Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th March 2013, 13:36   #76
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hindustan Ambassador revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
HM Ready To Rollout BS4 Diesel Ambassador.
Actually should be quite easy to shorten the Amby to less than 4 mtrs by removing the extra space upfront and in the rear. But considering how tall it already is this will make it quite disproportionate visually.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 14:38   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Hatchback Ambassador to hit roads next year.

Hindustan Motors Ltd (HM) is planning to launch a new-age hatch-back version of the iconic Ambassador car.

Quote:
We have just started the R&D (research and development) work. This hatchback version of the Ambassador will have all kinds of features and better interior, which a new-age customer looks for.
http://www.business-standard.com/art...1800279_1.html
Old 27th March 2013, 22:49   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Some good news from HM for Ambassador fans. The company has for the first time after a gap, reported profits during the Oct-Dec 2012 quarter. The current quarter will also record huge gains if sales figures are to go by. They have a new CEO Shri Uttam Bose, ex Hero Motors, at the helm who is taking interest to prop sales.Indeed, Ambassador car sales are on a rise, driving all the growth at HM lately.

More on this link:

http://www.smartinvestor.in/market/C..._the_brink.htm

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th March 2013 at 23:03.
Old 29th April 2013, 21:10   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Our President still prefers the Ambassador as his official car. Here is a picture from his visit to Puri during last week.

Name:  113.jpg
Views: 3870
Size:  83.9 KB

(picture from The Hitavada, Nagpur)
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 09:05   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Some good news from HM for Ambassador fans. The company has for the first time after a gap, reported profits during the Oct-Dec 2012 quarter. The current quarter will also record huge gains if sales figures are to go by. They have a new CEO Shri Uttam Bose, ex Hero Motors, at the helm who is taking interest to prop sales.Indeed, Ambassador car sales are on a rise, driving all the growth at HM lately.

More on this link:

http://www.smartinvestor.in/market/C..._the_brink.htm
I am skeptical of such announcements. Specially when they have been promising a BSIV version of their 1.5L diesel engine for like 3 years now. The deadline is up now at the end of this month after so many special notifications by the state government in contravention of the central laws. If there was really a BSIV compliant engine at least some of us would have seen some test mules with the required gear. I have heard pf or seen none. Almost all of HM's Amby sales are to the illegal taxi segment in the Kolkata Metropolitan Area. Given the high emissions from a BSIII engine compared to BSIV ones it seems we would be spared from these smoke belchers pretty soon as per this news report.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20114357.cms

This time it seems the transport minister is adamant in bringing in the required change which is much needed. HM can still continue to sell in BSIII cities till the next year I think after which even those cities have to become BSIV compliant or is it by 2015, I am not sure. But here are some quotable quotes from this news report.

The transport minister
Quote:
A city's public transport system portrays its image. For decades, Kolkata has been stuck in a time warp with the 40,000-42,000 cabs remaining unchanged. The scene is very different in other cities. It's time we changed too
and
Quote:
Driving a car that is difficult to maneuver and offers no driving comfort takes a toll on cabbies. Such is the level of discomfort that many shed their shirt and drive bare-bodied. Most drivers become irritable - some smoke bidi while driving and most acquire the habit of refusing passengers. We want this culture to change. And it will if the drivers feel happy behind the wheel
Even the taxi associations desperately want a change
Quote:
We want HM's monopoly to end. The government did allow HM to sell BS III taxis till May 27 but it has made it clear that beyond that date, only BS IV taxis will be allowed. We also want to try out other vehicles. If they can ply in other cities, why not in Kolkata?
Now all would depend on the government following up its words with real action.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2013, 23:22   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the information Mr Dhar. The last time when a changeover was attempted from the Ambassador to other brands due to the BS III deadline sometime in 2009 (the deadline was March 31st 2009 for metros), very few taxi drivers went for other brands like the Indigo CS and so on.
They were so wary about not getting passengers that they had to display "Same Fare" on their windscreens.I have personally clicked some photos of such Indigos too!

Name:  081209_144704.jpg
Views: 3476
Size:  105.3 KB

(teambhp picture with SAME FARE sticker on the rear windscreen posted by Amit V8)

Meanwhile, here is another news link from 2009, when a similar attempt was made:

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...bs-tata-motors

The average taxi driver is so proud of the brand Ambassador, that moving away will be very tough.

Hindustan Ambassador revival-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-007.jpg

The donkeys job

Hindustan Ambassador revival-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-085.jpg

Lugging on despite injuries

Hindustan Ambassador revival-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-101.jpg

Hindustan Ambassador revival-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-053.jpg

A brand new Amby taxi

And its tough to imagine any other car can do the donkey's job Ambassador taxis have been doing in Kolkata.

Mumbai has faced a similar situation with its Premiers, but lately thousands of taxis of other brands have entered the taxi fleet here. This is solely because PAL has closed down sometime in the late 1990's.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th May 2013 at 23:28.
Old 18th May 2013, 23:44   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Almost all of HM's Amby sales are to the illegal taxi segment in the Kolkata Metropolitan Area.
I am unable to accept this view of yours. How can all 3000~5000 taxis be illegal?

If you are from Kolkata, then you must have seen the fate of Premier Padmini taxis, Maruti Omni taxis and later the Tata Indigo ones.
Old 19th May 2013, 00:00   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the information Mr Dhar. The last time when a changeover was attempted from the Ambassador to other brands due to the BS III deadline sometime in 2009 (the deadline was March 31st 2009 for metros), very few taxi drivers went for other brands like the Indigo CS and so on.
They were so wary about not getting passengers that they had to display "Same Fare" on their windscreens.I have personally clicked some photos of such Indigos too!
If you have lived and spent time in this city long enough you would probably understand the psychology the people here suffer from. For years on they were used to voting for the same government, going to the same office, boarding the same rickety buses, comfortable with the extra longish tram rides to their places of work, but I digress. So any change from the usual even if for the better was met with tremendous fear. Quite naturally they were afraid of boarding a sleeker looking Indigo taxi (I cannot believe I am calling Indigo sleek) when compared to the Amby. The thought of a possible higher fare naturally entered their minds and hence those disclaimers you have seen. Also the transport department only allowed registration of Indigo taxis for a very limited period because the Birlas pulled some more strings, hence the very low number of Indigos.

I can understand that there is quite a tinge of nostalgia for this car. Sure it is made of solid cast iron maybe, finish be damned, but that is exactly the reason taxi drivers here drive with utter recklessness as they are simply not bothered as to what happen to their taxis while they happily inflict damage to other road users. Besides most of these taxis are so horribly maintained that maybe just after 2 months even in a new taxi you can start feeling all the seat springs up your backside when in the rear seat. I apologize upfront hurting any sentiments here but really if folks love the Amby taxis so much, please take them to your city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
I am unable to accept this view of yours. How can all 3000~5000 taxis be illegal?

If you are from Kolkata, then you must have seen the fate of Premier Padmini taxis, Maruti Omni taxis and later the Tata Indigo ones.
Umm. That is because I think since three years back the central laws forbade selling of non BSIV vehicles in the four metropolitan areas. The state government bypassed those laws by bringing out periodic notifications which allowed the sale and registration of these BSIII Ambys as taxis in the Kolkata Metropolitan Area in contravention of the central laws. That is why it is illegal. The taxi segment only buys the 1.5L diesel ones which are only BSIII compliant and they want to continue buying the same and register it in the Kolkata Metropolitan Area replacing their 15 year old ones because its the cheapest. Curiously till very recent times the transport department absolutely refused other vehicle manufacturers to offer their vehicles (BSIV compliant ones) to sell it to the taxi segment. Some weird logic was used but I guess it was due to the pull of the Birlas who want to continue , you get the picture . This has been discussed in detail here if you circle back a few posts on this thread. Frankly IMO this clunker relic is best buried quickly.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 19th May 2013 at 00:11.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 00:14   #84
Senior - BHPian

First of all, taxi or CV owners anywhere in India would like something which is cheap and with easily exchangeable spare parts. So this is nothing exceptional in Kolkata. If you argue, then I have to say the whole of India still uses TATA and AL trucks, padmini taxis (till a couple of years back) and of course Jugaads. Then what's the problem with the Amby?

It is the fault of the company which still produces the old engine. They could have easily converted to BS4, but didn't. Then it is the problem of the govt. which extended the deadline one after the other.

It is neither the fault of the taxi segment, nor the car itself. (Remember VW produced the beetle till 2003 and the T2 camper till 2012~13)
amit V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 18:11   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
First of all, taxi or CV owners anywhere in India would like something which is cheap and with easily exchangeable spare parts. So this is nothing exceptional in Kolkata. If you argue, then I have to say the whole of India still uses TATA and AL trucks, padmini taxis (till a couple of years back) and of course Jugaads. Then what's the problem with the Amby?

It is the fault of the company which still produces the old engine. They could have easily converted to BS4, but didn't. Then it is the problem of the govt. which extended the deadline one after the other.

It is neither the fault of the taxi segment, nor the car itself. (Remember VW produced the beetle till 2003 and the T2 camper till 2012~13)
You are quite right Amit. We as Ambassador lovers would not want the same old polluting engines to continue to be made and pollute a any town, city or metro despite the existence of the Hon'ble Supreme Court guidelines to phase out these in the designated metropolitan areas by 31/03/2009. These cars need to evolve with the times. Though they keep the same basic body shell, the dynamics (suspension), drivetrain and powertrain can be modernized.
After all, its a country where tolerance is very high for all things odd. And therefore the old rickety Tata trucks, buses,the other polluting vehicles continue to ply.
As I talk a lot with individual taxi drivers while on drives in Kolkata, I find that their loyalty to the Ambassador is and has been at an all time high.But at the same time they need to maintain these which they do not as Mr Dhar has rightly put.
As regards the newer makes (if at all they come) their condition will also suffer the same fate as Ambys, given the fact that mindsets seldom change.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th May 2013 at 18:16.
Old 20th May 2013, 13:29   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
The one on the left looks like the result of a torrid and passionate love affair between the original Amby and the Tata Ace .
You made my day. Hilarious to imagine how this encounter happened and all the other exciting possibilities in the dalliance between a Tata Ace and an Ambassador ;-)

Last edited by vishwas : 20th May 2013 at 13:31.
Old 20th May 2013, 13:51   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
As I talk a lot with individual taxi drivers while on drives in Kolkata, I find that their loyalty to the Ambassador is and has been at an all time high.But at the same time they need to maintain these which they do not as Mr Dhar has rightly put.
As regards the newer makes (if at all they come) their condition will also suffer the same fate as Ambys, given the fact that mindsets seldom change.
To be frank I have nothing against the taxi segment as such. My only beef is with the conditions of these cars itself. You have rightly put that it is the HM owners who are at fault here for not at all keeping up with the times. You should also understand why they do so. I have a huge suspicion that the factory is now just a tax dodging mechanism used as part of the other business interests the Birlas own. That and the 400+ acres of prime land they hold. In fact there are now different court cases they are fighting with the government for trying to use part of this land as an IT-SEZ.

Their callousness reflects on the product they build. The cars are shoddily built and cannot take abuse for long. Compare the Logan/Verito for example. Aside from that you would frequently see these taxis broken down in the middle of the road due to some reason or the other. I have often seen the rear axle assembly just disengage and plonk on the middle of the road this being a rear wheel drive. The steering alignment on most of them are visual nightmares. The wheels point in one direction while the taxi driver is turning the steering in another. Tail lights do not work, forget indicators which are rarely used (I have even heard the excuse from one of them that using the indicators will make them defunct. I will give him that since its an Amby ). The headlights have lower output than candles. You have to really look into them hard to make out if they are switched on. But the moot point is these are smoke belchers and should not be plying at all. Sure if they move to newer brands their mindset might not change with respect to maintenance but the one thing that will change for sure is their confidence that they can continue driving their cars recklessly through traffic without giving any thought to other road users .
Old 20th May 2013, 14:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

For all the discussion of an Amby taxi being rickety, smoke, belching, bumpy contraptions. A ride in a proper new non-taxi Amby especially the 1800ISZ and the 2000DSZ (Even the 1500 ones), reveals a very pleasant experience. The transformation a cab gets from leaving the showroom to hitting the roads at the hands of roadside mechanics, all due to the cab-owners belief that the vehicle needs extra strengthening and stiffening of springs required to deal with Kolkata roads, impacts the way the cabs behave.

The newer personal use Amby's do work great as a back seat sofa ride in air conditioned comfort.

Last edited by 1100D : 20th May 2013 at 14:26.
1100D is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2013, 18:45   #89
BHPian

Default Re: SCOOP : New HM Ambassador (CS Version)

Hindustan Motors is all set to launch the BS IV compliant Diesel Ambassador. The 1.5L BS IV Diesel was displayed at HMís Uttarpara plant today. Importantly, the BS IV-compliant Ambassador can be sold by HM in 17 metropolitan cities again. The Ambassador was not being sold in these cities as sale of BS III cars had been banned from April 2010. HM says that the BS IV Diesel Ambassador will be launched in the market with a new name.

The demand for Diesel cars has seen a revival of the Ambassador's fortunes, outselling much more modern sedans by a handy margin. The Ambassador sold 500 units in March, outselling Fiat's Linea (120 units) and Ford's new Fiesta (98 units). The launch of the BS IV Diesel Ambassador could see sales climb even further for this vintage survivor.

Hindustan Ambassador revival-dsc_0083.jpg

Hindustan Ambassador revival-dsc_0078.jpg
Redline6800 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th May 2013, 10:50   #90
BHPian

Default Re: SCOOP : New HM Ambassador (CS Version)

Not wanting to sound like an arm chair critic but, (ok maybe a little bit), some mods on the body like what we have seen on these forums and developing an indipendent rear suspension and tweaking the front, it can be made to look and handle more like a modern sedan.
Closed Thread