Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 29th April 2009, 09:33   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samirsarkar View Post
So do the Japs not have any pension and medical insurance liabilities for their workers across the world ?? I would be mighty surprised if they didn't.
Japanese companies entered US auto market relatively late. Their work force is much younger and they don't have as many retired employees as GM and FORD. Thats how american auto industry went down. It is not about quality and reliability as many desis in US think.
Old 11th May 2009, 11:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Apart from chevy cruze, i guess they are launching a small car too.

When i was driving towards abu i saw a smaller (a-star sized) along with cruze camouflaged speeding towards other direction. I couldn't take any images. Its sure was Chevy as all had GJ17 temp registration.

They might have come at night to abu and left 6 am. I missed them as being sunday i stayed home yesterday.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:05   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Apart from chevy cruze, i guess they are launching a small car too.

When i was driving towards abu i saw a smaller (a-star sized) along with cruze camouflaged speeding towards other direction. I couldn't take any images. Its sure was Chevy as all had GJ17 temp registration.

They might have come at night to abu and left 6 am. I missed them as being sunday i stayed home yesterday.

It was a new Spark/Beat. i have seen that too.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Would you buy a Daewoo over a Hyundai?. GM's policies are fundamentaly flawed world over and they're paying the price. The 'Cruze' will drive out of India very fast if it isn't priced right.There's nothing spectacular about it , other than it follows the mold of 'origami/cut and paste' styling cues common among all manufacturers today.
Old 11th May 2009, 15:22   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raveen_2023 View Post
Japanese companies entered US auto market relatively late. Their work force is much younger and they don't have as many retired employees as GM and FORD. Thats how american auto industry went down. It is not about quality and reliability as many desis in US think.
aye! and i think you've forgotten about the Japs making 25 Cars for every 100 man hours spent by each employee where as the US Manufacturers were making about 7 Cars respectively. The difference was efficiency
Old 11th May 2009, 15:27   #36
Senior - BHPian

The only area were the current optra losses out is that it doent have a chunky face.But interiors are fine and classy.This car-cruze is an extension of optra nad whoah look at the price ,a neat 2-3 L more than the optra.Still i expect that this would sell.
What difference does this make if the car is made or designed by daewoo or Gm as long as it is a good product and been sold by GM.
ram
Old 11th May 2009, 18:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

i saw the cruze preview on CnB NDTV and i should say im very impressed.
wouldn't mind having one of these when released.
Old 14th May 2009, 16:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Caught up with someone from GM last week. He has seen and sat in the Cruze but not driven it. He isn't directly associated with the J300 project so he didn't have too many details but as per him:

- Launch was supposed to be in July but is probably already postponed to sometime near Diwali. Reason is the fluid situation with regards to GM's financial situation and the festive occasion during Diwali.

- Initial lot of Cruze's could be CBU's. But if the launch happens during Diwali then the CBU plan could be junked.

- Price details not fixed. But he hoped that the price would be between 13-15 lakhs. Could be possible that he didn't want to disclose the price.

- Too early to tell if Automatic would make it's way here but GM, as yet, hasn't warmed up to the A/T idea.

- Possiblity of the Cruze coming powered by only a diesel engine.

Since the Cruze is among my probable next car, I was more interested in it. Didn't bother asking too much about the M300 but the car may come in petrol and diesel variants. The diesel is a 1.3L. Not sure if it's Fiat's MJD though.

Note From Mod : Team-BHP's test report of the Cruze has been uploaded here. Please continue discussion over at that link.

Thread closed

Last edited by GTO : 6th October 2009 at 12:00. Reason: Adding TD link and closing thread
Closed Thread