Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th February 2009, 23:59   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
The operative word being "Continuous".

I was not aware that a court ruling existed on this matter. Thanks for the very informative update.

PS: Is there any print-out or something that we can carry which refers to this court ruling and the six continuous months thing?
There was a ruling from Madras High court.. IIRC 1995-96. Some of our lawyer members can help find this in the annual reviews of that year. (this was the time when when cops everywhere went into overdrive at the sight of a PY - Pondicherry -registered car)
Old 17th February 2009, 08:13   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
There was a ruling from Madras High court.. IIRC 1995-96. Some of our lawyer members can help find this in the annual reviews of that year. (this was the time when when cops everywhere went into overdrive at the sight of a PY - Pondicherry -registered car)
Thanks again kb100.

Any lawyers around who can throw some light on this??
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:00   #228
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Can someone please outline the procedure to pay KA road tax while retaining a TN registration? If such a provision exists?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Vehicles costing below 5 lakhs: 12% (13.2% after adding municipality tax)
Vehicles costing between 5-10 lakhs: 13% (14.3% after adding municipality tax)
Vehicles costing above 10 lakhs: 16% (17.6% after adding municipality tax)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Voluntary payment of tax should not entail penalty.

If the due amount of road tax is mentioned somewhere on a paper/ challan, you can go and pay in Bangalore One, they collect Road tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Ideally yes. But that did not work in my case. Since it was other state reg. vehicle 2 RTO offices denied to collect taxes.

Anyway, I never tried in BangaloreOne offices. Maybe Hrag may update us.
Went to the Indiranagar RTO this morning and inquired about and paid the Life Time Tax for the Safari.

Samurai - you're right about the 13% for vehicles costing 5-10 L but there is no municipality tax in Bangalore - its called Cess here.

dadu is right about voluntary payment of tax entailing no penalty, arrears etc.

mjothi - the Indiranagar RTO had no hesitation in accepting my tax - maybe it was the amount, wait for it!

Invoice value of my Safari EX 4x4 Jan 2007: 9,03,753.00
13% of invoice value: 1,17,488.00
Depreciated value of tax: 1,02,215.00
(87% of tax to be paid since vehicle is more than 2 years old but not more than 3 years old)
Cess at 10%: 10,222.00
Total tax payable: 1,12,437.00 only (Life Time Tax)

No arrears, no penalty. The agent (a very nice, polite, straightforward gentleman who came highly recommended) laughed at my TN RC looking at the Life Time Tax paid in TN in Jan 2007: 54,226.00 (6% of invoice value / ex-showroom price)

Documents required (all original):
Registration Certificate
Certificate of Insurance
Sales / Delivery Invoice with ex-showroom price mentioned

I also had a price list from Concorde Motors Chennai dated Jan 2007 but since I had the original Sales Invoice, the price list was not required.

The RTO does not accept cash for amounts greater than 3,000.00. One has to pay by Demand Draft for such cases.

All amounts in INR.
hrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2009, 19:44   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Samurai - you're right about the 13% for vehicles costing 5-10 L but there is no municipality tax in Bangalore - its called Cess here.
That's because Bangalore is not a municipality, but it is still 10% though.

Quote:
The agent (a very nice, polite, straightforward gentleman who came highly recommended) laughed at my TN RC looking at the Life Time Tax paid in TN in Jan 2007: 54,226.00 (6% of invoice value / ex-showroom price)
That is because TN roads are in very good condition. However, the Karnataka roads are in pathetic conditions and the our poor government needs loads of money to fix the roads. Last year they poured many crores of rupees on Shiradi ghats, now again they have to repeat the exercise. Money doesn't grow on tree you know, so they have to take it from the road users and repair the roads every year. I hope that explains the need for high road tax in Karnataka. Look at Delhi, they have fantastic roads, almost no road tax.

I have finally found a way to explain the logic behind Karnataka road tax.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:06   #230
BHPian

So when we Buy new car(in bangalore) will the OTR price include life time tax or we have to pay that some time later .
Could some one please elaborate what all things we shall have to pay for :
is the below invoice correct ?
PARTICULARS
CITY/S/MT

BASIC PRICE

K- VAT 12.5%

EX SHOWROOM PRICE

CORPORATE DISCOUNT

TOTAL EX- SHOWROOM

ROAD TAX + REGISTRATION

INSURANCE

TOTAL ON ROAD

CORPORATE DISCOUNT

ON ROAD
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:17   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have finally found a way to explain the logic behind Karnataka road tax.
Sharath, thats very logically explained.

After several days of inaction, i saw the cops out in full force along the ORR at 5 PM in the evening. A CH registered M800, A non-KA Octavia and some bikes were caught.

Looks like they have kicked into overdrive yet again.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:25   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Went to the Indiranagar RTO this morning and inquired about and paid the Life Time Tax for the Safari.
--------------
Total tax payable: 1,12,437.00 only (Life Time Tax)

All amounts in INR.
hrag, why did you pay the road tax? You shuttle between chennai and bangalore, wasn't that enough?
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:26   #233
BHPian

@hrag, so is the LTT which you paid in TN, down the drain?

Or are you required to pay the difference only?
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:31   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
@hrag, so is the LTT which you paid in TN, down the drain?

Or are you required to pay the difference only?
The Road tax can be claimed from the Chennai RTO after the depreciation. Few people have got their refund through an agent, I guess on our own would require numerous visits to the RTO & I am sure it is a waste of time and energy.

Before that he needs to pay full karnataka road tax & register his car in Bangalore. Also a NOC is required from the chennai RTO before registering the car here in Bangalore.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:43   #235
BANNED

The LTT that I paid in TN is still valid (in TN) - I have not changed registration nor have I recorded a change of address. I haven't applied for an NOC either.

Apparently, IF I get an address change endorsed, I can get a refund of KA tax (how much is anybody's guess) if I move back to Madras and get my old address recorded again.

If I were to get an NOC and change my registration to KA, then I would get a refund of TN LTT.

Karnataka is indeed a very liberal state in the receipt of money - I didn't even have to show proof of address in KA.

And, no I didn't get caught - there would have been a penalty and arrears otherwise.

Edit: Now I guess I'm a true TTC driver - tax paid in 2 states and I can ply peacefully

Edit 2: kb100 saar - I said I paid the road tax amount. Did I say I paid for it?

Last edited by hrag : 2nd April 2009 at 20:54.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:49   #236
Senior - BHPian

WOW - Rich man Hrag! Glad to know you!
Old 4th April 2009, 13:08   #237

I have a West Bengal registered Wagon-R and I've shifted base to Bangalore few months back. I brought my car using a movers and packers' service and I have the necessary documents to prove that the vehicle has been brought within the last 6 months. I've renewed my PUC in Jan 2009 here in Bangalore and my Insurance was renewed FROM West Bengal last month.

My question is - would these papers hold good in case I'm flagged down by the cops in Bangalore?

The reason I'm asking is because anybody can obtain a fake bill from a Movers company by paying just the 12.5% VAT and a few hundred more on the actual cost of moving a vehicle across states!!
e.g. cost of moving vehicle from kolkata to bangalore = Rs. 10K (approx).
VAT = Rs. 1205
Actual cost of obtaining a fake bill = Rs. 1400 (approx).

Also, any pointers on the approx amount I need to pay as road tax here in Bangalore? Its a 2007 Wagon-R.
Old 4th April 2009, 15:34   #238
BANNED

Depends on invoice value of your car (when bought new). Also check date of registration of your car. On the date of paying LTT in KA, if the car is less than 2 years old (but greater than 1 year), depreciation is 93% of tax on invoice value. If greater than 2 but less than 3, it is 87% of tax on invoice value.
Old 15th May 2009, 12:41   #239
BANNED

An RTO squad was out in full force this morning on the road leading to Bagmane Tech Park, C V Raman Nagar (road leading to GTRE, LRDE and DRDO Township). They stopped each and every non-KA registered vehicle as well as KA vehicles with broken numberplates.

Me? I got complete respect

Last edited by hrag : 15th May 2009 at 12:44.
Old 15th May 2009, 14:00   #240
BHPian

Quote:
An RTO squad was out in full force this morning on the road leading to Bagmane Tech Park, C V Raman Nagar (road leading to GTRE, LRDE and DRDO Township).
What time was it ? after 10 ? I will be surprised if they come out for checking before 10...
Closed Thread