Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 12:03   #16
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,478 Times
Default

I had to go through a similar ordeal with my AP registered bike in KA. Paid the road tax, but am still retaning the AP registration. Once you show them the receipt for road tax paid, they dont bother you any further.
benbsb29 is online now  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:04   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Shillong
Posts: 925
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

I am sure I will draw flak for mentioning it on this thread, but in Meghalaya, for private vehicles, a lifetime road tax (10 years) is Rs. 8000/-, irrespective of the cost of the vehicle. For 2 wheelers, it is 1750/-. An additional fee of Rs. 2000/- (4 wheelers) or 800/- (2 wheelers) is charged for the provision of High Security Number Plates, which is mandatory.
SumitB is online now  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:08   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
yes. It just needs a challan saying you are booked for driving other state vehicle in KA without tax

For my 2 wheeler I just did this...

I went to Indira Nagar RTO, met the inspector there and told him I want to pay tax. He gave me the challan, I show this and paid the amout in the counter over there. Its done.

When I approached the same counter for paying tax, he just said he cannot accept any tax without NOC. So, the same guy after seeing this challan gave a smile and that one smile made me understand that this is normal procedure.
few things to note:

When you are challaned, you have to pay road tax with penalty.

Voluntary payment of tax should not entail penalty.

If the due amount of road tax is mentioned somewhere on a paper/ challan, you can go and pay in Bangalore One, they collect Road tax.
dadu is offline  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:15   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
getsurya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 944 Times
Default

Friends,

I have had two experiences in this regard. My M800 10 years back with AP registration was caught and I ended paying around Rs11000 as KA road tax. Then my KA registered Ikon was caught in AP, I paid Rs45000 as life time road tax. So net, I have lost Rs.55000 of my tax paid money to stupid KA & AP governments!! These monies to reclaim would take another ordeal.
Now I drive AP registered Scorpios in KA and once out of atleast 10 visits to BLR I was caught. I just rolled down my window and asked him what happened? The RTO officer said AP registered Car, pay KA tax. I told him I have paid for two cars already and asked him to fine me for not paying for this one. I also prodded him that my lawyer would meet the RTO to pay the fines!! He then said ok.ok. and left me!!

In earlier cases I was trying to abide the law which I realised later that does not help!

I am not saying that this is the right approach, however I feel RTA uses this to make monies in a big way. I can understand the case for commercial vehicles, but not for private used ones.

Last edited by getsurya : 11th December 2008 at 12:17.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2008, 12:17   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
few things to note:

When you are challaned, you have to pay road tax with penalty.

Voluntary payment of tax should not entail penalty.

If the due amount of road tax is mentioned somewhere on a paper/ challan, you can go and pay in Bangalore One, they collect Road tax.
Ideally yes. But that did not work in my case. Since it was other state reg. vehicle 2 RTO offices denied to collect taxes.

Anyway, I never tried in BangaloreOne offices. Maybe Hrag may update us.


Quote:
In earlier cases I was trying to abide the law which I realised later that does not help!
Agreed. Sometimes its forced on us to follow :(

Last edited by mjothi : 11th December 2008 at 12:18.
mjothi is offline  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:17   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
sammyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Gurgaon/Doon
Posts: 1,738
Thanked: 338 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
few things to note:

When you are challaned, you have to pay road tax with penalty.

Voluntary payment of tax should not entail penalty.

If the due amount of road tax is mentioned somewhere on a paper/ challan, you can go and pay in Bangalore One, they collect Road tax.
Hi Dadu, whats this Bangalore One ?
Mjothi: Where exactly did u go in INdiranagar? I have been going around in circles for this for over 2 years . Now that the car is 3.5 yrs old, I guess paying the tax wont be such a bad idea. I am sure there will be some depriciation. Can any one enlighten on this?
sammyboy is offline  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:19   #22
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 600
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
It depends on the guy who catch you
You should always have proof if you say you came in few days back. Usually petrol bills from the origin state is accepted.
sj_koova is offline  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:24   #23
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,478 Times
Default

Samarth, there is a BangaloreOne on the old Airport road.
If you are looking for the indranagar RTO, its parallel to CMH road.

Note : When you reach the Indranagar RTO, DO NOT fall for the touts who will literally swarm upon you. I lost quite some money in this trap, and had to literally get a friend to threaten the big guy there into either getting my work done, else return my money. I think Riju (rjstyles) has a friend in Philip Driving school located in the same complex, who could help out. Unfortunately, i got to know about this, as well as BangaloreOne rather late.

EDIT :
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post
You should always have proof if you say you came in few days back. Usually petrol bills from the origin state is accepted.
Origin state is not necessary. You could show the bill from another state too. My relative with an AP registered Alto showed a bill from Kerala while he was stopped. Said he was only passing through.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 11th December 2008 at 12:26.
benbsb29 is online now  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:29   #24
BHPian
 
subbarao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 237
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
Dear All TEAM-BHPns


By chance if you are caught tell them u came here few days back and you will be going back very soon.

Regards
Binoy
Hi,

They will not accept this cock & bull stories, once you stopped by the RTO/Traffic police they will note down the registration no. Karantaka RTO & Bangalore city traffic are making data base on vehicle no's of other states, within few months they will have online facility to check the date on which your vehicle no. entered on database accordingly they will fine on the spot or vehicle may seized.
subbarao is offline  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:34   #25
BHPian
 
sj_koova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 600
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Origin state is not necessary. You could show the bill from another state too. My relative with an AP registered Alto showed a bill from Kerala while he was stopped. Said he was only passing through.
Thats right. As long as it is logical , they would agree.
I know some of the Kerala registration people here arrange the Kerala petrol bill through someone traveling and keep it ready with them.

Just make sure the bills you collect this way has a blank place to write your car's reg NO.
sj_koova is offline  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:38   #26
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Why can't the respective state governments get the money from each other? I will gladly volunteer information on the dates I was present in different states. The RTOs can then fight it out.

I always have toll plaza receipts (genuine) to prove I entered KA only recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarao View Post
Hi,

They will not accept this cock & bull stories, once you stopped by the RTO/Traffic police they will note down the registration no. Karantaka RTO & Bangalore city traffic are making data base on vehicle no's of other states, within few months they will have online facility to check the date on which your vehicle no. entered on database accordingly they will fine on the spot or vehicle may seized.
Didn't quite get this. Let's say I was stopped this morning and my number was entered. Over the weekend, if I make a trip to Tamilnadu, I have a fresh date of entry - who records this and where?

Last edited by hrag : 11th December 2008 at 12:42.
hrag is offline  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:44   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,022
Thanked: 3,478 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Why can't the respective state governments get the money from each other?
To put it in a different way, "Why cant we be just one country, instead of multiple states, each trying to put down the other, and also make more money in the process?".

Just a small example from another country where i have lived, which is the UAE. A Dubai registered owner doesnt face fines for running his vehicle in another emirate, example Sharjah. Why not the same principle here? Why not have a unified road road tax structure across the country?
benbsb29 is online now  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:47   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: thiruvananthapuram
Posts: 774
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

We are paying road tax in a state for 10/15/20 years , and we end up paying tax in another state for the same vehicle . We have to approach courts in this nation to finish this menace once and for all . As a forum of vehicle owners and enthusiasts we have the right and resources to do so . Nothing is being done by bodies like AAI .

But in kerala i havent heard such a thing happening even after pondi regd vehicle running for 5-7 years. Only problem you could face is that you wont be allowed to take a driving test using it.

Last edited by swathyd : 11th December 2008 at 12:51.
swathyd is offline  
Old 11th December 2008, 12:51   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hi Dadu, whats this Bangalore One ?
Mjothi: Where exactly did u go in INdiranagar? I have been going around in circles for this for over 2 years . Now that the car is 3.5 yrs old, I guess paying the tax wont be such a bad idea. I am sure there will be some depriciation. Can any one enlighten on this?
Its an integrated payment collection/ services kiosk for many services

Bangalore One RTO services

Bangalore One centres
dadu is offline  
Old 11th December 2008, 13:01   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kolkata
Posts: 927
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
To put it in a different way, "Why cant we be just one country, instead of multiple states, each trying to put down the other, and also make more money in the process?".

Just a small example from another country where i have lived, which is the UAE. A Dubai registered owner doesnt face fines for running his vehicle in another emirate, example Sharjah. Why not the same principle here? Why not have a unified road road tax structure across the country?
I share the same thoughts as benbsb29, why should we be made to pay tax for different states, this would make inter state travel a nightmare, the government should treat cars registered in any state as registered in the country and if the papers are fine why bother people and make them pay tax again, I think we should have a all India tax and not state specific tax.
musicmanaman is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax on Tax? Road tax should be calculated on ex-factory price (not ex-showroom)! SILVERWOOD The Indian Car Scene 88 30th July 2017 12:39
NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban darklord The Indian Car Scene 284 25th March 2017 21:41
Diesel Cars: Down, down, down! Market share = 34% S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 66 2nd June 2016 16:21
Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement man_and_machine The Indian Car Scene 661 16th October 2012 23:14
High Court lifts double tax on imported cars nikapur The Indian Car Scene 7 14th February 2011 14:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks