Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 02:45   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post

Besides if Aston Martin trusted him, then why doubt him?
He did not exactly design the Aston Martin did he. All he did was build the mockup according to their plans/spec. Hardly a design feat.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 04:18   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
All I see in the post is a small thumbnail of a Red covertible with a Rolls Royce grill and the entire car looks huge just like any other rolls royce. How can that small picture bring out so much disgust and hate for a design? Those who hate it, have you already seen it in flesh or is it the DC name?
The thumbnail is good enough for me (or is it ). What with those ugly wheel arches... I think its the first for a roller.... yuck!
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 07:39   #18
BHPian
 
spawnofsatan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Los angeles/Mumbai
Posts: 707
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Tough crowd to please...But well whatever I like it. I like quite a few of his designs, and having driven many of the cars he's modified, I can say that he's done a good job, with the high price come top quality as well!

Most of you might disagree, but then again I don't see you giving your RR away to anyone else and paying them 1 crore for a dream project!

Besides if Aston Martin trusted him, then why doubt him?
I agree the quality of his work is good, but thats where the positivity ends.

Man if I was going to burn 1 crore, I would have given it to the McCain campaign, they burnt a lot of money or give it to David Dhawan for another one of his tacky govinda flicks.

He never designed for Aston Martin, plus aston is owned by Ford and we know not to trust their discretion.
spawnofsatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 08:01   #19
BHPian
 
TuffRyder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Hehe!! That car sure looks very confused. Love the mirrors. I wonder why he din't put a dummy scoop on the hood Anyone got pictures of the interiors? From what is said, it looks like he spent most of the 1cr on the interiors. DC's designs were appealing a decade back, not anymore. How can I forget those funny add-on kits for the motorcycles that made a HH Sleek look like a superbike.
TuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 09:11   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
FlyingSpur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3,937
Thanked: 1,331 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
All I see in the post is a small thumbnail of a Red covertible with a Rolls Royce grill and the entire car looks huge just like any other rolls royce. How can that small picture bring out so much disgust and hate for a design? Those who hate it, have you already seen it in flesh or is it the DC name?
We've seen it from three feet away. And it's utter nonsense.
FlyingSpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 09:18   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Most of you might disagree, but then again I don't see you giving your RR away to anyone else and paying them 1 crore for a dream project!
I think liv2drive has already given us a rough idea of the actual car and its real price. Take a look at his post.

It takes a special sort of talent to turn a stately car into a ghastly one. Take a look at the car in the Autoshow thread - it looks neither stately nor sporty nor anything else.

If anyone really wanted a Roller coupe, the Phantom Coupe is quite a looker in its own way.

However, this is a really good way of telling the world that you have poor taste - I guess this is a case where the customer met the right designer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
Besides if Aston Martin trusted him, then why doubt him?
Granted he does a good job on interiors and he should stick to that - his external designs are so ghastly that it only takes one look at a vehicle to say that its been designed by DC.

I dont think we need to give too many reasons for 'why doubt him?' - his creations are reason enough.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 09:18   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
All I know of DC is that Aston show car he did and I was impressed by that. I didn't like his Amberoid or the other car.
Well he merely made the prototype (very well no doubt), but only according to designs supplied to him.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 09:30   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

I don't know DC personally and I can't say I've seen most of his creations to make an informed statement about his abilities, but lets look at it objectively.

For whatever he does he seems to have a thriving clientele. He's been modifying Travellers and now Volvo's for the rich and famous and I actually thought the Winger Executive he displayed in the Auto Expo was fabulous.

He apparently has struck some order for the manufacture and assembly of bodies for some supercar or something like that. Perhaps friends here with more knowledge on the subject can fill in.

The guy and his team is talented and its not a joke to do such work.

Infact its about time someone started a dedicated thread to this homespun coachbuilder and showcased his achievements. If I had more info on his work handy I would have done it myself, perhaps someone can help out.

Regardless of whether Aston did the design it was DC who executed the model and what a job he did. So there is talent.

Please guys don't think I am rooting for DC. Just that he does have talent and we need to appreciate his achievements so far.

A small experiment for enthusiasts. This Sunday take a sheet of metal and try to hammer out a shape. You'll begin to appreciate DC

Last edited by DKG : 14th November 2008 at 09:32.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 09:41   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Well he merely made the prototype (very well no doubt), but only according to designs supplied to him.
Merely?? Karlos don't you feel that was a PHENOMENAL achievement? A show car! The future of a model is at stake depending on the public's reaction to the model displayed and Aston chose DC, and he delivered.

Just think about it. You get a call from Ferrari tomorrow and they say, hey Karlos we are sending you the drawings for the F60. Make us the show car in three months. Can you even begin to imagine the enormity of what this guy achieved?

All I am saying is its very very very difficult to design a car and make a star out of it. Very few can do that. Most of us may not like DC's own work. But the guy does manage to design on his own and he actually delivers! That is a mindboggling achievement.

If you think DC is horrid take a look at American cars from the 50's. There's a football field of cars that will give you sleepless nights. A whole country (mind you the world's biggest market) lived off the crapiest designs in automotive history until recent times.

Many here won't like his designs, but he is talented, and for that he does deserve a little teeny weeny bit of our respect and appreciation. What say?

Last edited by DKG : 14th November 2008 at 09:59.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 12:08   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 656 Times
Default

It is not because I own a Safari '98 that was DCied then with a pro kit. Can be seen in my avataar. The safari turned heads then, majorly and even does it now.

I agree with what DKG espouses. Many here may not like, what DC dishes out, but that he is talented and dishes out at times a good fare is something that can't be negated. Instead of running down his creations/modifications, we must appreciate that a fellow Indian is marking prescence on the International Auto scene.

As far as the quality of his workmanship and aesthetics is concerned, shouldn't we leave it to Autopsyche, Viper, Nitrous types to pass a judgement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
All I am saying is its very very very difficult to design a car and make a star out of it. Very few can do that. Most of us may not like DC's own work. But the guy does manage to design on his own and he actually delivers! That is a mindboggling achievement.

Many here won't like his designs, but he is talented, and for that he does deserve a little teeny weeny bit of our respect and appreciation. What say?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 13:06   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I agree with what DKG espouses. Many here may not like, what DC dishes out, but that he is talented and dishes out at times a good fare is something that can't be negated. Instead of running down his creations/modifications, we must appreciate that a fellow Indian is marking prescence on the International Auto scene.

As far as the quality of his workmanship and aesthetics is concerned, shouldn't we leave it to Autopsyche, Viper, Nitrous types to pass a judgement?
Plus cut the nationalist agenda. I could not give two hoots if DC was Bangladeshi or British. If he is designing rubbish then there isno harm in saying so. Keeping our mouths shut just because he is an Indian is hardly going to help us or him. Maybe some of the youngsters will take inspiration from the slating DC gets and go on to take design to another level rather than accepting the shoddy standards set by DC.

I bet if some of the talented folks on tbhp sucha s Autopsyche were given RS1 crore they would do a much better job than DC. You either have design vision and nouse or you don't. DC just does not cut it.

Last edited by bigman : 14th November 2008 at 13:08.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 13:17   #27
nbr
BHPian
 
nbr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: MANGALORE/BALEHONNUR/DUBAI
Posts: 438
Thanked: 47 Times
Thumbs down Theres a big difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
He did not exactly design the Aston Martin did he. All he did was build the mockup according to their plans/spec. Hardly a design feat.
We are talking here about DC's designs not his quality of work in finishing details etc. The Aston Martin was not designed by DC , he was just outsourced to build the car from its clay model by the Aston Martin. Theres no effort by DC in designing that car.

The only car he has designed for an Auto company has already seen the grave like Mahindra Armada. Auto companies just gave him a chance only during he Auto Expo's. But never saw into serious production.I admit he was pretty good but that was during the 90's, when India didnt have enough cars .He did really design like TATA sierra Karma etc .But now if we compare that with teh present generation vehicles,it looks sad and bland.

Last edited by nbr : 14th November 2008 at 13:23. Reason: more details to be added
nbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 19:42   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NA
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr View Post
We are talking here about DC's designs not his quality of work in finishing details etc. The Aston Martin was not designed by DC , he was just outsourced to build the car from its clay model by the Aston Martin. Theres no effort by DC in designing that car.

The only car he has designed for an Auto company has already seen the grave like Mahindra Armada. Auto companies just gave him a chance only during he Auto Expo's. But never saw into serious production.I admit he was pretty good but that was during the 90's, when India didnt have enough cars .He did really design like TATA sierra Karma etc .But now if we compare that with teh present generation vehicles,it looks sad and bland.
Why you quoting me and repeated the same thing I wrote ?
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 20:16   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 113
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

DC's designs may not have been liked by many, but he is methinks the only indian car designer to make a mark on the international scene. otherwise i still shudder when i remember the kurla-cst road conversions i have seen.
f50xj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 21:15   #30
BHPian
 
syedhafeez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 972
Thanked: 330 Times
Default

Does a RR really need a makeover ?

Is it the same RR which was at the Expo held in Mumbai ?
syedhafeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You'll never see a Rolls Royce with its hood raised v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 13 4th September 2012 23:12
Pics : Economic Times Rolls Royce Centenary Rally. Includes 2004 Rolls Royce Phantom v12 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 28 15th February 2009 17:15
An aerodynamic Rolls Royce. v12 The International Automotive Scene 17 6th December 2008 23:02
Isuzu Panther (Chevrolet Panther) gets a makeover v12 The International Automotive Scene 3 3rd November 2004 15:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks