Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th April 2005, 16:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Well, we had an omni in our family long time back.... in fact i learnt to drive in that very car only. We used to do a lot of Delhi - Patiala trips in that one... and mind you, in those days the Delhi - Rajpura NH1 was only a 2 lane road most of the way. Throw in those rash Haryana Roadways buses and you got a recipe for disaster. But the 5 years that we had omni with us, not a single accident... not a single breakdown. And we used to ferry stuff like washing machine etc in it! Finally sold it off... still see it running around in patiala whenever i go there!

As far as safety goes... its how u drive that matters more than what you drive.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 22:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

i completely agree agree with the person that said that Omni is one of the most unsafe cars in India. But it sells...'cos who cares about safety??..we want low price, high Fe, CNG etc. lambo, i was thinking the exact same thing that the Verso should be transformed to take over the Omni share in the market.
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2005, 23:47   #33
Senior - BHPian

But Deeps,
Maruti will not do it because of the tremendous profit they are making by killing people by selling the Omni.
As of today, maruti has the longest range of products which are unsafe.
How come, we do not have crash testing here?
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2005, 14:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

true, lambo. MUL will not do anything until their cars keep selling. But i really think that it'll come back to hurt them in the long-term.
Old 13th April 2005, 14:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
But Deeps,
As of today, maruti has the longest range of products which are unsafe.
I am not a very big fan of Maruti, but I do have to add that we Indians are very unsafe drivers. Why blame only the car? And if you make the car heavy and strong people start cribbing about F.E.
typeOnegative is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2005, 14:44   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just have a grouse against car manufacturers who Do not have safety features not bulit in.
If by safety you mean a large body, then no, Maruti doesn't have much to suit the bill. But, when it was launched, the M800 was probably the safest car on sale in India. Disc brakes, responsive steering and reliable lights/indicators. All inbuilt as you put it. These will help you avoid an accident.

However calling Maruti contemporary is pushing it! The only reason it seemed so was because the Govt. had tight restrictions on the Auto segment at the time. So, after years of nothing but Padmini's and Ambassodors, anything would seem contemporary!
But, Maruti are now doing exactly what Premier and HM were doing at the time. Flogging off decade old vehicles to the public. Lets hope the Swift is the begining of a changing mindset at MUL.
Rtech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2005, 15:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Type1,
cars need not be heavy to be safe.
It is true that indians and specially cabbies are unsafe drivers but then it is also partly the governments fault for not making special lanes for cabbies and not improving our roads.
Car manufacturers however should still make safer cars however and us not driving safely is no excuse for not making unsafe cars.
The people of India would go and buy safer cars had the government done something about the fuel prices.
Now FE is the most important aspect on peoples minds.
And while they are doing that they should consider a 1 child per family thing too to ease the population and hence the traffic.
They should even punish jaywalkers if a car hits them as it is their fault and give cabbies better and slower vehicles and TEACH THEM HOW TO DRIVE.
Old 13th April 2005, 17:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Type1,
cars need not be heavy to be safe.
..... and give cabbies better and slower vehicles and TEACH THEM HOW TO DRIVE.
I know dude. But heavier is still better than the paper thin sheets that MAruti likes to make its vehicles with.

Regarding the rest of your recommendations, well there a lot of thigs that can be done, but the first push should come from the people themselves. If all of us are basically idiots on the road, then whether the car is safe or not does not make a difference. People will still die.
typeOnegative is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2005, 19:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hey typeone,
you are rigt.
If the general janta starts to boycott maruti cars for not being safe i am sure they will get the message.
Old 13th April 2005, 19:28   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey typeone,
you are rigt.
If the general janta starts to boycott maruti cars for not being safe i am sure they will get the message.
Hehe its teh general Janta who has craving for more & more mileage ot or every thing that moves

Seriously speaking such cars will keep selling untill people start thinking more about their safety than money. Amen
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2005, 20:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

A human will always make mistakes, causing accidents is in their general nature so to speak...
so we cannot say people can improve their driving techniques and still drive unsafe cars...

Its upto the manufacturers to provide international standards of safety to us. The government should also do its bit. Its about time crash testing became mandatory in India...We deserve it as much as anyone else. And more so because Indians are one of the most reckless drivers around the world.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 13th April 2005 at 20:56.
Old 13th April 2005, 22:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

And yet we do not loose as many lives in road accidents.
Anyway unless the government does something about the increase in fuel prices, FE is always going to be priority.
Hell even i get tempted to go for a FE car like the accent CRDi which is unsafe.
Old 14th April 2005, 10:00   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Its upto the manufacturers to provide international standards of safety to us. The government should also do its bit. Its about time crash testing became mandatory in India...We deserve it as much as anyone else. And more so because Indians are one of the most reckless drivers around the world.

Drifter
Agreed, but how many people are willing to pay for it, forget common people how many Bhpians drive cars which has ABS, Air bags etc ???

@lamborghini: Dude why do you say Accent CRDi is unsafe
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2005, 11:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hell even i get tempted to go for a FE car like the accent CRDi which is unsafe.
Yeah lamb...enlighten us.

Quote:
And yet we do not loose as many lives in road accidents.
Are you sure about that? Lives lost in traffic accidents in India is among the highest around the world.

Please refrain from making baseless statements.

Drifter

Last edited by drifter : 14th April 2005 at 11:49.
Old 14th April 2005, 11:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, but how many people are willing to pay for it, forget common people how many Bhpians drive cars which has ABS, Air bags etc ???
I for one wanted desperately that ABS be there in my accent...but the company does not offer it on the CRDi. I would have paid a premium for airbags and ABS.

But i agree not many may think like this. Education is the key.

Drifter
Closed Thread