Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 10th January 2011, 12:37   #481
BHPian

Default re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Dear Friends,
I am a resident of Bangalore from 1993.My Job was shifted to coimbatore in 2006 and In 2007 July i sold my Karnataka regd bolero to my friend in coimbatore and brought a new scorpio DX from Coimbatore reg num - TN37AV 1035.

When i got a new job at Bangalore in Sept 2007 i moved back with family.My office was in Bidadi and house was in yehlanka , which is around 100kms.On sept 20th, I was stopped between Kengeri by RTO , morning 7am and doccuments where verfied.My DL was dtd 2002 from Bangalore north RTO and the vehicle was in my name regd at coimbatore RTO.

I told him that i works in coimbatore and comes to bangalore to visit my parents and i do have office in bangalore to visit, also one can use other state vehicle for 6 months and my vehicle was just 45days old.

Still i was forced to pay karnataka LTT which was around 1 lac . Stating that even though my Vehicle is 2 months old, my DL is from karnataka and a vehicle was from Tamilnadu , as per RTO a person cant have two address in govt doccuments.I was allowed to pay karnataka tax with out getting NOC from coimbatore, so tax entry was not there in RC book, but a computerised challan was given and a charge sheet was provided to me stating TN reg num.

I was told that when i sell this vehicle to a Tamilnadu person i can claim back the tax or get regd at Bangalore , collect TN tax or move back than you can claim Karnataka tax back.

Now i sold the scorpio to a Tamilnadu person , got reg in his name as well, in coimbatore RTO,but no refund provided from karnataka.Reason given by RTO is - Please get vehicle regd at Bangalore after getting Tamilnadu noc and again get another noc from Karnataka regd back to tamilnadu then get the refund.I left the case and decided never to buy a non karnataka car .

My friends bolero is driven happily in coimbatore from 2007 to till date with out any hassles !.
Old 10th January 2011, 14:17   #482
BHPian

Default re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Dear Friends,
I am a resident of Bangalore from 1993.My Job was shifted to coimbatore in 2006 and In 2007 July i sold my Karnataka regd bolero to my friend in coimbatore and brought a new scorpio DX from Coimbatore reg num - TN37AV 1035.

When i got a new job at Bangalore in Sept 2007 i moved back with family.My office was in Bidadi and house was in yehlanka , which is around 100kms.On sept 20th, I was stopped between Kengeri by RTO , morning 7am and doccuments where verfied.My DL was dtd 2002 from Bangalore north RTO and the vehicle was in my name regd at coimbatore RTO.

I told him that i works in coimbatore and comes to bangalore to visit my parents and i do have office in bangalore to visit, also one can use other state vehicle for 6 months and my vehicle was just 45days old.

Still i was forced to pay karnataka LTT which was around 1 lac . Stating that even though my Vehicle is 2 months old, my DL is from karnataka and a vehicle was from Tamilnadu , as per RTO a person cant have two address in govt doccuments.I was allowed to pay karnataka tax with out getting NOC from coimbatore, so tax entry was not there in RC book, but a computerised challan was given and a charge sheet was provided to me stating TN reg num.

I was told that when i sell this vehicle to a Tamilnadu person i can claim back the tax or get regd at Bangalore , collect TN tax or move back than you can claim Karnataka tax back.

Now i sold the scorpio to a Tamilnadu person , got reg in his name as well, in coimbatore RTO,but no refund provided from karnataka.Reason given by RTO is - Please get vehicle regd at Bangalore after getting Tamilnadu noc and again get another noc from Karnataka regd back to tamilnadu then get the refund.I left the case and decided never to buy a non karnataka car .

My friends bolero is driven happily in coimbatore from 2007 to till date with out any hassles !.
Sorry to hear what you have gone through.
I have heard lot of people going through smilar incidences, hence please folks take note that any one moving to Bangalore “Do not bring outside state registered vehicles without paying proper taxes”
Old 10th January 2011, 14:25   #483
BHPian

Quote:
The game is clear. The Bangalore RTO ppl are 'simply not interested' in making life easier for the Junta. The absurd tax encourages people to not pay up taxes. If a person who doesn't want to stay here for more than one year wants to drive his vehicle, will the RTO ppl give him aride

Skipping the tax is risky too but I guess that is what most ppl do till they are caught. It natural. I see nothing wrong in what ppl do to avoid tax. In your case, did they bother to pay you back when you sold the vehicle. Nope! Then why do they get frustrated when ppl don't pay their tax.

With no offense to anyone, this is called Xenophobia!!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 10th January 2011 at 14:27.
Old 10th January 2011, 14:56   #484
BHPian

^^
Abhi- For that matter its not just the KA RTO guys. Its the same everywhere. I've long given up on the road tax because I keep moving between different states because of the nature of my job. I tried to be honest but I finally got vexed with it. I have re-funds pending from these RTO guys, close to 10-15k for more than 4yrs now.

Other day, three of our friends parked our bikes at a Coffee Day in Indiranagar. I had a KA registration and other two didnt. The towing van lifted the other two bikes and left mine when all three of us parked next to each other, in right THE parking zone. So ridiculous and they ended paying 200 bucks each.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:02   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Abhi- For that matter its not just the KA RTO guys. Its the same everywhere.
Not really! I am a Delhiite and have lived there for a number of years. There are vehicles from 'almost all' states. No one gives a damn!

PS: I am not trying to suggest that Delhi is great and Bangalore is not. All I am trying to say is that there is an 'un-necessary bias' in Bangalore (RTO)for people who have vehicles from outside the state.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:14   #486
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
For that matter its not just the KA RTO guys. Its the same everywhere.
Its only in Karnataka. It happens in Mumbai too but they are not unreasonable like the RTO in Karnataka.

And like the lifting of Non KA vehicles in Bangalore, it happened to me too. Parked in a perfectly legal parking slot on CMH road and they picked up only my Goa registered bike. Right in front of me even with me protesting.

And yes Xenophobia at its best.
Old 10th January 2011, 18:21   #487
BHPian

I dont see any reason why you cant get the refund from the Bangalore RTO. Since there is no NOC, the job should be lot easier to get the refund.

Saying that, if a case is registered when you are stopped by RTO stating the reason for other state regd vehicles, there is no chance of getting a refund. As told by ARTO of Koramangla to me.

I got a NOC for my AP regd vehicle, RTO siezed my documents and a case is booked. Had to pay the LTT, address change and regd no change. When I enquired in RTO-AP for the tax refund, they gave a wide smile and said forget it SIR.......
Old 10th January 2011, 18:23   #488
BHPian

It's probably true guys. Other state vehicles are being run in almost every state. But the ordeal gone through are the most for drivers in Bangalore. When i lived in Bangalore, I paid fines quite a few times for my TN registered 2-wheeler. But when i was in Mumbai, I did not have an issue.

Even in Chennai, I find the cops are not that fuzzy about other state vehicles, atleast not for the cars.

If there is any way that we can bring this issue, I am in for it? Any legal experts here?
Old 10th January 2011, 19:03   #489
MX6
Senior - BHPian

13000 / number of years seems to be very less! Which car did you have then? What would happen if I were to get my 5 year old ikon to Karnataka? What would be the tax I'd need to pay. Ofcourse, I don't intend to come to karnataka. Just interested in knowing what's the tax there for a 5 year old ikon registered elsewhere.
Old 10th January 2011, 19:08   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Parked in a perfectly legal parking slot on CMH road and they picked up only my Goa registered bike.
Are you on a Goa license?
I have been thinking of buying my next vehicle from Panaji where my folk reside. But to operate it here on my KA-01 license might be cause for trouble, going by all this. Guess I have to change the license to a GA-01 as well to avoid confusion!
Old 10th January 2011, 19:40   #491
BHPian

What does address on the licence have to do with the address in the registration of the vehicle? Pardon my ignorance, can someone enlighten me why one cant have different addresses in the DL and smartcard.

Or is KA specific phenomenon?
Old 10th January 2011, 19:47   #492
BHPian

Seems to be a KA only phenomenon. I have a West bengal registered 94 Shogun , that i drive in Uttar Pradesh with a Delhi drivers license.

I havent faced any hassle for the past 16 years that i have been using it. Here you should have the original documents and the cops will not bother you.
Old 10th January 2011, 19:57   #493
BHPian

Its completely a KA specific phenomenon and our Bangalore RTO gentlemen fail to understand that Software Engineers don't pluck money from any tree or print it on an Inkjet!

Back in Kerala, We have used different TN/PY registered cars for more than 20 years with ZERO HASSLES!

But in Bangalore, I was caught for my KL registered bike from the DAY 1 for tax related issues.

Its high time to act against this brutal day time robbery!
Old 10th January 2011, 19:57   #494
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post
What does address on the licence have to do with the address in the registration of the vehicle? Pardon my ignorance, can someone enlighten me why one cant have different addresses in the DL and smartcard.

aroop, what I can understand from license in this context is actually the 'license plate' itself which translates to Registration number and not specifically the driver's licence pe se.
Old 10th January 2011, 20:03   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop View Post

Lets say you have a KA DL and get caught with a WB car, it is difficult to explain your way out of that situation (Since you look more of a localite than from WB)

Same example you have a WB both - you can be more confident to talk your way out of it.

Having a diff state licence or not has nothing to do with the motor vehicles act, just a easy way to get out a soup, especially in bangy..!!
Closed Thread