Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2005, 01:50   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs3000
I'm sure toyota fortuner will be a value for money
Value for money !!!! Well , there hasn't been a single Toyota yet in india which you can associate with the term VFM ! However ,i am preety sure, even if toyota prices Fortuner a lac + than Cr-v(though i hope and pray they dont) , it ll still kill the competition by a long margin coz Fortuner excels in every thing/term compared to the existing Small SUV's and above all it is a (genuine) toyota like INNOVA .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 08:51   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
islero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,574
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Yeah, Im sure Fortuner will be overpriced but still popular, just like other Toyotas except the Camry.

Last edited by islero : 27th April 2005 at 08:54.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 09:33   #33
BHPian
 
johnjacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore, INDIA
Posts: 344
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
Value for money !!!! Well , there hasn't been a single Toyota yet in india which you can associate with the term VFM ! However ,i am preety sure, even if toyota prices Fortuner a lac + than Cr-v(though i hope and pray they dont) , it ll still kill the competition by a long margin coz Fortuner excels in every thing/term compared to the existing Small SUV's and above all it is a (genuine) toyota like INNOVA .
Hey I disagree there - both the Qualis and now the Innova were good value for money. In fact I would go so far as to say the Innova is FANTASTIC value for money. And if you disagree, kindly explain how the Qualis notched up such sales in India which is the world's most price conscious market? And the Innova has sold over 4000 in the first month.
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 11:50   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs3000
Toyota's new SUV Fortuner is going to be much better when launched at the end of 2005, when compared to all the existing SUV's.
Have you seen the car, dude? What are the specs for the model coming to India?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2005, 21:45   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
adya33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 91 Times
Default

saw one passing me today
looked good but not great
anyways wayyy better than terracan
looks more meaner & powerful
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 01:28   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
Hey I disagree there - both the Qualis and now the Innova were good value for money. In fact I would go so far as to say the Innova is FANTASTIC value for money. And if you disagree, kindly explain how the Qualis notched up such sales in India which is the world's most price conscious market? And the Innova has sold over 4000 in the first month.
Well i am sorry dude but i beg to differ ! How can a 3 generations(more than 20 years, internationally) old model which costs around 7 lac + be known as a VFM car !!!
But yes innova is an excellent vehicle but i would still say that Toyota has priced it a bit on the higher side .

And as far as the sales is concerned see the corrola , from the day it was launched is topping the sales chart ,month after month . Now would you call it as VFM !! It ain't necessary that if a car(in india) topping the sales is a vfm .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 08:52   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
islero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,574
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

The Qualis was defenitely overpriced, but sold well mainly because during its prime, its only rivals were the Sumo and Bolero. The Qualis was not very brilliant in refinement, but those two were agricultural in comparison. And there was of course, the Toyota reliability and build quality which are the reasons why people were ready to pay an almost unfair premium for an extremely outdated product.

Corolla also is highly priced ( you can get Accords for that money in other countries), but again, it has many good qualitites, meaning people dont mind paying extra.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 10:08   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 262
Thanked: Once
Default

Both the Qualis and Innova are in the 'people-carrier' segment where over-pricing would have immediately killed Toyota in the market. They seem to have done a good job with the Innova positioning as a family car and will get away with its pricing. However, the commercial buyers seem to be going for Tavera in droves.

In the Indian car segment, Toyota see themselves in the 'premium bracket' whereas abroad these are 'janata' cars, specifically Corolla.. I am afraid Toyota will have more of this 'premium' syndrome when it comes to the Fortuner. Also, factor in the Landcruiser story and Toyota ends up with a bigger head. In all probability, Fortuner will get priced above Tucson, although I am wishing to hell that it comes out in the 10L range. Toyota are also pretty vague about the launch time-frame.
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 13:51   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: delhi
Posts: 384
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
In all probability, Fortuner will get priced above Tucson
You are preety right coz it seems that it is more or less ahead(from its rivals) in each and every term and above all its a TOYOTA . But IMO , if Toyota wants it can easily price the vehicle in the price range from 10-12 lacs as i ve been told from Toyota guys that it may get assembled here(though i dont know how much they are sure of), and still make loads of profit outta it ,but seeing the way the indian SUV market is heading ,its out of reckoning .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
although I am wishing to hell that it comes out in the 10L range.
Keep on dreaming man .....
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2005, 17:51   #40
BHPian
 
manticore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cochin/New Delhi
Posts: 298
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Saw two of them in Delhi in the past few days, a black and a silver one. Spotted an X-Trail too. I'm not a soft-roader fan, so i'm not much clued onto them. Both look kinda ok though.

Manti.
manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tyre Upgrade for the Endeavour and Hyundai Tucson. Insane Devil Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 19 4th January 2006 17:54
Driven - Hyundai Tucson Beemer Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 40 15th July 2005 12:41
Hyundai Tucson launched at 14.3 Lacs! GTO The Indian Car Scene 27 9th April 2005 12:23
Hyundai to launch Tucson. v12 The Indian Car Scene 24 10th March 2005 00:05
Hyundai Tucson 0-100@2.7sec The Indian Car Scene 10 9th June 2004 03:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks