Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th April 2005, 13:51   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
I think we are biased towards other manufacturers against hyundai. To a common man i would happily suggest a hyundai. Its the more practical choice...which appeals to the masses.

Drifter

I totally with you . We should start accepting the fact that Hyundai does make good(VFM) cars .
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 21:03   #62
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
I m not saying that the Getz and the santro are bad family cars, i am just saying that accent onwards, hyundai cars are not good.
For the general public, they never have to think about safety but money matters only and thus opt for hyundais.
The accent is one of the most unsafe cars in india but it is VFM, the elantra however is safe and FE and VFM but looses out on everything else.
There have been many instances when i have reccomended a santro or the Getz and even the Palio ( which i still feel is far superior to both these cars) to people and i have even reccomended the WagonR (for the family man who wants VFM and not much quality).
We never said that hyundai cars are not reliable or expensive and i always maintain that thir cars are good cars for someone on the lookout for a good transportation but what we are saying is that hyundai is forgetting their principles and has begun taking us for granted just as Maruti.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 21:12   #63
BHPian

hey guys no offence but seriously there is a michael schuemacher in all of us we really would love to have the pedl to the metal n reach high speeds even a 800 is more fun to drive than a santro and the looks well all i can say is if it looks bad it really is bad all the car owners would like their cars to not only be cheap easy to maintain and give more milieage but also look good and go fast and have a good pick up so the conclusion is that hyundai is misleading the indian people the success has really gone to their heads.and with this i rest my case!
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 22:13   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
The accent is one of the most unsafe cars in india but it is VFM,...etc etc
Is this based on a documented study, Lambo? What is the source of this finding? I own an Accent and so would like to know whether I am indeed driving an unsafe car, and if so by what yardstick.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 22:42   #65
Senior - BHPian

Err...no, Lambo's comment doesn't seem well documented if one is to go by the NHTSA ratings. It received a 4-star Frontal and a 5-star Side impact rating.
Read more here: NHTSA 2003 Accent Safety Rating

Sounds safe to me. But I look forward to EuroNCAP ratings for the same. They haven't tested it yet, but hopefully will so in the recent future. The ratings for a 1998 5-Door Accent were at the least, very disappointing.
Details: 1998 Accent Safety Ratings

Also I have a feeling, these ratings might not hold entirely true for our country, as the Accent tested were probably equipped with front and side airbags, for driver and passenger, none of which are available on the cars sold in our country.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 22:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
Err...no, Lambo's comment doesn't seem well documented if one is to go by the NHTSA ratings.
My point exactly.

Quote:
The ratings for a 1998 5-Door Accent were at the least, very disappointing.
Have you seen the 1998 Accent? You wont need a safety report to feel unsafe in it !!!

Quote:
Also I have a feeling, these ratings might not hold entirely true for our country, as the Accent tested were probably equipped with front and side airbags, for driver and passenger, none of which are available on the cars sold in our country.
None of which are available in most of the other cars sold in our country, either.
Old 10th April 2005, 22:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds safe to me. But I look forward to EuroNCAP ratings for the same
Well Euro NCAP has given the Accent, 1.5 stars. It's printed in the OD car index page. Santro Xing is 3 stars. Sonata is 3. Elantra is 4

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 22:54   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
Hey guys,
the elantra however is safe and FE and VFM but looses out on everything else.

What else you want from a car , when it is thesafest in its class
, gives you good fuel effiency and is VFM . I mean ,what else the car needs to ve ?

See , we all know the elentra sales didnt pick up , mainly coz of its bland , unattractive looks . if it was having those good , flashy looks like that of corrolas and octavias , would ve really given a run for its money.
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 23:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

hyundai has always had cars appealing more to the head rather than the heart as samurai and drifter point out.

besides that they are quite pro-active in the market , infact they were the manufactures to introduce ABS on the santro, the awesome crdi technology for the common man, and peace of mind A.S.S. ....and decent cars with quality on par with the industry norms......what else do u want ?? what else would a person spending a fortune for a car look for in our country ??

cheers
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 23:07   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Well Euro NCAP has given the Accent, 1.5 stars. It's printed in the OD car index page.
Shan2nu
Looks like the figures for 1998. The aussies have pretty stringent tests when it comes to most things, and the ANCAP crash test gives the Accent (2000 onwards) 3 stars out of 5.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/accent_00_hyundaiaccent.asp
Old 10th April 2005, 23:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The aussies have pretty stringent tests when it comes to most things, and the ANCAP crash test gives the Accent (2000 onwards) 3 stars out of 5.
Yes it has. If you wanna go with ANCAP, fine.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 23:39   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Looks like the figures for 1998. The aussies have pretty stringent tests when it comes to most things, and the ANCAP crash test gives the Accent (2000 onwards) 3 stars out of 5.

http://www.mynrma.com.au/accent_00_hyundaiaccent.asp
How is the ANCAP more stringent than the EuroNCAP? Their testing procedures for the Frontal and Offset Frontal and Side impact tests are the same. If anything else, the EuroNCAP conducts Side Pole impact and Pedestrian safety impact tests, which the ANCAP seems to have nowhere listed on it's website.
In the side impact test, the car is propelled sideways at 29 kmph into a stationary pole.
The assessment protocols seem similar too, though I'm yet to get into the details. Any more information is appreciated.

Last edited by ported_head : 10th April 2005 at 23:41.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 23:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

NCAP, is the ultimate crash test for the car.
It is the most stringent.
Either ways, the accent sold here is not the 2000 model but the 1999 model.
Just saw the santro ad.
It says why pay more for a 4 seater car when you can get your favorite 5 seater car for less.
Which car are they aiming at?
I think it is WagonR.
The funny part about the ad however was that it said "Free insurance and Registration for Rs 5000.!!!
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 01:52   #74
BANNED

hey...i wud want to quote sumthn..on elantra...well i hav jst got one recently..3 months ago...jst tel me any car in india..at a price on 9.5 L ..gives u ABS ,Traction Control ,Aircon Filters,Light Sensors..which automatically switch on the head lamps ..keyless entry ,alloy's,leather interiors,8+1 CD'changer wit 6 speaker..system..and lots more...stuff...i mean..jst look at wht all u get..for tht price..its value for money guys..well as a matter of looks it might not beat corolla or skoda..but still aint bad.....
freakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 02:19   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakr
hey...i wud want to quote sumthn..on elantra...well i hav jst got one recently..3 months ago...jst tel me any car in india..at a price on 9.5 L ..gives u ABS ,Traction Control ,Aircon Filters,Light Sensors..which automatically switch on the head lamps ..keyless entry ,alloy's,leather interiors,8+1 CD'changer wit 6 speaker..system..and lots more...stuff...i mean..jst look at wht all u get..for tht price..its value for money guys..well as a matter of looks it might not beat corolla or skoda..but still aint bad.....
Which is probably why Hyundai is selling while some people are wondering when they will learn.

Wonder when THEY will learn...