Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2005, 01:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Seatbelt law is a step in the right direction.
Its interesting you mention seatbelts in an Omni thread. Has anyone seen the kind of seatbelts that Omnis,Sumos have? I don't know about the newer models but definitely the older generation ones just have a trap that goes over the shoulder of a driver and there is no provision to tighten the belt. So all you have is a strip of cloth going across the chest which will do absolutely nothing in the event of a crash but it'll save you a few hundred Rs. worth of fine from the traffic cop.
Old 16th April 2005, 03:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
Its interesting you mention seatbelts in an Omni thread. Has anyone seen the kind of seatbelts that Omnis,Sumos have? I don't know about the newer models but definitely the older generation ones just have a trap that goes over the shoulder of a driver and there is no provision to tighten the belt. So all you have is a strip of cloth going across the chest which will do absolutely nothing in the event of a crash but it'll save you a few hundred Rs. worth of fine from the traffic cop.

dude your not totally right on that.you can adjust it but you have to do it manually which is a big pain and no one really goes through the trouble of doing that.so basically as you said its justa piece of cloth crossed over your chest.the new omnis and sumo victa's have the proper seatbelts which adjust and lock themselves automatically.

Rev
Old 16th April 2005, 20:30   #63
Senior - BHPian

oh..ok. I didn't know it could be tightened. All the ones i've seen were as loose as they could get which obviously does nothing to protect the ocupant.
Old 16th April 2005, 22:19   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dude your not totally right on that.you can adjust it but you have to do it manually which is a big pain and no one really goes through the trouble of doing that.so basically as you said its justa piece of cloth crossed over your chest.the new omnis and sumo victa's have the proper seatbelts which adjust and lock themselves automatically.
A proper seatbelt is one that has a "inertia-reel" mechanism. Which means that if you pull it out gently, the spring loaded belt will come out..........but if you try to yank it hard (like in a crash), the belt should lock itself. I cannot confirm if the old sumos or omni's had this type, maybe some one can checkup.
Old 16th April 2005, 22:33   #65
Senior - BHPian

no the old ones did not have that.thats what i had said.they had to be adjusted manually and then they just remained tight.but the new ones have that inertia reel mechanism.even the really old maruti 800's didnt have them.

Rev
Old 16th April 2005, 23:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Our old 800 has the ones which acted like a piece of cloth.
The newer ones however have a proper one.
But what really surprises me is that in the ad, radial tyres and power brakes are considered as FUTURE READY TECHNOLOGY.
If this is going to be the future, i am going to be happier in the present.
Howcome there is no height adjustable headlamp?
Isn't that compulsary now days?
Old 17th April 2005, 20:31   #67
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
there is a turn up ahead and the truck in front of you is moving really slowly.you decide to overtake him .you do that and the next thing you know is your on the curve , to the left is the truck , to the right is a drop and right in front of you is a speeding car or bike , what do you do and then BANG !!! If he was just patient and waited to clear the turn before overtaking it would not have happened.thats just one thing that comes to my mind right now.
Hey revtech, Swap your Maruti Van with the speeding car or bike in front and read the whole story again to get the other side of the coin..

Manish.
Old 17th April 2005, 21:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

The discussion in this topic has been diverted miles away from a Maruti Van. Topic Closed
Closed Thread