Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th April 2005, 17:20   #106
Senior - BHPian

Where the Petra will land? That would be a valid question, if the Petra takes off in the first place. It is not a tin can.

P.S. You are funny dude. Keep it up!
Old 8th April 2005, 17:30   #107
vtec

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Where the Petra will land? That would be a valid question, if the Petra takes off in the first place. It is not a tin can.

P.S. You are funny dude. Keep it up!
Well many places to land up that is if Mithun or Rajnikanth is driving a taxi. When the taxi drivers will be on a real flying lap it can just take off as they have self controlled launch control. They will launch but fail to stop jump speed breakers and will go flying on top of you. Maybe taxi drivers have a specialty with which they can attain escape velocity in a Petra

P.S thanx for the compliment

Old 9th April 2005, 12:03   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puthari
If Hindujas are buying it - then FIAT will go down further. For whatever the Hindujas are - In my opinion , they are what they are today because - they have supplied us a 100% outdated Trucks and Buses.

Iam more than happy to be corrected
We should have a new thread on buses and commercial vehicles but I do agree with Puthari on Hinduja's Leyland. They're probably the only manufacturer of commercial vehicles who still supply a bus chassis as a bus chassis - no windshield, namesake grille and NO DRIVER's SEAT.

I've seen these AL chassis being driven along to their final destination and have said a silent prayer for their drivers who have nothing but a cloth around their face for protection and a wooden crate to sit on. I have often wondered if its legal for these vehicles to be plying on thei highways.

To date, AL vehicles are the most driver unfriendly with a ridiculously high steering wheel, a gear lever which takes 2 hands and most of your physical strength to move, and everything else that makes a driver's life hell. No wonder we have so many accidents on the road involving truckers.

Tata have shown more sensitivity, providing better driver amenities including driving position and a gear lever thats almost car-like now. They were also the first to introduce a truck with an A/c Cabin - god knows the poor souls need it more than us !

So what are the best known Hinduja entities in the country today - Ashok Leyland and IndusInd Bank (does anyone bank there?) are the only ones that come to my mind....
Old 11th April 2005, 13:52   #109
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Monday the 11th of April - I dont see any news anywhere regarding last weekends supposed meeting.

Puthari / Steeroid, You have a point on the Hindujas. Also think about ICICI - Why would a finance company want equity in an automobile manufacturer? Banks & Finance companies are not here to create jobs, market products or manufacturer cars. They are in for the $$$ = Break the company and sell their assets.

GTO
Old 11th April 2005, 16:42   #110
Senior - BHPian

I think the news was mere speculation right from the start.

Besides, you are partially right. Banks are in it for the money. That does not mean that you necessarily need to break up the company and sell it off. You (the bank) would rather take a risk, increase the worth of the company and then sell it off at a higher rate. As far as I know, it is the investment banking arm of ICICI that is in the game.
Old 11th April 2005, 17:43   #111
BHPian

Although I am not too optimistic about Fiat India's future, I would like to add that its not ICICI bank its ICICI venture. They are Venture capitalists. They invest in upcoming(?) companies and exit them once they have achieved their profit target. Anyway that doesn't mean Fiat is staying back unless we have some solid, concrete proof. No rumours please.
Old 11th April 2005, 18:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

When i was speaking to the lancer bloke, i asked him how the car compared to the Petra.
The only reasons he could think of were the ASS and Space.
He also admitted that the Petra was far more comfortable and AS safe and AS sturdy as the lancer on the highway.
Old 11th April 2005, 18:28   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
He also admitted that the Petra was far more comfortable and AS safe and AS sturdy as the lancer on the highway.

PS: Moderators, please excuse the smileys - couldnt help myself!
Old 11th April 2005, 18:34   #114
DRC
BHPian

Its quiete some time I have been seeing this site.. BTW what is LOL
Old 11th April 2005, 18:43   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Its quiete some time I have been seeing this site.. BTW what is LOL
You know BTW but dont know LOL. *LOL*

LOL = Laughs Out Loud. There are lot more acronyms like LOL which are frequently used on net. Check following.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/scri8e/5/LOL_ROTF_FWIW.html

I am confused about what Steeroid is laughing about. You think, Petra is not as good as Lancer? or if you think Lancer is not good to be comapred? Or you think, Lancer guy would not have heard of Petra?

Last edited by RX135 : 11th April 2005 at 18:47.
Old 11th April 2005, 20:33   #116
Senior - BHPian

I think it has too do with the AS SAFE and AS STURDY bit.
But compared to lancer a petra is a better buy as the damn difference for the little bit of extra space and a slightly better A.S.S and interior quality is a whopping 2.5L.
Old 11th April 2005, 20:40   #117
BHPian

bid adieu to fiat. they have been here for enough time. i guess they jus dun live up to their international reputation.
Old 11th April 2005, 20:52   #118
Senior - BHPian

And Kavit,
Just what would there international reputation be?
Old 12th April 2005, 09:13   #119
Senior - BHPian

A bit off topic, but why do threads about Fiat run so long? Point to ponder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
I am confused about what Steeroid is laughing about. You think, Petra is not as good as Lancer? or if you think Lancer is not good to be comapred? Or you think, Lancer guy would not have heard of Petra?
That my friend is a mystery. But some guys just hate Fiat.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 12th April 2005 at 09:16.
Old 12th April 2005, 09:46   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
You know BTW but dont know LOL. *LOL*

LOL = Laughs Out Loud. There are lot more acronyms like LOL which are frequently used on net. Check following.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/scri8e/5/LOL_ROTF_FWIW.html

That actually means Steeroid just loves his Accent
Closed Thread