Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th April 2005, 07:37   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
A Mumbai taxi is like a snowflake - no two are ever the same!
NAVI MUMBAI-PANAVEL-BHYANDER. ESSELWORLD...Bold type cut outs on rear screen. What do they mean? Something like they're proper city cabs and also have the licence to go to greater Mumbai?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 17:19   #17

the cabies are truly a pain... if you ever noticed the way they drive - they will lean on the door and with one hand streching outside and merilly doing 30km/h in the right lane.

but there are a few guys who are really great drivers, you have to give it to them. once i was comming from town to andheri during rush hour, and that day the traffic was really bad, bumper to bumper all the way till the w.e highway and this chap after some encouragement from me drove me from fountain to andheri in almost an hour... comparing this to my driver(really experienced) took around 2 hours that same day with a santro. this guy wa driving all over the roads, over the footpath, the wrong side etc and it was a fun ride home.

and once this cabs accelerator wire snapped off... no problemo the guy gets out races the engine disconnects the wire completely (atleast i saw him do just this) and off we were from haji ali to andheri... without an accelerator... the only thing working was probably the steering and the brakes... some story
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 11:29   #18
BHPian

first thing- its a brilliant topic. you know if u go to think of it thesebabbies and auto guys are now a part and parcel of our lives . if you dont have an argument with one in a day your day seems incomplete. its just something we have to live with . i love the way each one tries to 'decorate ' his cab by putting stickers , lights and those 'dhinchak' music systems which give nothing but bass.
kavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 13:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Rtech, would you still be complaining if our taxi stands looked like this?

If these were our taxis, Dippy would have been a taxi driver. And, he'd have used Mercs and BMWs just to get to the taxi stand every morning. Hehe

Shan2nu
im quitting to drive my car and mostly apply for a car driver job or go everywhere in one of these. good pic by the way
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 13:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
NAVI MUMBAI-PANAVEL-BHYANDER. ESSELWORLD...Bold type cut outs on rear screen. What do they mean? Something like they're proper city cabs and also have the licence to go to greater Mumbai?

yeah rudra,

these cabs have permits to drive into navi mumbai and panvel on the central side and cross over into bhayender and upto esselworld on the western side.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 14:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

What can i say....

Cabs...

Cant live with them....cant live without them.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 14:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
What can i say....

Cabs...

Cant live with them....cant live without them.

Drifter
oh yes that is true.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 19:13   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Rtech
Nice post man. Brings back memories of a ride I had from airport to
Chembur with our suitcase on the roof carrier. The driver was redlining the car which was acclerating in "inches per hour"
Are these guys running CNG or is it the 137D engine?

How about some pics on the latest cabs.
I heard that Indicas and Indigos are used as cabs nowadays. (sorry havent been to Mumbai in many years)
IMO, Maruti Versa would make a good cab for todays times. Spacious interior, fairly powerful engine and low price.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2005, 20:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Mpower,
The cabbies are running the 137D engine but instead of diesel, they are using CNG.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 10:25   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IMO, Maruti Versa would make a good cab for todays times. Spacious interior, fairly powerful engine and low price.
I never understood why the Maruti Van (if not the Versa) didn't make it as a Taxi. It is the cheapest vehicle you can buy today (even cheaper than a 800) and has more interior room than the Padmini. It's more fuel efficient and would be cheaper to maintain as well. It's perfect for the city.

I've asked many taxi drivers this same question and they all say that the public doesn't like sliding doors, thats why they don't use the Omni. I just don't get it!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 10:58   #26
BHPian

Rtech, the cabs in blr are all Maruti Omni by default.. only a few Indicabs.. of course, we do not have a 'kali-pili' taxi here, except 3-4 ambys at the airport which are kept together with packing tape .. all cabs here are radio-taxis.. most of them run on industrial LPG, not-CNG.. the sliding door excuse is not valid as it is easier to ingress/egress with a sliding door.. the large rear hatch also makes for a large luggage space inspite of 2 LPG cylinders lying horizontal..
Omni does make sense as a cab, although they have your heart in your mouth when driving on the ring roads..
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 11:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
was wondering what it would be like if something like that did happen ....
Nah, dont worry about something like this.. U'r mom would wake u up before that... hehehe.....
Happens to me all the time.. Dreamz Unlimited.... 12r, phew..
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 18:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rt,
The cabs in Goa also are by and large Omnis.
It would make sense for Mumbai and the best part would be that it would not have the damn bumpers.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 21:28   #29
Team-BHP Support

Very true Rtech.
The Omni is a really fine vehicle as a city taxi. It's easy to maneuvre, easy to maintain, has lots of leg room and luggage space and as long as the speed is less than 60km/h, safe enough. It's engine is more modern and greener than the Padmini. It's perfect for the small backroads of Goa and it would work well in Mumbai too. Even I am confused as to why it didn't take off as a cab in our city.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2005, 22:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I think sliding doors would be a boon in traffic. You can get out of the cab at a red signal without hitting some other car.

Dosen't Tata make a CNG version of the Indica for the taxi market? I remember reading about.....it has round taillights in the back.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote