Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th December 2011, 11:18   #571
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
My friend who has been living in Karnataka for last 10+ years, Studied and working now. Bought a Alto K10 from his hometown in KL. Reason its cheaper there! This is a little hard to digest for me, that to save a couple of bucks he is actually did this. To add, he is scouting for a place to buy and plans to live in Bangalore only!
Definitely isnt a one in a million case. Most colleagues of mine who are from neighboring states (AP,KL,TN) buy cars from there though they are well settled here. Some people even drive DL/HR/CD reg cars for 4-5 years here and are proud of the fact
Old 14th December 2011, 11:38   #572
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
They are doing it in Electonics City, just read about a guy who a 56K tax demand on his Santro . It seems the cops/RTO whatever took away the copy of his papers and threatened to sieze his car if he didn't get them the original. I think for 56K it is worthwhile to fight, these guys do nothing except targetting outsiders seems to be their only profession. The car has been in KA only for 6 months, so he can fight it out.
Fight WHAT out? It's illegal to ply a vehicle with out of state plates in KA if you are a resident. They are within their rights to enforce that law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
A known got challaned for 30k+ in November. Careful fellas.
Yeah well I got challaned 47K in 2002. It still rankles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
Close call for me as well! Avoid the junction if possible.

Looking up the Automobile Association number to possibly start the process. This is extortion man - pay up in KA and forget about what your owed by the government!
You can do it at the local RTO. Any number of obliging agents that haunt the premises will be able to get it done for you. All you need is your original RC book with an NOC from the issuing RTO. And proof of your KA address I think.

Quote:
EDIT: Forgot to ask the question: what should people do to protect themselves given that its not feasible to avoid taking the vehicle out in these times? Is there someway to get a challan or receipt that shows we are processing the road tax payment to avoid the harassment?
Good luck with that! These guys landed up at my OFFICE and caught me as I was driving home for lunch (5 minute drive). They are smarter than you think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This is illegal. They have no right to seize the car or demand original documents. Once you hand over the original papers, they won't return it until you pay up. This is how they play.
Sandeep, not only CAN they do it, they actually do it and there is diddly sqwat you can do about it. In my case they threatened to seize the car and take it into impound, with the RTO guy telling my Dad in Kannada (I am not fluent) "Saar there is no guarantee what will happen to the car in impound!"

Don't push your luck- go ahead and pay the LTT.
Old 14th December 2011, 11:48   #573

Quote:
My friend who has been living in Karnataka for last 10+ years, Studied and working now. Bought a Alto K10 from his hometown in KL. Reason its cheaper there! This is a little hard to digest for me, that to save a couple of bucks he is actually did this. To add, he is scouting for a place to buy and plans to live in Bangalore only!
If a neighbouring state has a tax rate about 10percent less than Karnataka (I think its 6% in Kerala) people would naturally gravitate towards it. I am not saying its right but its a consequence of the systems we have created namely, the irrational tax regime that exists in Karnataka. If the government decides to rationalise tax rates, i.e., reduce rates to get them on parity with most states in India, or the system of payment i.e., introduce an annual system of payment, I am sure this problem will go away.

Its similar for fuel (motor spirits) in Karnataka as well, which is the only State in the country, as far as I am aware, that has not scrapped its Sales Tax Act after the introduction of VAT because the default rate of tax under VAT is a 'mere' 13-14% and what they continue to charge under KST is in the region of 20-21%, if not higher.
Old 14th December 2011, 11:57   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Fight WHAT out? It's illegal to ply a vehicle with out of state plates in KA if you are a resident. They are within their rights to enforce that law.

The law is very clear, atleast in terms of technicalities, you can get the car registered in your parents' name. There is no obligation to pay LTT if you are not a resident and your children can use the car for a period of 11 months in KA . Being a resident is no reason to pay the tax, I don't see any connection, other than targetting outsiders. I had my parents' Fiesta for 2 months in Bangalore, and I am a resident for 5 years, does that mean I have to pay LTT to KA which has possibly the worst roads in the south. This is just year end hafta and revenue drives, none of this money is spent on any development whatsoever, roads will not improve and public transport will be neglected.
Old 14th December 2011, 12:10   #575
BHPian

Quote:
You can do it at the local RTO. Any number of obliging agents that haunt the premises will be able to get it done for you. All you need is your original RC book with an NOC from the issuing RTO. And proof of your KA address I think.

Good luck with that! These guys landed up at my OFFICE and caught me as I was driving home for lunch (5 minute drive). They are smarter than you think!
Your story is very terrifying! Looks like I might be in trouble this evening too. How did they find out where you work in any case - just curious?

In my case... yeah my mistake, but I just kept postponing it until now. As of today, I actually want to get over with this thing and just move on with life - no point living in fear like this.

But, to begin the process here, I need the NOC from the car registration state and this will itself take at least 2 weeks or so. And, I have to physically go there to get the police NOC etc - so, its not going to happen in a hurry.

I wanted to know if I could somehow get some paperwork to indicate this is under progress. Just spoke to a couple of touts as well - looks like nothing is possible. Also, there is no way to process the NOC from here if we have not taken it from the previous RTO - dont know why the rules are so mundane - no scope for mistakes. If your transferred, you already have a ton of things to take care - there should be someway of getting this done after you move. Enough of my rant now...
Old 14th December 2011, 12:23   #576
Team-BHP Support

@ddis_dude: Please my original post here (Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached). It's rather painful to rehash the details again

Quote:
The law is very clear, atleast in terms of technicalities, you can get the car registered in your parents' name. There is no obligation to pay LTT if you are not a resident and your children can use the car for a period of 11 months in KA .
Avira, I got caught 2 months after moving to Bangalore. I already had my NOC and explained to the RTO guy that I had every intention of paying LTT and transferring the registration within the mandated 6 months (which is what I thought it was). In fact I told him I would do it on the same weekend. He gave me a "heard that line before" look, confiscated my papers and my keys, told me to go arrange for the 47,000 odd (including 2K fine IIRC, God knows what for!) or the car goes into impound. You tell me what law and technicality I can use in such a situation.

Quote:
Being a resident is no reason to pay the tax, I don't see any connection, other than targetting outsiders. I had my parents' Fiesta for 2 months in Bangalore, and I am a resident for 5 years, does that mean I have to pay LTT to KA which has possibly the worst roads in the south.
Yes I think it does.

Quote:
This is just year end hafta and revenue drives, none of this money is spent on any development whatsoever, roads will not improve and public transport will be neglected.
True. But by that yardstick none of us should pay any income tax as well. It's a can of worms. As long as the tax is legal, you and I have to comply. Or face the consequences!

Last edited by noopster : 14th December 2011 at 12:28.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 12:38   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avira, I got caught 2 months after moving to Bangalore. I already had my NOC and explained to the RTO guy that I had every intention of paying LTT and transferring the registration within the mandated 6 months (which is what I thought it was). In fact I told him I would do it on the same weekend. He gave me a "heard that line before" look, confiscated my papers and my keys, told me to go arrange for the 47,000 odd (including 2K fine IIRC, God knows what for!) or the car goes into impound. You tell me what law and technicality I can use in such a situation.
The actual rule is, you can pay the LTT and must re-register within 12 months from that date, by getting an NOC from the home state (and the RTO there has to repay the pro-rata LTT paid). In actual practice they will not bother about re-regn if the KA tax is paid. That is how I used my Splendor at B'lore for 5 years.

This rule is actually the same in all states. That other states do not enforce it is no reason to bad mouth KA RTO, who are within their rights to do it. And the bad infra mentioned by some is no excuse either. If we don't like it, we are free to go elsewhere, aren't we!

But I do agree the way it is done leaves a bad taste sometimes, when you feel like an illegal Bangladeshi immigrant!
Old 14th December 2011, 12:41   #578
BHPian

Quote:
@ddis_dude: Please my original post here (Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached). It's rather painful to rehash the details again

Yes I think it does.

True. But by that yardstick none of us should pay any income tax as well. It's a can of worms. As long as the tax is legal, you and I have to comply. Or face the consequences!
If the car is not in your name, you don't have to pay the tax. Going around with a local company ID means you will be targeted.

2 months and LTT, I hope you are joking, the car is back in Kerala, it's in my dad's name and there is absolutely no reason to pay. If my car was impounded, there would have been sufficient grounds not to pay, and I would have gone to court.

This is just a problem with locals with a chip on their shoulder, can't do much about it. I drive a KA registered car, nobody targets me when I am in Kerala because of that, but overspeeding,no seatbelts and drunk driving means that you will be facing actions, legal one, not the "only Kannada, give me money" routine that you get in BLR.
Old 14th December 2011, 12:47   #579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is from the invoice amount of the state where the vehicle was purchased.
Regarding your car, the toll receipts should help for 6 months.

Also, if you are going to pay the road tax for two wheeler, please take any of your kannada speaking friend(if you don't know kannada) with you to manage the agents.

Anyone planning to pay road tax in KA51(Electronic City RTO), please let me know. I would like to pay road tax for my two wheeler. Couple of times I approached the Jayanager RTO but couldn't manage the agents and hence didn't pay the road tax.
Old 14th December 2011, 12:57   #580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If the car is not in your name, you don't have to pay the tax. Going around with a local company ID means you will be targeted.

2 months and LTT, I hope you are joking, the car is back in Kerala, it's in my dad's name and there is absolutely no reason to pay. If my car was impounded, there would have been sufficient grounds not to pay, and I would have gone to court.
You're going to be fighting a losing battle my friend. I'm not saying this to hurt your sentiments or bring you down. It's just reality. It will happen. If not now or immediately, then perhaps later. Unless there is an amendment where there is a nation-wide one-road-tax-registration rule. Not sure if that would happen any time soon.

Quote:
This is just a problem with locals with a chip on their shoulder, can't do much about it. I drive a KA registered car, nobody targets me when I am in Kerala because of that, but overspeeding,no seatbelts and drunk driving means that you will be facing actions, legal one, not the "only Kannada, give me money" routine that you get in BLR.
I hope you understand that we're talking about the law here. The relationship with local residents-outsiders doesn't really count. If it's a crime one's commited, they will be tried, and prosecuted, irrespective of the State they belong to. However, for traffic-related offenses, they will be tried and prosecuted accordingly.

Quote:
"only Kannada, give me money"
I also hope you understand that this is pretty much the attitude everywhere in India? Along with our unique diversity in language, class, custom, religion, etc. comes a can of worms that one wouldn't want to open. There is bound to be differences and objections despite there being a law.

But this doesn't rob me of being proud to be an Indian, or a resident of Karnataka.

EDIT: There is room for improvement, as I see it. Let's hope that we're on track and headed the right direction. One doesn't know what the future holds.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 14th December 2011 at 13:00.
Old 14th December 2011, 13:12   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You're going to be fighting a losing battle my friend. I'm not saying this to hurt your sentiments or bring you down. It's just reality. It will happen. If not now or immediately, then perhaps later. Unless there is an amendment where there is a nation-wide one-road-tax-registration rule. Not sure if that would happen any time soon.

I hope you understand that we're talking about the law here. The relationship with local residents-outsiders doesn't really count. If it's a crime one's commited, they will be tried, and prosecuted, irrespective of the State they belong to. However, for traffic-related offenses, they will be tried and prosecuted accordingly.

I also hope you understand that this is pretty much the attitude everywhere in India? Along with our unique diversity in language, class, custom, religion, etc. comes a can of worms that one wouldn't want to open. There is bound to be differences and objections despite there being a law.

But this doesn't rob me of being proud to be an Indian.
No , the details are spelled out clearly, it's not a losing battle. The car is about to be sold so no need to be bothered about LTT in any state, got to sell before the insurance expires.

Its not the case anywhere in India, I did mention Kerala, although how many of us want to deal with straighforward law enforcement is another subject. The local-outsider thing is a lot worse than you care to admit.

My LTT is paid, so I am not a really bothered. KA registration(most people think all KA is BLR) serves 2 purposes
1. No harrassment in KA

2. Nobody expects you to drive properly anywhere outside BLR.
Old 14th December 2011, 13:33   #582
BHPian

Guys,

I am properly confused now :(. I am getting a Honda Dio(registered on my dads name) to bangalore from Goa. I want to keep it here so ill do the reregistration and related things. For how long can i use it here without being stopped and harassed? At least a month? Or do I get it here and directly head to RTO? help!
Old 14th December 2011, 14:01   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Read your story and truly empathize with you noopster - this is a bad situation for me also now then. One question though - does paying the 47k mean no more need for NOC, LTT etc? We just go ahead and get the car a KA registration with this challan?

I'm asking because in this case - its highly likely I'm gonna get pulled over too. To avoid harassment by the KA RTO, I need to now goto Chennai, get the police NOC (for which I have to sign in person), hand over the police NOC to a tout because there is no way I can just leave work and disappear for more than 2-3 days and then wait for at least 2 weeks before getting the NOC and starting the process here.

At the end of this torture, if its found meaningless if I get pulled over locally in the next 2 weeks anyway, I might as well just drive upto the guys waiting outside Gopalan Mall in Bannerghatta Road with like 50-60k cash in hand and get this over with?
Old 14th December 2011, 14:17   #584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
As far as I am aware, if you are taking your car out of state, then it is a pan-India rule that you must always carry original RC, Insurance and Emission Certificate. So traffic police are well within their rights to demand original documents.
I did not know this. What happens if you misplace the documents or if your car is stolen? Do you have any idea about the ordeal you need to go through to get a duplicate? I believe it involves filing an FIR report with the police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
From my personal experience, I have driven Bangalore registered cars/bikes in TN and KL. Always carried documents in original. Got stopped a couple of times, and when I produced original documents they simply let me go.
This is how it should be. It annoys me why the traffic police harass out of state cars. You are actually discouraging people from coming here with such silly rules.

Quote:
Sandeep, not only CAN they do it, they actually do it and there is diddly sqwat you can do about it. In my case they threatened to seize the car and take it into impound, with the RTO guy telling my Dad in Kannada (I am not fluent) "Saar there is no guarantee what will happen to the car in impound!"
I am still saying that this practice is illegal and is only being done here. There is no law written anywhere that states the vehicle be impounded. That RTO guy should have been thrashed.
Old 14th December 2011, 14:17   #585
Senior - BHPian

I got successfully transferred one car and two 2 wheelers in Bangalore. All transfers I did myself without involving any agent and without paying a single rupee bribe.

It was all smooth process unless you have all documents intact with you. If you have missed a single document then they will ask you to bring and most of the people termed it as harassment.

After transferring my car, I sold it also and I want to keep both 2 wheelers with me. As of now, my two wheeler is running in original state number plate but it is registered in KARNATAKA RTO and I have got smart card also for the same with other state registration mark. For KA number, I have to wait for atleast 90 days. All taxes are duly paid.

For those who want to transfer their vehicle to Karnataka do not go for Agent and take one day off from office provided that you have all documents with you. Do some homework. My all experience is with KR Puram, Bangalore RTO.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread