Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 19:53   #421
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Sorry, typo there. I meant state, not city.

But the fact remains that most of us are staying in Bangalore city, which being the capital of the state, gets the best share of budget for infrastructure development.

Yes you are right that the road tax is not directly used for making roads. All taxes collected by the government are pooled and then this fund is used for areas that need attention, including roads.

The point I was trying to make is that it is better to pay the tax to the government rather than paying bribe to the policeman.

Rohan
But why Karnataka has the highest road tax in India? Don't see same being utilized for building good roads. And to my previous point I spoke with an RTO official today in E-city, and you can use tNH toll slips for non-KA vehicle, to drive in KA for 6 months.
asdon is offline  
Old 18th June 2010, 23:18   #422
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I spoke with an RTO official today in E-city, and you can use tNH toll slips for non-KA vehicle, to drive in KA for 6 months.
That is precisely what I do - Have a HR registered car in Bangalore (for the last 5 years). I just plan a long road trip with friends every 3-4 months so that I can have toll receipts handy - always carry a couple of the most recent ones in my wallet.
CrackedHead is offline  
Old 18th June 2010, 23:52   #423
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: KA 03, KL 7, MH 04
Posts: 43
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

The interpretation of the "rule " is supposed to be this. When you drive an outside state registered vehicle in any other state, one is supposed to pay the road tax of the state in which the car is currently being driven within 3 months. Once the road tax is paid, police wont hassle you. However, you DO have to apply for local licence plates separately thereafter. Unless you have an NOC from the registering state, you wont get a local licence tag.

Case in point. A relative of mine who is a Brigadier in the Army posted in Delhi, puchased a Maruti 800 brand new there. Retired, came to Bangalore in 2000. Paid Karnataka road tax. Applied for the NOC from RTO Delhi, still not arrived after 10 years and he still drives the car with the Delhi registration. So, technically, everything is possible.

Getting the refund from the original state of registration is your prerogative, depends on how much money that state has in their kitty and how well connected you are to chase this money and get it released. Greasing palms will cost you ten percent at least. So most folks let it go.

For instance, you will almost never be able to get this refund from Kerala State, their coffers are empty

Last edited by DJANGO : 18th June 2010 at 23:56. Reason: typo
DJANGO is offline  
Old 18th June 2010, 23:56   #424
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

My dad drops me to school every morning in his TN 05 (Chennai) registered M800.
We have been using the car for the past 3-4 years in Karnataka. My dad is a senior central govt. employee, who is exempted from Road tax when he buys a new car.
Is there any problem we may face, thanks to the TN-reg plates?
Arkin evoisrevo is offline  
Old 19th June 2010, 00:00   #425
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJANGO View Post
The interpretation of the "rule " is supposed to be this. When you drive an outside state registered vehicle in any other state, one is supposed to pay the road tax of the state in which the car is currently being driven within 3 months. Once the road tax is paid, police wont hassle you. However, you DO have to apply for local licence plates separately thereafter. Unless you have an NOC from the registering state, you wont get a local licence tag.
This information about 3 month is not correct. As per the FAQ in RTO Karnataka website -
2. What is the procedure for re-registration?
The vehicles migrating from other States are required to obtain re-registration mark of Karnataka State within 12 months from the date of arrival into Karnataka State.

The vehicle owner shall produce the following :


1. No Objection Certificate (NOC) in form CMV 28 or postal acknowledgement for having sent application for issue of no objection certificate to the concerned registering authority.

2. Application form CMV 27.

3. Registration certificate (RC Book)

4. Tax Card.

5. Insurance certificate.

6. Consent of the Financier.

7. Pollution Under Control Certificate.

8. Prescribed fees and difference of tax if any.

All the related applications shall be filed before the Registering Authority and Vehicle shall be produced for inspection in the premises of the R.T.O. in case it is not inspected earlier.

Here is the link - Transport Department
asdon is offline  
Old 19th June 2010, 08:05   #426
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
My dad drops me to school every morning in his TN 05 (Chennai) registered M800.
We have been using the car for the past 3-4 years in Karnataka. My dad is a senior central govt. employee, who is exempted from Road tax when he buys a new car.
Is there any problem we may face, thanks to the TN-reg plates?
Your dad is not exempt from paying road tax on the car for the first time, but if he moves to another state by virtue of his job transfer, he will not have to shell out the road tax amount in the 2nd state and will get the registration directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
This information about 3 month is not correct. As per the FAQ in RTO Karnataka website -
2. What is the procedure for re-registration?
The vehicles migrating from other States are required to obtain re-registration mark of Karnataka State within 12 months from the date of arrival into Karnataka State.

The vehicle owner shall produce the following :


1. No Objection Certificate (NOC) in form CMV 28 or postal acknowledgement for having sent application for issue of no objection certificate to the concerned registering authority.

2. Application form CMV 27.

3. Registration certificate (RC Book)

4. Tax Card.

5. Insurance certificate.

6. Consent of the Financier.

7. Pollution Under Control Certificate.

8. Prescribed fees and difference of tax if any.

All the related applications shall be filed before the Registering Authority and Vehicle shall be produced for inspection in the premises of the R.T.O. in case it is not inspected earlier.

Here is the link - Transport Department
What you said is technically right. But the biggest grey area / Loophole is the payment of road tax in the new state which is not covered by CMVR. Since the particular sub section is open to interpretation, RTO guys use that to scare people. But if you start talking legal terms then they generally back off!
I have been using these techniques for the last 5 years in Chennai and Hyderabad without change of my DL registered car.
MileCruncher is offline  
Old 19th June 2010, 20:33   #427
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
What you said is technically right. But the biggest grey area / Loophole is the payment of road tax in the new state which is not covered by CMVR. Since the particular sub section is open to interpretation, RTO guys use that to scare people. But if you start talking legal terms then they generally back off!
I have been using these techniques for the last 5 years in Chennai and Hyderabad without change of my DL registered car.
Thats what we don't do in regular days, talking by rules I went to Kolkata with my KA reg car and was there for 2 weeks, police did stop me but when I showed them NH toll slips they didn't ask anything more.
asdon is offline  
Old 19th June 2010, 22:40   #428
BHPian
 
Arkin evoisrevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: KA03; AP02
Posts: 680
Thanked: 108 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Your dad is not exempt from paying road tax on the car for the first time, but if he moves to another state by virtue of his job transfer, he will not have to shell out the road tax amount in the 2nd state and will get the registration directly.

Can you please explain the 1st phrase? I don't really understand it.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline  
Old 21st June 2010, 09:46   #429
BHPian
 
AirWind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 809
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Is it possible to re-register a TN registered '90's make NA diesel car in Karnataka? If yes, what costs are involved?
AirWind is offline  
Old 21st June 2010, 09:57   #430
BHPian
 
AlokSriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fremont
Posts: 482
Thanked: 55 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Can you please explain the 1st phrase? I don't really understand it.
Quote:
Your dad is not exempt from paying road tax on the car for the first time
If your dad buys a new car, he will have to shell out the road tax like any other buyer. However, if his transfer takes him to a different state, he, by virtue of being a central government employee, would be exempt from the issue being discussed under this thread.
AlokSriva is offline  
Old 21st June 2010, 10:34   #431
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
My dad is a senior central govt. employee, who is exempted from Road tax when he buys a new car.
Wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Your dad is not exempt from paying road tax on the car for the first time, but if he moves to another state by virtue of his job transfer, he will not have to shell out the road tax amount in the 2nd state and will get the registration directly.
Wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
If your dad buys a new car, he will have to shell out the road tax like any other buyer. However, if his transfer takes him to a different state, he, by virtue of being a central government employee, would be exempt from the issue being discussed under this thread.
Wrong.

Nobody is exempt from paying road tax.

But there is a special provision for Central Govt employees whose job is transferable from one state to another. For such employees, RTO gives the option of paying the road tax on an annual basis, instead of life time (15 years) tax as paid by others.

Hence, when such a Central Govt employee gets transferred to another state, he/she doesn't have to bother about collecting refund of life time road tax from previous state (because he has paid only annual road tax). He/she again has the option to pay annual road tax in the second state instead of paying the life time tax.

Hope that clears it.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline  
Old 21st June 2010, 10:51   #432
Senior - BHPian
 
sbraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: B L R / T V M
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
But there is a special provision for Central Govt employees whose job is transferable from one state to another. For such employees, RTO gives the option of paying the road tax on an annual basis, instead of life time (15 years) tax as paid by others.
Thanks for this info, Rohan. Can you share the (KA RTO?) link on this?

It now makes a lot of sense to register my next car in Kerala under my wife's name (she is a Central Govt employee).
sbraj is offline  
Old 21st June 2010, 15:10   #433
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Wrong.

Nobody is exempt from paying road tax.

But there is a special provision for Central Govt employees whose job is transferable from one state to another. For such employees, RTO gives the option of paying the road tax on an annual basis, instead of life time (15 years) tax as paid by others.

Hence, when such a Central Govt employee gets transferred to another state, he/she doesn't have to bother about collecting refund of life time road tax from previous state (because he has paid only annual road tax). He/she again has the option to pay annual road tax in the second state instead of paying the life time tax.

Hope that clears it.

Rohan
Rohan is right.

Also since road tax is a state subject, rules might vary and some might exempt it, like for personal cars of Army personnel. One needs to check it statewise.
dadu is offline  
Old 21st June 2010, 16:22   #434
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Thanks for this info, Rohan. Can you share the (KA RTO?) link on this?

It now makes a lot of sense to register my next car in Kerala under my wife's name (she is a Central Govt employee).
Road tax differs from state to state. As far as I Know AP does not allow annual tax to any one.

where as Karnataka allows it for central govt, defense employees, if they produce a letter (on official letter head of the organization/dept) stating that concerned person's job is transferable all over India.Every year similar letter has to be produced while paying annual tax

I do not know about Kerala state
rkg is offline  
Old 21st June 2010, 16:28   #435
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default

I found a better way to not to pay sky high tax to Karnataka Govt.
I will buy my next car from Pondicherry and will keep Krishnagiri and Attibele toll slips in my car, if cops are interested.I saw for most of the sub-10L cars road tax in Pondicherry is 8000/- flat.
asdon is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax on Tax? Road tax should be calculated on ex-factory price (not ex-showroom)! SILVERWOOD The Indian Car Scene 88 30th July 2017 12:39
NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban darklord The Indian Car Scene 284 25th March 2017 21:41
Diesel Cars: Down, down, down! Market share = 34% S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 66 2nd June 2016 16:21
Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement man_and_machine The Indian Car Scene 661 16th October 2012 23:14
High Court lifts double tax on imported cars nikapur The Indian Car Scene 7 14th February 2011 14:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks