Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th December 2011, 16:22   #586
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Its a question of Peace of Mind vs Saving some good money.

I drove a KL regd Indigo for a good 6 years here. Was never caught for Taxes. They always ask, and i said, im on an official visit and would drive back day after. It worked. But my friend was not that lucky. His car was seized from Jayanagar shopping complex, and he was made to pay around 44k for his santro.

When i was planning to change my car, i decided to avoid that tension for some peace of mind on the road. Not having to be bothered of the cops and rto guys itself is a pain free drive through this bumper to bumper, pothole to gutter drive.

Even if I hadnt taken the xuv, i still would have got a car from kar, as i dont plan to shift from here.

Its a mighty 10-12 % difference in kerala and kar taxes. But then why do something illegal and live like a thief !!!!
Old 14th December 2011, 16:22   #587
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2011 at 16:24.
Twiny is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th December 2011, 17:46   #588

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post

For those who want to transfer their vehicle to Karnataka do not go for Agent and take one day off from office provided that you have all documents with you. Do some homework. My all experience is with KR Puram, Bangalore RTO.
Congratulations on getting this done without paying a bribe, truly remarkable.

Could you elaborate the process a little more so that people here can have a roadmap of some sort in place when going to the RTO? Thanks.
Old 15th December 2011, 19:48   #589
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion003 View Post
Congratulations on getting this done without paying a bribe, truly remarkable.
If you have original RC Book, NOC, Invoice, Original valid Insurance, Emission Certificate, duly filled RTO Forms every experience will be remarkable. Over the years I have never paid bribes. There is a help desk at the RTO and they are very helpful. Only pain is that you have to buy the english forms outside

Cheers

KPS
Old 15th December 2011, 20:30   #590
BHPian

Case in Point - I shifted to Bangalore from Chennai a year ago just for the sake of the weather and close proximity to my home town in TN. I travel almost every month to my hometown in TN and stay for atleast 7-10 days. So technically, 1/3 of my monthly stay is in TN and 2/3 in Bangalore. I do not work in Bangalore either as I just remote manage my business overseas. I have never been stopped till date by police, but the toll receipts, car maintenance receipts(I maintain it with Toyota service in my hometown), Emission check receipts are all from TN and they are always kept in the car. Should I re-register and pay the road tax in Bangalore?
Old 15th December 2011, 20:40   #591
BHPian

I visited the Karnataka RTO website to understand about applicable Road Taxes. (Transport Department).

One thing is not clear to me. On what price is the Road Tax Supposed to be calculated? Ex-showroom price or what? The reason I ask this is because, I am not finding any correlation between the tax slabs mentioned in the RTO website to the Road Tax being indicated by the BLR dealers on their websites.

I unerstand that there is a 10% CESS also on the Road Tax computed above. Can someone please throw some light?
Old 15th December 2011, 21:48   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
Case in Point - I shifted to Bangalore from Chennai a year ago just for the sake of the weather and close proximity to my home town in TN. I travel almost every month to my hometown in TN and stay for atleast 7-10 days. So technically, 1/3 of my monthly stay is in TN and 2/3 in Bangalore. I do not work in Bangalore either as I just remote manage my business overseas. I have never been stopped till date by police, but the toll receipts, car maintenance receipts(I maintain it with Toyota service in my hometown), Emission check receipts are all from TN and they are always kept in the car. Should I re-register and pay the road tax in Bangalore?
Why you want to pay. As you told 1/3rd of a month you are in TN and even if you get caught you have all the proofs with you to show you came recently. I am planning the same when i will get my KL reg car. I dont have a plan to stay in Bangalore for long as of now. So don't planing to pay tax here.
Old 16th December 2011, 08:11   #593
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvurride View Post
I have never been stopped till date by police, but the toll receipts, car maintenance receipts(I maintain it with Toyota service in my hometown), Emission check receipts are all from TN and they are always kept in the car. Should I re-register and pay the road tax in Bangalore?
In my opinion there is no need to re-register to KA. You are doing the right thing wrt to pollution/service. Keep atleast 3 months toll/fuel records with you. Keep them in random order so that they cannot establish a pattern. Tell them you are a frequent visitor to Bangalore and based in TN.

Another thing the RTO keeps in mind is, where you are filing your Income Tax Returns. If you are salaried and filing IT in Bangalore, they will not accept that you are here on a short term visit. Since you are a businessman it will be difficult for them to establish you are here permanently.
Old 16th December 2011, 08:45   #594
Senior - BHPian

Here is my take on this entire situation.

The law is quite clear. If you are moving to another State, then re-register and pay taxes. However, in reality, things get extremely subjective. A lot of the posts here reflect that subjectivity. Life is never as straight-forward!

With all this subjectivity and, all sorts of real-life scenarios of visiting frequently, staying a few months temporarily, etc etc, there are 2 possible approaches to law enforcement.

The first is what they do in the USA (I am using that example because, like in India, vehicle registration/taxation is done by state and the law on moving residence is broadly similar). They basically trust you, the citizen, to know and understand and interpret the law correctly as per your life situation. But Big Brother is watching, and if you are flagrantly violating the law, you will be caught.

The second is what is happening in India. All of us (and this is a cultural thing) believe that we are always smarter than the next person and law enforcement . Law enforcement then behaves like a very thinly veiled goonda-raj with some legitimacy of the law. Which all boils down to RTO/police using any means possible to out-smart the citizens who are all trying to behave like smart-cookies anyway to begin with. And hence the sort of debates, opinions, and battles with RTO/police we see in this thread.

Makes sense?
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 09:00   #595
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
The first is what they do in the USA (I am using that example because, like in India, vehicle registration/taxation is done by state and the law on moving residence is broadly similar). They basically trust you, the citizen, to know and understand and interpret the law correctly as per your life situation. But Big Brother is watching, and if you are flagrantly violating the law, you will be caught.
A colleague of mine moved from one state to another but never re-registered her car earlier this year. After 8 months, she was stopped and was given a notification to get this done. She took the morning off to complete this.

Respect the law and the law will respect you however, the latter does not always happen, however much you try!
Old 16th December 2011, 09:07   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
A colleague of mine moved from one state to another but never re-registered her car earlier this year. After 8 months, she was stopped and was given a notification to get this done. She took the morning off to complete this.
Happened to my uncle when he moved from Delhi to Bangalore. About a year after driving all over Bangalore in a DL registed car, cops gave him a really stern talking-to (no official notice, though). Then, he re-registered the car.
When did all this happen? 1981!!
Old 16th December 2011, 10:20   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion003 View Post
Could you elaborate the process a little more so that people here can have a roadmap of some sort in place when going to the RTO? Thanks.
Thanks Arion003. I did three successful transfer of my vehicles to Bangalore. Infact in Bangalore I saw that, if you approach them with full documents then no way they deny you any service. I respect superintendent Siddaramaih of KR Puram RTO. He is strict but cool officer and incharge of interstate transfers.

Most of the forms you can get from RTO website and take a printout from there. Forms are

1. Form 27
2. Form KMVT 27
3. Form 31
4 Form 14

(Exact list can be confirmed from website or RTO, whatever I remember I have written here).

Then you need to have
5. Original NOC in duplicate
6. Two photos.
7. Original invoice of your vehicle for tax assessment
8. Original RC, Insurance, PUC.

You need to submit original RC and xerox of PUC and insurance. They charge
smart card fee of Rs. 200 and few more rupees and tax amount.

and most important-

9 Almost one day for official work.

Procedure is as follows:

Once you get all documents, submit it to Superintendent and get it verified. One he says all documents are proper then he will assess tax on Form 14 and will inform you other fees (Smart Card, Address change etc.). Then he will ask you to go to ARTO to take his initials. Then you need to go to data entry operator to make entry of your data into system. Then you have to go to fee counter to pay tax and necessary fees for the work. After that, you have to go to Motor Vehicle Inspector for getting your vehicle inspected by them and take their initials. In this process you may have to take pencil imprint of chassis number and stick in one of the form.

Your work is over. Now submit all documents and take the acknowledgement. You will get new smart card mailed to your home in few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
If you have original RC Book, NOC, Invoice, Original valid Insurance, Emission Certificate, duly filled RTO Forms every experience will be remarkable. Over the years I have never paid bribes. There is a help desk at the RTO and they are very helpful. Only pain is that you have to buy the english forms outside
Great KPS! Yes once you miss any form from home you need to buy outside but that is hardly few rupees.

Last edited by anujmishra : 16th December 2011 at 10:30.
anujmishra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 11:37   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Respect the law and the law will respect you however, the latter does not always happen, however much you try!
What I understand on this thread is, it is basically ILLEGAL to drive an out-of-state registation car after 1 year.

To get it registered basically you need a list of documents bigger than my wife's grocery list and NOCs from the RTO of your state of registration and some endorsements from some other officials etc etc.

Now as I understand (and I might be wrong), getting this NOC is not fun really. Most likely you will have to go thru an agent (which will always be the case if the said RTO is anywhere in North of India, about Southern India dont know much). This will also involve some kind (or cash) of additional charges (read under the table kind) which again is something ILLEGAL!

Getting the new Reg will again involve agents and another set of same kind of additional charges (though one human amongst us has got this done without these charges and "R.E.S.P.E.C.T" him for that!) which again is something ILLEGAL.

Getting back your LTT from the ex-RTO will again involve more involvement of agents and additional charges - more ILLEGAL things to be done.

In a nutshell, to not to be illegal in one respect, one has to do plethora of other illegal things! What a strange reality.

I would be first in line for re-reg of my out of state car here in Bangalore, only if the govt can guarantee me that there will be no harassment and none of these additional charges involved.

Last edited by joslicx : 16th December 2011 at 11:39.
joslicx is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 11:46   #599
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Here is my take on this entire situation.

The law is quite clear...

...and battles with RTO/police we see in this thread.

Makes sense?
And with that, we can close this thread and be done with the discussion itself.

You really couldn't have put it in any other way, KiloAlfa! Precise, accurate, the simplest explanation. It not only brings in the law's take, but also the human's psyche and implementation of the same. Sir, have you considered writing a book?
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2011, 12:45   #600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I would be first in line for re-reg of my out of state car here in Bangalore, only if the govt can guarantee me that there will be no harassment and none of these additional charges involved.
The system adapts itself to prevent any sort of mechanism from stopping this flow of funds from under the table. Earlier, one coulod use Bangalore One services to pay the road tax, which doesn't seem to be the case now. Obviously, the agents and the RTO chaps lost out on the bribes when this was possible!

Its the same case with the passport process in India. After the passport sevas came about, the process improved, but in the midst of all of it, there is still the Police verification procedure, which is a money spinner for the cops. Its also the slowest link in the entiure chain.
Closed Thread