Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th November 2008, 13:23   #1
gaurav.28ch

Default Esteem - gear shift rod problem

I was travelling from Shimla-Delhi on my Esteem VXI - 2001 and on way a big rock/boulder got entangled beneath the car. Rock rolled under my car for 10-15 seconds. By the time I stopped, my gearbox got locked. Fortunately i could find a mechanic nearby who identified the problem to be arising due to bending of gear shift rod. He then opened the car bonnet and manually hammered the gear shift rod to remove the bend. Though the gears are working now,but as a result now my gearbox has become a little heavy to work around. Can anybody advice me as to what all things do I need to get replaced and approximate expenditure for the same.
Old 4th November 2008, 14:50   #2
BHPian

Default Esteem - gear shift rod problem

ot:
not sure whether this is in the correct section or not.i think this shoukd be in the technical stuff section.
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 15:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav.28ch View Post
Though the gears are working now,but as a result now my gearbox has become a little heavy to work around. Can anybody advice me as to what all things do I need to get replaced and approximate expenditure for the same.
A bent shift rod is not a good thing. Please have it replaced immediately. Should not cost you more than 600 bucks including labour. Get this done ASAP.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2008, 21:21   #4
BHPian

I would also suggest you to take the car to a good mechanic or a good service centre and get it sorted out or replaced even if it comes a little high in price. Because if something comes up with the gearbox during long drives or so, you might not even be able to push the car aside
backrub is offline   Reply With Quote