Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 28th March 2010, 13:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJANGO View Post
HM has to bring the price down drastically, 6 L for an Amby? Come ON, guys. This is daylight robbery, and you know it. The molds and dies have been written off 40 years ago, and no fresh investment is being made on the HM side, so you can reduce the price by 40% if you try.
If they reduce the price now,they run a risk of having a zero turnover on sales.Because there are only a handful of takers out there for a brand new Amby,except Kolkata cabbies,even at drastically slashed prices. Maybe the high price tag is what's still keeping them afloat.

That said,the new Avigo with the fantastic 1.8 ISZ petrol can indeed give other cars a run for their money,with its retro looks,its comfort,space and strong performance. Only quality leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 28th March 2010, 14:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Well going by HM's love for using old dated platforms why can't they buy the dies of an old SUV platform and plonk a new updated body on it,or use the Ford panther platform when it is retired in 2011.Anyway using a new body is out of question for HM and they have to also buy the dies of an old car. Well the Birlas seem to have more serious and profitable businesses to look after than HM.
A thing more worse than HM shutting up is to introduce a BRAND NEW CHINESE CAR as the 'AMBASSADOR '
The only thing that's left to be desired in the ambassador 1800 ISZ is the quality.Especially the interior quality leaves a lot to be desired,its just kinda cardboard dash that me and my cousin's made in childhood.The older dashboard felt much better.
Just redesign the dashboard and improve the quality,along the way a coil suspension at the rear would be much appreciated.

Last edited by DicKy : 28th March 2010 at 14:36.
Old 28th March 2010, 16:21   #48
BHPian

I quite frankly think the Amby should have the decency to roll over and die.

Its a dinosaur compared to the cars available in the market nowadays.

And as far as history goes, they(dinosaurs) dint evolve and in the end died.

I know its a part of India's history, but there must be a time when it must retire for the best.
Old 28th March 2010, 19:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

The reason why the amby has failed is because of the poor efforts by in house designers of HM group.
If they had gone the mini way or the Porsche way of implementing retro style with new age lines and elements i feel the charm of the amby would have been replenished and would have done decent numbers.

The amberioid concept is nonsense and if DC expecting 50 lacs for an Amby is expecting too much.

Even though i would probably not personally own an ambassador , i would deeply miss it when it is gone.
Old 14th April 2010, 18:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wait!. Stop the Press!. I think i came upon a prototype of a 2011 Ambassador!.HM is on a revival after all!.
Attached Thumbnails
Hindustan Ambassador revival-chennai-567-large.jpg  

Last edited by nickatnite : 14th April 2010 at 19:01.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:07   #51
BHPian

Hindustan Motors is one company I love to hate. They were in passenger cars even when Tata and Mahindra were novices in commercial vehicles. This is one company which never tried to improve.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Did HM ever 'design' any original car from grounds up? Nope.
They just sold the Ambassador (Morris Oxford lookalike) and Contessa (Vauxhaul Victor looalike), which I guess was built from older dumped dies.
But somehow i still feel a strange nostalgic attachment to these 2 cars.
Old 14th April 2010, 19:38   #53
BHPian

the birlas are not serious about their HM business; had they been they would have made some development effort, if not for a new car, at lease for some facelift. every indian born before 90 would have some kind of attachment to the Amby. and still the more I think about this the stranger it seems that a company never ever designed anything in last 40 years. unbelievable.

I sincerely wish, HM does something new and develops something. Even an Amby facelift would do wonder.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:08   #54
BHPian

I think they designed something called Trekker and RTV in between. I am not sure whether they are new or from old dyes as others, but all their contribution to Indian design is trying to take it 4 decades back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
and still the more I think about this the stranger it seems that a company never ever designed anything in last 40 years. unbelievable.

I sincerely wish, HM does something new and develops something. Even an Amby facelift would do wonder.
Old 15th April 2010, 09:12   #55
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Yes. Trekker was a metal sheet box.
Contessa.. I love the Contessa shape. I can still see few Contessas painted like a Mustang! If GM facelift Contassa and promote it, I guess still it can sell in good numbers.
Old 15th April 2010, 09:26   #56
Senior - BHPian

I wish there was an engineering company that would take the classic Amby Mk 2/3 and re-work everything under the bonnet and the chassis/suspension. Or, at least, wish I knew of one.
There are a few in Europe that take classic sports cars (like the Jaguar E-type, Ferrari 250, etc) and fix all the old "classic" quirks of terrible brakes, bad quality components ... Body and interiors untouched.
Yes, yes - the old 50's metal dash in the Mk 2/3 was sooo much better than the plastic-fantastic nonsense in the Mark 4 ...
Old 15th April 2010, 19:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I wish there was an engineering company that would take the classic Amby Mk 2/3 and re-work everything under the bonnet and the chassis/suspension. Or, at least, wish I knew of one.
There are a few in Europe that take classic sports cars (like the Jaguar E-type, Ferrari 250, etc) and fix all the old "classic" quirks of terrible brakes, bad quality components ... Body and interiors untouched.
Yes, yes - the old 50's metal dash in the Mk 2/3 was sooo much better than the plastic-fantastic nonsense in the Mark 4 ...

I wish that was possible!
I too like the four dial central console of the amby - forgot which one was that.

Surely they can bring out the contessa out of the grave, fix it with help from mitsu/isuzu, and promote it as THE indian muscle car. Its got the looks for sure.
Old 15th April 2010, 23:03   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

The Ambassador has made losses for the C.K.Birla Group.This group is not too keen to invest in its automobile business as is evident in its handling of the Hindustan Motors plant in West Bengal and also in its Chennai plant, that makes Mitsubishi products.
Lately, a major chunk of the Amby sales come from those for Kolkata taxis.As per a High Court order all 15 year plus taxis are being phased out.So we see numerous new taxis on the road, a major chunk of it being Ambys with the Indigo and Indica also selling in minuscule numbers.And these Indi----whatever taxis display a printed sticker on the windscreen loudly proclaiming "SAME RATE" which made me giggle.It is aimed to drive out the passenger's fear psychosis, that these cars will charge more than Ambys.
Now back to the point, the Amby is here to stay, but there appears to be no initiative from the management to upgrade the model.For taxis the 1950's BMC engine which bears the sticker 1500DSL has been upgraded to the BS IV standards by now. Last month (march 2010) during my trip, I had seen many BS III complaint, Five speed, 1500 DSL taxis.
The Amby as a private car is very rare to be sighted even in Kolkata, which was its last bastion.The taxi and government buys sustain this car now a days.
Wish the Amby is revived with lots of contemporary goodies and a new engine.
Name:  DSC05078.JPG
Views: 9176
Size:  131.6 KB

Name:  DSC05062.JPG
Views: 4686
Size:  129.1 KB

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 15th April 2010 at 23:07.
Old 16th April 2010, 02:24   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
...whatever taxis display a printed sticker on the windscreen loudly proclaiming "SAME RATE" which made me giggle.It is aimed to drive out the passenger's fear psychosis, that these cars will charge more than Ambys.
In the same note, there are some 'green' LPG taxis (sporting the words 'Green Taxi' on the body) plying in Kolkata which are so innovatively colored - RED!
These also display the 'same fare' sticker.
Old 8th May 2011, 02:28   #60
BHPian

Default Re: Hindustan Ambassador revival

Read this report about HM planning to chop off the rear end of Amby to get tax reductions.
Ambassador Under 4m | Autocar India
Hooray ! that's it. Finally after 40 years of slumber they actualy decided to do some original designing. The day this car is released it should be declared a national holiday. After all something special is happening after 40 odd years.

Don't get me wrong. I do like the original Amby a lot. But I'm so much disgusted with the attitude of the company. Afterall they were the original car makers of India for several decades and still don't have any expertise to show off. What did they learn all these years?
Personally I believe that HM should either hire a good design team / engineers to do this job (If they already have an existing team, all of them should be fired and replaced by a younger team / fresh graduates / motor heads). There's only a limit upto where an old dog can learn new tricks.. Why can't they simply outsource the design of the car to people who know how to do it, plonk a mitsu derived engine in it and that's it. Is it really so hard to do that?

I think we should hold a competition to get some new designs for HM Amby. Pick the winner every month and send the sketches to HM office. May be that'll spur them into some action. Or else wa it for eternity.
Closed Thread