Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th November 2010, 12:00   #451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
@Noopster - Why you will not get the refund from MH? its your right, have you checked with RTO?
In all fairness, I did not check directly with MH-06 RTO. It's not even in Mumbai (It's Pen in Raigad district, near Panvel- I was living briefly in Navi Mumbai before moving to B'lore). And I had moved permanently and had a new job to focus on. You know, the usual excuses .

The RTO guy I used at the time was actually my bank's DSA- he had got me my NOC for the state transfer pretty effortlessly. So when he put up his hands, I chose not to pursue it.
In fact, funny you mention it: am in Mysore this week and just last night was advising a dinner companion not to pursue his own (MH-12) refund since it won't come through. But thankfully he isn't as cynical as I was and is determined to at least try!
Old 30th November 2010, 02:14   #452

In Karnataka, all Central Government employees and Defense Personnel have the option of paying annual Road tax.

I've been checking on this for the past week as a friend is planning to buy a car and is trying to work out all the ways to keep the cost lower.

Also, although the Road tax is 13% for LMV's below 5lakh, you get charged an additional 1.3%. This is not illegal. You are paying an additional 10% cess on the 13% road tax.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:00   #453
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@ Chetan: I moved to Bangalore in July 2002 with my MH registered Accent. Within a month I got "caught" in a swoop raid in my company's parking lot.
Why didnt you show him proof that you were here only a month back? Toll receipts, fuel bills etc.

He could have done jack about it.

This Karnataka Government waste is a corrupted lot of people. Even a chaprasi(peon) in a do khovdi (2 shells) ka office thinks he is the local don. And if he is a localite and you are not then his attitude and arrogance will increase 100 fold. Even though he will not be having an iota of any education or knowledge.

Deal with these guys firmly. I drove down in my dad's Honda City - Goa registered and was stopped by one of the random civilian cops (not traffic, not rto) at 2 in the night. I showed him the toll receipts. He undersood I am no easy bakra. The lowlife asked for rs 10 as chai pani. I threw it on the road infront of him. He bend down to pick it up and smile. This is their worth.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:41   #454
Senior - BHPian

So does all this mean that if I drive through Karnataka as a tourist, I will have to cough up road/registration tax for my Safari..?
Old 30th November 2010, 18:42   #455
BHPian

Someone told me that toll receipts are valid for 6 months. Is this true? The reason I ask is because, for a TN car, I could show the Hosur toll receipt. But it does show the date right? So will the RTO not get suspicious of this?
Old 30th November 2010, 18:50   #456
Senior - BHPian

I drove a TN regd. Ikon in Bangalore for 5 years

I was never bothered by the RTO. I stayed near Koramangala Sony World & my office was in EC.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:01   #457
BHPian

Both my bike and car are TN registered and haven't payed the KA road tax yet. I keep driving to my native in TN at least once in a month and get the toll receipts and fuel bills preserved in dash for safer side. I believe i can get a chance by showing those receipts and tell them I will go back or just reached and applied for re registration kind of stories. But still once i thought of paying the KA road tax and enquired about it, I got a mild heart attack on hearing the tax I had to pay. I was stopped by traffic police around 5 times in my 6 years of career in Bangalore and mostly I pay 100 and escape. I paid 20 once in 2008 telling them that I lost my job due to recession and don't have money for food even,They also accepted it.
But I remember my friends telling that the other state vehicles are allowed to drive in KA for some time limit with some proofs, can someone throw light on what kind of proofs?, or is it true ?
Old 30th November 2010, 20:22   #458
Team-BHP Support

Regarding showing toll receipts etc, when I got "caught" I was driving with my brand new company ID around my neck and pulling into my company's parking lot LOL. I didn't deny that I was liable to pay RTT, just requested some time from them which they refused. Which is what pissed me off.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:49   #459
BHPian

Its one of the many reasons that i have a 2nd thought on staying here. Else, blr is a lovely place to live, nice people & nice weather.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:53   #460
Team-BHP Support

Umm that's silly. High road tax shouldn't really be a factor. I lived in Bangalore for nearly 8 years and the reasons for moving out BELIEVE ME had nothig to do with that!
Pollution. Maddening Traffic. Increasingly xenophobic local populace. Absolute lack of governance. There are enough good reasons.
Old 30th November 2010, 23:20   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

@noopster:

Please read up on the motor vehicles act. What they did to you is illegal. You have months to transfer your car. It doesn't have to be as soon as you step into bangalore.

Basically, it boils down to how much you push back on these guys. They look for soft underbellies.
Old 1st December 2010, 00:17   #462
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@noopster:

Please read up on the motor vehicles act. What they did to you is illegal. You have months to transfer your car. It doesn't have to be as soon as you step into bangalore.

Basically, it boils down to how much you push back on these guys. They look for soft underbellies.
That's what I always suspected. I was protesting throughout that I had only just moved and there was a 6 month grace period within which I could transfer the registration. But what do you do when this thug looking RTO dude is sitting on your new car calmly threatening to drag it into impound?
Anyway it was a long time ago. The wounds have healed.
Old 1st December 2010, 09:00   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Umm that's silly. High road tax shouldn't really be a factor. I lived in Bangalore for nearly 8 years and the reasons for moving out BELIEVE ME had nothig to do with that!
Pollution. Maddening Traffic. Increasingly xenophobic local populace. Absolute lack of governance. There are enough good reasons.
I am ok to pay the tax but will i get a refund when i go back ? Hell no. The refund process is so complicated and you end up leaving your hard earned money behind & move on. Search here and you would know.

Btw, you moved out too. Were you lucky ?

That RTO incident with you was scary & relieved to hear it happened few years ago.
Old 1st December 2010, 09:33   #464
Senior - BHPian

According to me Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh RTO are most bothered about Road Tax things. Rest all state RTO mostly do not bother about it. They know mostly IT professionals are soft targets and they can cough up money from them.

It is common perception at least in Karnataka that IT Professionals earns loads of money or in other words infinite.
Old 1st December 2010, 10:17   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manarcane View Post
In Karnataka, all Central Government employees and Defense Personnel have the option of paying annual Road tax.
Can you please share the link on these?
Closed Thread