher segments you need to make the buyer feel special and the service given to him must be exclusive. Unless Maruti/Suzuki does something about this, Kizhashi would be sad story.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote