Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2005, 16:25   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Which is probably why Hyundai is selling while some people are wondering when they will learn.

Wonder when THEY will learn...
Nice point. There is a lot to be learnt from Hyundai. Hyundai so far has set the standard when it comes to VFM offerings. However there is a big possibility of them going the Maruti way. 'THEY' will learn. It is only a matter of time.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 15:57   #77
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

HYUNDAI is a hyundai. Period!

Never expect any good!

BTW, you're not alone. Whole world hates them.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 15:18   #78
BHPian
 
adarsh76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 655
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Hyundai should thank its bashers

I own a hyundai car, an accent gle purchased on June 2005. Covered 40,000 kms till date. No issues. But I've seen major issues on world renowned cars like Fiat Palio, Ford Ikon, Opel Corsa and Astra during this period of driving and people abusing the dealerships for making their wallet empty. Wonder why people then only find hyundai to criticise.

But now I understood. Hyundai was awarded top class certifications from JD Power and the most recently from Forbes for addressing issues promptly based on customer feedbacks and for makling excellent VFM cars. "Luxury car at a non-luxury price" is what most critics and reviews are given for Hyundai's latest luxury sedan Azera.

So apart from Hyundai's customer feedback they might have taken some points from bashers whose opinions are genuine. Other bashers might have been treated like spam mails. So bashers keep your work going, hyundai may offer you some good rewards.

If Accent is the most unsafe as quoted here sedan then how good is esteem, ikon and corsa? They all fall under the same category in safety.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 20:13   #79
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 166
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
BTW, you're not alone. Whole world hates them.
Speak for yourself and leave the world to speak for themselves.

God bless.
soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2006, 00:09   #80
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 167
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

well the hyundai cars suck as they do ... except for the crdi's . n ya the elantra and the accent are good cars jus for a satisfactory need as u may call it... that goes only for the crdi as it give excellent FE and for a chep price in its category its a good buy for some ppl who really are not concerned with engines performances n 0 -100 times.
as for petrol there are few words to say. any one buying a petrol hyundai is a fool according to me. there is a better car in every category that a hyundai is placed in when comes to petrol. infact with the new fiesta the accent is already been given a run for its money for the CRDI as well. lolz
200mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 14:29   #81
BHPian
 
adarsh76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 655
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph
well the hyundai cars suck as they do ... except for the crdi's . n ya the elantra and the accent are good cars jus for a satisfactory need as u may call it... that goes only for the crdi as it give excellent FE and for a chep price in its category its a good buy for some ppl who really are not concerned with engines performances n 0 -100 times.
as for petrol there are few words to say. any one buying a petrol hyundai is a fool according to me. there is a better car in every category that a hyundai is placed in when comes to petrol. infact with the new fiesta the accent is already been given a run for its money for the CRDI as well. lolz
Are you sure what u said? I know many people who bought Ikon, Astra and Corsa petrol cars blaming themselves for buying it. Their wallets were ruined by the dealerships and they've go with their Ikons to the dealerships because of never ending problems. Even the new Fiesta and Aveo petrol engines have lot of criticisms. The least number of criticisms goes to Accent petrol cars only. I should say you're a fool to make such a statement because of your lack of knowledge.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2006, 21:55   #82
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 167
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Are you sure what u said? I know many people who bought Ikon, Astra and Corsa petrol cars blaming themselves for buying it. Their wallets were ruined by the dealerships and they've go with their Ikons to the dealerships because of never ending problems. Even the new Fiesta and Aveo petrol engines have lot of criticisms. The least number of criticisms goes to Accent petrol cars only. I should say you're a fool to make such a statement because of your lack of knowledge.
adarsh u r clear of what u said ????... i said there is a better car in every category ...never mentioned the ikon or the corsa for heaven sake.... eg. would be a honda city is way better than a accent petrol ... and now that the diesel fiesta has come in giving 17 kmpl and i my self drove it i find it better than the accent crdi owned by me . i have seen it the difference, fiesta looks better more refined and better built quality.

and as far as the getz is concerned its has got nothing to talk about except the space i find the swift far more better in terms of the engine and power and MAINTAINCE of a maruti which is not ruining pockets.

and for heavens go check out hyundai accent petrol cars for maintaince is a big issue with them also, ruining pokects by dealership i never spoke about hyundai maintainces cost being higher than ford or gm or honda i jus said there is nothing good to speak about those hyundai petrol cars , tell me if there is something so great about the petrol variant... the engine gives poor fuel efficiency , there is no power even my swift out races a hyundai petrol 1.6 now what do u have to say about that huh , the 0 - 100 check out for your self.
dude you are a fool to support it ! not me ... u check ur knowledge and then talk ! and for the next time address properly as view can be said out without using words like FOOL as it looks by the words you are and not me .
200mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 10:52   #83
BHPian
 
adarsh76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 655
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph
adarsh u r clear of what u said ????... i said there is a better car in every category ...never mentioned the ikon or the corsa for heaven sake.... eg. would be a honda city is way better than a accent petrol ... and now that the diesel fiesta has come in giving 17 kmpl and i my self drove it i find it better than the accent crdi owned by me . i have seen it the difference, fiesta looks better more refined and better built quality.

and as far as the getz is concerned its has got nothing to talk about except the space i find the swift far more better in terms of the engine and power and MAINTAINCE of a maruti which is not ruining pockets.

and for heavens go check out hyundai accent petrol cars for maintaince is a big issue with them also, ruining pokects by dealership i never spoke about hyundai maintainces cost being higher than ford or gm or honda i jus said there is nothing good to speak about those hyundai petrol cars , tell me if there is something so great about the petrol variant... the engine gives poor fuel efficiency , there is no power even my swift out races a hyundai petrol 1.6 now what do u have to say about that huh , the 0 - 100 check out for your self.
dude you are a fool to support it ! not me ... u check ur knowledge and then talk ! and for the next time address properly as view can be said out without using words like FOOL as it looks by the words you are and not me .
The term "FOOL" was used first by you. How can you compare Accent with City? Both are different segments. Accent can be compared with Ikon, Corsa, Petra/Siena and may be Baleno only. Even Aveo and Fiesta since they are having new generation engines shouldn't be compared with the older accent. Let the new accent launch and then you may compare it. And one more thing 0-100 speed is not the only benchmark for performance. In real world driving these figures differ. Acceleration in 3rd gear is also a big performance benchmark as its the gear where most overtakings are done.

Then I'm using an Accent GLE for the past one year. Honestly and truly speaking issues are there in the car but very very minor issues like interior rattling which was rectified quickly. You must also notice that I used my car very roughly in a wet place like kerala where it rains almost through the year. But still no rusting at all. I've driven 40,000 kms in one year. Speaking of performance you compare swift's performance with Ikon Flair, Fiesta 1.4 and Ave 1.4. You will find swift better. You cannot say only accent is below swift. If Accent was that bad car how come it sold in very large numbers? Still after the launch of Fiesta and Aveo it has sold more than 3500 units last month. It's the second best selling sedan after Honda City. Fiesta had been up in sales initialy but now it's coming down.

Accent is a proven product and no car is perfect. But you made an irresponsible and stupid statement that only fools buy accent petrol cars. Everyone in India doesn't need performance. Many people look for mileage, comfort, reliability and low running costs, of which Accent is the best.

I've posted my car's reviews and running costs in this websites' longterm ownership reports. If you dont like Accent dont buy it but dont confuse other people with your statements. The magazine which you may have seen is Autocar. Check their website and the see "Road Tests". You'll find Accent having higher rating than Ikon and Corsa.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 14:12   #84
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 167
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
The term "FOOL" was used first by you. How can you compare Accent with City? Both are different segments. Accent can be compared with Ikon, Corsa, Petra/Siena and may be Baleno only. Even Aveo and Fiesta since they are having new generation engines shouldn't be compared with the older accent. Let the new accent launch and then you may compare it. And one more thing 0-100 speed is not the only benchmark for performance. In real world driving these figures differ. Acceleration in 3rd gear is also a big performance benchmark as its the gear where most overtakings are done.

Then I'm using an Accent GLE for the past one year. Honestly and truly speaking issues are there in the car but very very minor issues like interior rattling which was rectified quickly. You must also notice that I used my car very roughly in a wet place like kerala where it rains almost through the year. But still no rusting at all. I've driven 40,000 kms in one year. Speaking of performance you compare swift's performance with Ikon Flair, Fiesta 1.4 and Ave 1.4. You will find swift better. You cannot say only accent is below swift. If Accent was that bad car how come it sold in very large numbers? Still after the launch of Fiesta and Aveo it has sold more than 3500 units last month. It's the second best selling sedan after Honda City. Fiesta had been up in sales initialy but now it's coming down.

Accent is a proven product and no car is perfect. But you made an irresponsible and stupid statement that only fools buy accent petrol cars. Everyone in India doesn't need performance. Many people look for mileage, comfort, reliability and low running costs, of which Accent is the best.

I've posted my car's reviews and running costs in this websites' longterm ownership reports. If you dont like Accent dont buy it but dont confuse other people with your statements. The magazine which you may have seen is Autocar. Check their website and the see "Road Tests". You'll find Accent having higher rating than Ikon and Corsa.

well i never said that the people buying ACCENT petrol cars were fools , but i jus used the term for genral hyundai cars , HAVING IN MIND the sonata , santro and even the getz or the elantra also. even 2 years back when i got my accent CRDI , the petrol variant was ready on delivery were as the crdi was on a 6 months waiting , though now things have changed . man if u say that 0-100 is not a matter for you and stuff then why not the diesel car its economical with the same reliability . i find the diesel of hyundai way better than the petrol and real VFM .

but look at the sonata and compare it with the accord , accord out performs , sonata with poor built quality and many other negatives which i think might already have been discussed on the forum .

the getz, the only good thing is that its spacious or else the swift out performs it. and driving is more fun in it .

the santro , now thats a good city car may be but i find the zen and the wangon r better in terms of FE and performance of the engine, looks though is a matter of personal choice.

the elantra , boring looks and the new ones copied as hyundai seems a master at that , ( about to be launched in india ) . the car is a failure the only reason for such heavy price drops . the only VFM factor may be its Crdi engine which is good with the goodies which it is supplyin but the quality of them have been a small issue.

dude dont take it so personally about the accent i got no grudges for it, even i own one, just that when you say that 0 - 100 dont matter to you and speed not such a criteria and you look for economy and perfromance then the crdi is a better choice to the same petrol car. the accent as u mentioned sold so many units 3500 and the majority of them are still CRDI i am sure for that coz that is a good car. the petrol engines need some more refinement which i think the verna the new accent avtar would offer.
200mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 14:32   #85
BHPian
 
adarsh76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 655
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph
well i never said that the people buying ACCENT petrol cars were fools , but i jus used the term for genral hyundai cars , HAVING IN MIND the sonata , santro and even the getz or the elantra also. even 2 years back when i got my accent CRDI , the petrol variant was ready on delivery were as the crdi was on a 6 months waiting , though now things have changed . man if u say that 0-100 is not a matter for you and stuff then why not the diesel car its economical with the same reliability . i find the diesel of hyundai way better than the petrol and real VFM .

but look at the sonata and compare it with the accord , accord out performs , sonata with poor built quality and many other negatives which i think might already have been discussed on the forum .

the getz, the only good thing is that its spacious or else the swift out performs it. and driving is more fun in it .

the santro , now thats a good city car may be but i find the zen and the wangon r better in terms of FE and performance of the engine, looks though is a matter of personal choice.

the elantra , boring looks and the new ones copied as hyundai seems a master at that , ( about to be launched in india ) . the car is a failure the only reason for such heavy price drops . the only VFM factor may be its Crdi engine which is good with the goodies which it is supplyin but the quality of them have been a small issue.

dude dont take it so personally about the accent i got no grudges for it, even i own one, just that when you say that 0 - 100 dont matter to you and speed not such a criteria and you look for economy and perfromance then the crdi is a better choice to the same petrol car. the accent as u mentioned sold so many units 3500 and the majority of them are still CRDI i am sure for that coz that is a good car. the petrol engines need some more refinement which i think the verna the new accent avtar would offer.
Nope i'm not getting anything personal. There is no use for me supporting hyundai even though i've one of their products. But when we say something it should be correct.

Ok lets take 0-100. Take one issue of Autocar which is supposed to be the best car magazine in India. You'll find that the base model GLE has better acceleration figures than CRDi. Though the difference is not much. I dont remember the exact figures. I'll post it tomorrow coz i dont have one now if you are in doubt.

But then take the case of CRDi's acceleration time from 20-80 kph in 3rd gear. Thats an outstanding figure of 11.2 or 11.5 secnds and viva crdi's is 10.29 seconds which even the octavia or the accord or the sonata can't beat. You'll be surprised but thats the fact. Now this driving is the real world driving. Accent GLE takes 14 seconds for this even Honda City also not much better only slight difference. Ikon 1.6 matches CRDi in this but still less. Note that Viva CRDi has better acceleration CRDi sedan may be due to the weight factor.

The new Accent and Elantra CRDi to be launched wil have 28 more horse power. That performance I think even Skoda Laura wont be able to beat. Not said by me but by Autocar who are generally anti hyundai.

Let me tell another surprise for you. The Sonata Embera too has better figures compared to Accord. But this point I agree with you that despite that Accord is better because it has a better interior and has that true feeling of a luxury car. Saying this, notice one more thing that Sonata Embera is a big hit in the USA. It has won numerous awards. But I think the next generation Sonata will be competent with Accord.

Why Elantra, Tucson and Sonata failed in India is only because that the Indian consumer still thinks Hyundai can make only small cars. But all is changed. See the recent JD Power Quality study and hyundai is third after Porsche and Lexus, even ahead of Toyota forget honda and Ford its way down in the list. If you need I'd already posted the links of that.

Yes your words were right about hyundai some 5-7 years back. That times hyundai cars were indeed a butt of jokes. But now they're different. I am not having any bias towards hyundai. I wont get anything from them even if i support them. But facts are facts and we got to accept it.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 14:51   #86
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 167
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Nope i'm not getting anything personal. There is no use for me supporting hyundai even though i've one of their products. But when we say something it should be correct.

Ok lets take 0-100. Take one issue of Autocar which is supposed to be the best car magazine in India. You'll find that the base model GLE has better acceleration figures than CRDi. Though the difference is not much. I dont remember the exact figures. I'll post it tomorrow coz i dont have one now if you are in doubt.

But then take the case of CRDi's acceleration time from 20-80 kph in 3rd gear. Thats an outstanding figure of 11.2 or 11.5 secnds and viva crdi's is 10.29 seconds which even the octavia or the accord or the sonata can't beat. You'll be surprised but thats the fact. Now this driving is the real world driving. Accent GLE takes 14 seconds for this even Honda City also not much better only slight difference. Ikon 1.6 matches CRDi in this but still less. Note that Viva CRDi has better acceleration CRDi sedan may be due to the weight factor.

The new Accent and Elantra CRDi to be launched wil have 28 more horse power. That performance I think even Skoda Laura wont be able to beat. Not said by me but by Autocar who are generally anti hyundai.

Let me tell another surprise for you. The Sonata Embera too has better figures compared to Accord. But this point I agree with you that despite that Accord is better because it has a better interior and has that true feeling of a luxury car. Saying this, notice one more thing that Sonata Embera is a big hit in the USA. It has won numerous awards. But I think the next generation Sonata will be competent with Accord.

Why Elantra, Tucson and Sonata failed in India is only because that the Indian consumer still thinks Hyundai can make only small cars. But all is changed. See the recent JD Power Quality study and hyundai is third after Porsche and Lexus, even ahead of Toyota forget honda and Ford its way down in the list. If you need I'd already posted the links of that.

Yes your words were right about hyundai some 5-7 years back. That times hyundai cars were indeed a butt of jokes. But now they're different. I am not having any bias towards hyundai. I wont get anything from them even if i support them. But facts are facts and we got to accept it.

the diesel engines as u mentioned the crdi accelerations and they are no doubt good. i never said anything about the crdis. i find them good and the real VFM as i have said earlier also as compared to a petrol of the hyundai.i dont want those figure i have seen them.
iam really not aware of the embra success in the us, but speaking to my friend in the us he told me that it was cheaper than the accord one reason being sold so heavily, quality of the interiors and buttons are bad the reason i dont like the sonata, and the looks are like a copy of the accord which is not expected out of the Hyundai car maker.

anyways what else dude ? were in kerala do u put up and what else have u driven .
200mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 15:33   #87
BHPian
 
adarsh76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 655
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200mph
the diesel engines as u mentioned the crdi accelerations and they are no doubt good. i never said anything about the crdis. i find them good and the real VFM as i have said earlier also as compared to a petrol of the hyundai.i dont want those figure i have seen them.
iam really not aware of the embra success in the us, but speaking to my friend in the us he told me that it was cheaper than the accord one reason being sold so heavily, quality of the interiors and buttons are bad the reason i dont like the sonata, and the looks are like a copy of the accord which is not expected out of the Hyundai car maker.

anyways what else dude ? were in kerala do u put up and what else have u driven .
I'm working at Cochin and my residence near alleppey almost 55 kms from cochin. I hope you know alleppey famous for tourist attractions.

Well the cars I've driven before the purchase of GLE were Ikon 1.6, Corsa 1.6 and Ikon Flair. Out of these ofcourse Ikon 1.6 was the best to drive but it was not so great in passenger comfort may be due to its hard suspension. Also the service quality of Ford is poor along with high maintenance costs. My uncle works in Ford, Detroit for the past 14 years and knowing me he too didnt encourage me to take the Ikon. Flair was very sluggish. I found the GLE better than the flair. High maintenance costs made tell "bye bye" to Corsa. Anyway my decision is right as I'd no heart breaking issues with the GLE till now and also the service quality is excellent from Popular Hyundai. The other dealer MGF Hyundai is equally good.

After that I've driven a honda city which to me was nothing special in driving pleasure although it had a great interior. I liked the Optra better than City which also I've driven. Then driven my boss's Octavia and had a test drive of Tucson recently. Let me tell you out of all these Tucson was the best in performance and also that comfort factor because it had a huge interior space. My boss too has agreed that Tucson has better performance than Octavia. But Tucson is now out of reach for me. 15 lakhs my god!!!no way now. The car I'm yet to drive is the Corolla, Elantra but I'm eagerly waiting for the Civic.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 17:27   #88
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Blah Blahh .............................................. but I'm eagerly waiting for the Civic.
That last sentence was something worth reading.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 19:49   #89
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
That last sentence was something worth reading.

You mean to say you read the whole conversation........ lol

EDIT: Whatever be it. When a person is able to afford only one small car and if that car has to be used as a family car then there's nothing else there which would fit the bill other than the Santro, even Wagon R interior is a lil cramped. Five of us have gone to Kollur from trivandrum and we were able to sit properly in the Santro. Accent also is not a bad car for that budget. Sonata, Elantra, Tucson & Terracan don't justify their price tags.

As a car the Santro or the Accent Crdi are not bad. But i don't like the company Hyundai and i don't like their advertising tactics and i don't like their attitude and i don't like their heritage.

The above said was the mind speaking... Heart tells me to choose WagonR over the Santro any day... and i think i would do it Yes i'm biased!

Note from mod : I guess all of you have made your points. Its difficult to change opinions which have been formed over years, no matter how untrue. So lets stop it right here before this flame war gets ugly.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st June 2006 at 22:32.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 22:30   #90
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,644 Times
Default

warning from moderator : Please discuss your issues offline. This thread is getting ugly and post deletion will have to be done if both of you dont stop your flame war. Such arguments dont go anywhere, and I suggest you resolve your issues in PM.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How and when did you learn to drive? camry93 Street Experiences 470 24th July 2015 14:13
"Facelifts" - Do they strike a chord? Do they make THE difference? libranof1987 The Indian Car Scene 24 21st November 2011 15:23
Power valves - What are they / how do they work? chetanhanda Technical Stuff 10 9th June 2009 16:51
Economic Bubbles - Why they form and why they burst ? DCEite Shifting gears 49 20th October 2008 16:04
HM - When will they learn ajmat The Indian Car Scene 16 21st January 2005 11:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks