Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 1st September 2009, 15:32   #286
Senior - BHPian

What if I go one day/week out of state every 11 months and comeback again in Karnataka? In that case I would not be staying 12 months in succession in Karnataka. In this way I can avoid paying road tax provided i keep toll receipt etc also this judgement copy. Just my thought. Please shed light on this.

I am also driving my out of Karnataka registered 800 since 2005 december. Till now no body catched me. Only once they caught and I stopped my car in middle of road and traffic was jammed for few mins near SilkBoard Junction. Then he let me go "FREE OF COST"
Old 1st September 2009, 15:40   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
I.... warned him that he would be in contempt of court if he did not let me go. He immediately backed off and told me i could go. ....
Good one Manish, "contempt of court" is going to drive anyone nuts in particular if he is a govt employee, You rightly said, its all about how we convince the cops in this issue.

To be honest, i am not good at it and hence never take my TN bike inside Bangalore and just ride it only in e-city.
Old 1st September 2009, 15:49   #288
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Ok, well, I may sound dumb, but does this mean that I can buy a vehicle anywhere in India and drive/use it in Karnataka without paying the horrendous, exorbitant and completely unjustifiable DEMON called "Road Tax".
Ok i agree with the dumb part Just kidding no offense.

No it does not mean that. If you are shifting permanently to Karanataka you should pay the road tax. But if you are going to be here for less then a year and can prove that it is so. You can happily drive around in an out of state registered vehicle. Look in the same thread how to accomplish such tasks. Hint: PUC, toll receipts and fuel bills, add to it Insurance taken in another state office of the Insurance company.
Old 1st September 2009, 16:39   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
What if I go one day/week out of state every 11 months and comeback again in Karnataka? In that case I would not be staying 12 months in succession in Karnataka. In this way I can avoid paying road tax provided i keep toll receipt etc also this judgement copy. Just my thought. Please shed light on this.
well, theoretically this might work (especially if ur vehicle is registered in any of neighbouring states of. KA
But, if ur vehicle is from, say,Delhi, I don't think your reasoning that you came to KA just last week by showing some toll reciepts will work, unless you can get some proof from your home state of registration.
Old 1st September 2009, 22:19   #290
Senior - BHPian

Incident 1:
Mid May 09'
E.City Entrance
Me, wife, TN Car

Around 8'ish in evening i drive towards EC from Hosur, get pulled over by a STERN Traffic Cop.

Me : Tell me saar
Him : (waves hands, and fingers, mumbles something i cant understand)
Me : (Turning to wife, Say we are from Hosur, driving to a team dinner)
Him : Saar, Dazzling Lights
Me : No ways (check the dash) Oops - sorry sir, wrist must have pushed the light stalk down my mistake
Him : 100Rs
Me : Gives, gets a ticket, i am Off

NO Mention of Why TN, SL, USA, etc etc...

Incident 2:
last wkend
E.City Entrance
Me alone, TN Car

Same 7ish in evening... AFTER above incident I NEVER switch on High beam and keep checking the light Stalk every minute paranoidally!!!

Different Cop pulls me over.

ME : Now What!!!!
Him : Dazzling Lights
Me : What the!! Are you blind
Him : Only 2 bulbs legally allowed to be on at a time. You had Bumper Fog lamps on too..
Me : Now you tell me (Dont want to brag to him over a 100Rs ticket)
Him : thanks again (wicked grin)
Me : Drove off (head banging, since I know it was not necessary, but If I fight for this 100Rs, I know what point will comeup next)
Old 1st September 2009, 23:19   #291
BANNED

The traffic police in Bangalore no longer care whether you are driving a TN vehicle or an NL vehicle, esp. after Mr. Sood's interview. Can't say the same about the RTO though.
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:26   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
...Him : Only 2 bulbs legally allowed to be on at a time. You had Bumper Fog lamps on too......
Am i reading it right? "only 2 bulbs legally allowed", is this true, what if i drive a car (Bangalore registered) with HL (low beam) and Fog lamps on, can i fight against this? Kindly throw some light on this.
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:31   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The traffic police in Bangalore no longer care whether you are driving a TN vehicle or an NL vehicle, esp. after Mr. Sood's interview. Can't say the same about the RTO though.
Yes Hrishi Sir, am just lucky till now. I dont want to risk my recently acquired TN Jeep with this regard. I will pay some LTT since it is a 20 year Jeep and the LTT will be really low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
Am i reading it right? "only 2 bulbs legally allowed", is this true, what if i drive a car (Bangalore registered) with HL (low beam) and Fog lamps on, can i fight against this? Kindly throw some light on this.
Balaji, they may be wrong, but when the point is over a 'note' i did not want to question their point.
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:49   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
....Balaji, they may be wrong, but when the point is over a 'note' i did not want to question their point.
Thanks Santosh, i understood the intent behind your post, it is just that for my general awareness, i would like to know if such a rule exists.
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:58   #295
Senior - BHPian

dint expect myself posting in this thread!! all my cars are KA reg exept one KL reg innova now im going to use the innova for some time in bangy lets see how many Dazzling light violations ill make . well im not going to pay up unless i have no other go.(im pretty fluent in kannada)
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:04   #296
BHPian

Default Bangalore RTOs re-started catching non-KA Vehicles

Looks like Bangalore RTOs started catching other state vehicle for paying road tax. Might be in need of meeting the target before March 31st.

My friend got caught yesterday by an RTO squad. He came here in Jan'10 and the authorities has different versions of law.
One fellow at RTO office told him, he has to pay the KA road tax within a month, another official told to pay within 7 days, and while another person saying pay tax immediatly after entering KA. The vehicle in question is a Private owned Santro, 2005 model and the tax asked to pay is Rs.35000.

My friend is going to approach the Court based on an earlier judgement which says the liability of paying tax is only after 12 months. Attaching the judgement copy for every one's reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf judgement.pdf (767.8 KB, 728 views)
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:15   #297
BHPian

^^ This is worst part, not even the cops know the exact rules and make up their own versions of it. I have had so many issues with my TN registered bike when I had initially moved to Bangalore. But in the past 10-12 months no such issues of having a TN registered bike.

I'm getting in a MH registered car mid of this month down to Bangalore. Wondering what will happen!! :|

Although it doesn't make any sense to have this differential taxation levied across different states, but isn't there a legal way to run a outside state vehicle? Why should I pay Lifetime tax, if I intend on staying in the state only for about 1-2 years!

Isn't there a system wherein I can pay tax on a yearly basis?

Last edited by praful : 2nd March 2010 at 11:16.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:43   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
^^ This is worst part, not even the cops know the exact rules and make up their own versions of it. I have had so many issues with my TN registered bike when I had initially moved to Bangalore. But in the past 10-12 months no such issues of having a TN registered bike.

I'm getting in a MH registered car mid of this month down to Bangalore. Wondering what will happen!! :|

Although it doesn't make any sense to have this differential taxation levied across different states, but isn't there a legal way to run a outside state vehicle? Why should I pay Lifetime tax, if I intend on staying in the state only for about 1-2 years!

Isn't there a system wherein I can pay tax on a yearly basis?
Only Central Government employees with transferable jobs are allowed to pay yearly road tax.

In case you have paid life time tax in one state, but have to relocate to some other state, there is a provision for getting a refund of the road tax from that state's RTO.

I know these rules don't make any sense. Ideally, any Indian from any state should be free to drive his vehicle in any other state. But its not a perfect world we live in.

There is no other legal way to run one state's vehicle in another state without paying the road tax.

Rohan
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:46   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Only Central Government employees with transferable jobs are allowed to pay yearly road tax.

In case you have paid life time tax in one state, but have to relocate to some other state, there is a provision for getting a refund of the road tax from that state's RTO.

I know these rules don't make any sense. Ideally, any Indian from any state should be free to drive his vehicle in any other state. But its not a perfect world we live in.

There is no other legal way to run one state's vehicle in another state without paying the road tax.

Rohan
But like I said before I don't want to settle permanently or re-register the car in one state. In that scenario why should one pay LTT? I know I could get a refund (which is another head banging process) but then what would I do once I get back to the state in which the vehicle is registered?

Ok another quick koshun, I did not know about the Central Govt. Employee rule. Now the vehicle is registered in my name, but my father is Central Govt' Employee with a transferable job, can that be somehow used to my advantage?
Old 2nd March 2010, 12:13   #300
BHPian

OffTopic, but the right thread.
Anyone here own a '03 Karizma? I lost my original invoice and would be glad if You could help me out with a copy of Yours. I am trying to pay the taxes in Bangalore and the RTO inspector is hell-bent on seeing the original 03 invoice! (Good in a way)
Closed Thread