Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2009, 15:00   #196
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

And what exactly is this permission business all about?! Are we wanted criminals?
Perhaps to prove that you are not roaming around in a stolen car! Very recently a huge inter-state car robbery racket was unearthed, and such a question was just obvious.
binaiks is offline  
Old 5th February 2009, 15:04   #197
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,242
Thanked: 692 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Very innovative, I must say - local police NOC indeed.


What the? After paying the absurd local tax, now this. Bangalore Police are the most pathetic. I think everyone paid the taxes and so they have come up with this.

What challan can they give you incase they ask for the above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Perhaps to prove that you are not roaming around in a stolen car! Very recently a huge inter-state car robbery racket was unearthed, and such a question was just obvious.
You made this up or is it required.

What does it imply carry a document from the local police that the car i own is owned by me and not anybody else? Am i contradicting myself here?

I thought the RC, Insurance are proof enough. The onus is on the Police to know.

In such a scenario every car will have to be checked everyday!!

Last edited by Spitfire : 5th February 2009 at 15:07.
Spitfire is offline  
Old 5th February 2009, 16:19   #198
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,478 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Perhaps to prove that you are not roaming around in a stolen car! Very recently a huge inter-state car robbery racket was unearthed, and such a question was just obvious.
If i was smart enough to steal a car the last thing i would do is roam around with it. It would be stripped, and the parts would probably land somewhere as abstract as timbuktoo. Then it can be carried around and no one would even care. Or will the cops search for road tax among spares as well?!
benbsb29 is online now  
Old 7th February 2009, 01:11   #199
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 615
Thanked: 11 Times
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hi Guys,

Need your opinion on this urgently. Here are the facts:

My girlfriend is from Goa, and she has recently shifted work base to Bangalore. Now she requires a vehicle for her daily commute. Her options are to either get her Spark (Goa registered, hardly a year old, clocked 7k kms) or buy a new car here, in the 3-4 lakh budget.

Now, I came across this thread and am really confused as to what advice I should give her. From the looks of it, driving and registering another State's vehicle in Karnataka is a big hassle, and requires a lot of money to be spent also. SO i have 2 questions:

(1) Can you enlighten me on the exact procedure to be undertaken to make sure the Goa registered Spark is in conformity with all road tax rules? That is, what is the procedure for paying road tax and obtaining a new registration (since the car is for long term use, definite more than one year). How long does the entire process take? I have had a look at the Karnataka Transport Department site. Your inputs on this matter please.

(2) Does it make more sense to leave the car is Goa and purchase a new car here, from the point of view of hassle/money that will inevitably be incurred?

Please let me have your advice, since need to make the decision within next few days.

Thanks,
Arindam.

We can talk about moving petitions and changing the laws amongst other things, but those things do not happen over-night. I am not aware of any agency/ car dealer who has nation-wide pre-owned car dealerships.

The Easiest, best and the cheapest way to avoid all RTO and other hassles is to find someone who is moving from Karnataka to Goa and swap your car with him. (Easier said than done, but i do believe in the power of networking !!) That way, both of you guys save money and it is perfectly legal. More like a win/win deal..

I am looking to swap my Hyderabad registered car with a Bangalore registered vehicle. I have all the papers, including local NOC and national NOC. If you know anybody who might be interested do write to me.

Last edited by man23ish : 7th February 2009 at 01:18. Reason: Added more details/ clarification !!!
man23ish is offline  
Old 7th February 2009, 09:13   #200
BHPian
 
techn0l0gist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ponda, Goa
Posts: 333
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish View Post

The Easiest, best and the cheapest way to avoid all RTO and other hassles is to find someone who is moving from Karnataka to Goa and swap your car with him. (Easier said than done, but i do believe in the power of networking !!) That way, both of you guys save money and it is perfectly legal. More like a win/win deal..
In Goa you can drive freely without any issues, although you are more likely to be checked for valid documents than GA registered vehicles(as long as you have the documents, not a problem!).

Also in goa you can pay tax every quarter or half-year as you choose (unlike this side of the planet ) and yes tax in goa is much less than karnataka!

Directorate of Transport
techn0l0gist is offline  
Old 7th February 2009, 15:22   #201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 615
Thanked: 11 Times
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by techn0l0gist View Post
In Goa you can drive freely without any issues, although you are more likely to be checked for valid documents than GA registered vehicles(as long as you have the documents, not a problem!).

Also in goa you can pay tax every quarter or half-year as you choose (unlike this side of the planet ) and yes tax in goa is much less than karnataka!

Directorate of Transport
I wish more states would approach such pragmatic approach. Afterall we are all living in one nation.. Along with the NIA, its probably high-time to have a centralized RTO body..
man23ish is offline  
Old 7th February 2009, 18:09   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,271
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Was finally stopped by a constable just outside the Shell bunk on OMR 30 minutes ago.

Asks for documents, I show him photocopies of the RC, LTT (TN) token.
He says where is the KA tax receipt? I tell him I entered KA on Sunday night.
He says I need a local police NOC (different from the RTO NOC) to prove that my vehicle is not wanted in TN. I tell him you have the number, you find out if it is wanted or not. And I am hearing this local police NOC funda for the first time.

He realizes this is going nowhere and asks if I would like to speak to the Inspector. Yes, indeed. Conversation all this while is in Kannada.

Walk upto the gentleman who speaks to me in Tamil and gives the same local police NOC funda. If one doesn't have it, you are liable to be fined. I tell him the same thing saying I have not heard this before. Mine is a private vehicle, why should I take permission from anybody to drive outside 'local jurisdiction'. He asks - when did you come here? I say Sunday night. Do I have proof? Yes. He then asks me to go.

Very innovative, I must say - local police NOC indeed.

Thats hilarious Hrishi, when they nabbed me that constable told me you have to pay tax with in 3 months entering Karnataka. I asked who has written that rule. Then I explained them all rules. He was really not happy with my knowledge.

Thing is that, most of the people fell in so called trap laid out by these pandus, sure no body would have local police NOC and he should ask them to pay some bucks and get away.
anujmishra is offline  
Old 7th February 2009, 18:21   #203
BHPian
 
Sowmya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Due to slowdown in economy this KA GOVT is trying hard to collect money from various resources... So they can do any thing they want.
MR. CM travelling in Helicoptor with 1.5 Cr of Bill with Tax money that we paying. And we paying all taxes running our car in Broken pathetic Road. So this are the Innovative money collection that are going around the KA Administration to raise GOVT fund.
Sowmya is offline  
Old 7th February 2009, 20:23   #204
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You made this up or is it required.

What does it imply carry a document from the local police that the car i own is owned by me and not anybody else? Am i contradicting myself here?

I thought the RC, Insurance are proof enough. The onus is on the Police to know.

In such a scenario every car will have to be checked everyday!!
Hold on! We are speaking about an outstation car being caught in Karnataka. In such cases, it is just normal that the inspector would be suspicious - that too given the fact that a huge racket was unearthed recently. Now, it is not expected that you roam around with an NOC - and it is not required either, but then I appreciate the creativity of the police guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
If i was smart enough to steal a car the last thing i would do is roam around with it. It would be stripped, and the parts would probably land somewhere as abstract as timbuktoo. Then it can be carried around and no one would even care. Or will the cops search for road tax among spares as well?!
Hello sir.. what if the police guy was flagging you down when you were moving to your "base" after flicking the car? Or you were moving around with the fake number plate? Not all cars are stolen for being broken down! There has been many instances when the cars were sold off to unsuspecting customers....

And, not all thieves are "smart". Every thief leaves a loophole in his crime, and this could very well be that loop hole.

Now that you all are too "smart" enough, you'll would have already guessed that there is no thing called as a "Local NOC". But, I would support the Inspector given the circumstances. All outstation vehicles are seen with a shade of suspicion. There is nothing new to that.
binaiks is offline  
Old 7th February 2009, 20:48   #205
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,478 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Hello sir.. what if the police guy was flagging you down when you were moving to your "base" after flicking the car? Or you were moving around with the fake number plate? Not all cars are stolen for being broken down! There has been many instances when the cars were sold off to unsuspecting customers....
While i do agree that theives are smart, can they be smart enough to even have the valid documents of the car they are about to steal?

And about the NOC which is what they are looking for, whats the guarantee that's going to be genuine?
benbsb29 is online now  
Old 7th February 2009, 20:48   #206
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,860
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
...Now that you all are too "smart" enough, you'll would have already guessed that there is no thing called as a "Local NOC". But, I would support the Inspector given the circumstances. All outstation vehicles are seen with a shade of suspicion. There is nothing new to that.
Wow, that is one hell of a statement!

Does it also apply to outstation people as well? Since, without them no outstation vehicle will be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
While i do agree that theives are smart, can they be smart enough to even have the valid documents of the car they are about to steal? ...
Ben,

Spot on! It does not take too much of thought to know why a police fellow, even after present with valid documents, asks for a 'Local Police NOC'! Any argument saying otherwise, well, nothing said the better.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 7th February 2009 at 20:53.
HappyWheels is offline  
Old 7th February 2009, 21:25   #207
BHPian
 
sudheeshnairs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trivandrum/Bangalore
Posts: 146
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Correct.

See, my surname, my documents will be a proof of the fact that I am a Keralite from Trivandrum (And the other language which I would be speaking other than english would be broken Hindi). So when my car bears a KL.01 number plate, what is the reason for suspicion that I am roaming with a stolen car?

BTW Anuj, I am still expecting an answer for the question which i asked you in my last post. One more opinion needed, would I be able to hold on without paying KA taxes if I manage to have all these continously?

1) A PUC certificate from Trivandrum. (What about having PUC from the neighbouring districts in Kerala /Andhra/TN? Say, what if I have PUC from Wayanad or Anantpur?

2) Fuel Bills from Trivandrum (within three months)

3) Toll receipt at Krishnagiri (within three months)


Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Wow, that is one hell of a statement!

Does it also apply to outstation people as well? Since, without them no outstation vehicle will be there!
sudheeshnairs is offline  
Old 7th February 2009, 21:35   #208
Senior - BHPian
 
binaiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KL-47 // KA-51
Posts: 1,726
Thanked: 823 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Does it also apply to outstation people as well? Since, without them no outstation vehicle will be there!
Well, I hope you don't roam around with a board hung on your neck saying you are an outsider. But your vehicle does. 3 out of 5 vehicles flagged down on our highways are outstation vehicles (unless there is some other patrolling like seatbelt or "drunken drive" or so). Cops get a perverted pleasure in flagging down such vehicles, and for some reason they see such vehicles as currency notes.
binaiks is offline  
Old 7th February 2009, 21:45   #209
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,478 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
Well, I hope you don't roam around with a board hung on your neck saying you are an outsider. But your vehicle does. 3 out of 5 vehicles flagged down on our highways are outstation vehicles (unless there is some other patrolling like seatbelt or "drunken drive" or so). Cops get a perverted pleasure in flagging down such vehicles, and for some reason they see such vehicles as currency notes.
So, going by your logic, if one were to steal a car, he should first change the plate to the local reg ones, so he can go by without being flagged down. Nice hint.

After all, out-of-state vehicles are the ones seen as currency notes.
benbsb29 is online now  
Old 7th February 2009, 21:52   #210
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default

Today I saw for the first time a RTO Jeep flagging down vehicles randomly in my neighbourhood. Few months back, say before September I would have been in significant trouble, I was still waiting for NOC, etc. So I drove the Jeep with total confidence almost daring them to stop. They looked at the Jeep, looked at me and then looked at the very very local number and kept looking until I passed. At first looking at the bling Jeep from far they must have had their hopes high, but then rest of it fell in place.
Samurai is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax on Tax? Road tax should be calculated on ex-factory price (not ex-showroom)! SILVERWOOD The Indian Car Scene 88 30th July 2017 12:39
NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban darklord The Indian Car Scene 284 25th March 2017 21:41
Diesel Cars: Down, down, down! Market share = 34% S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 66 2nd June 2016 16:21
Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement man_and_machine The Indian Car Scene 661 16th October 2012 23:14
High Court lifts double tax on imported cars nikapur The Indian Car Scene 7 14th February 2011 14:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks