Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 12:26   #661
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I love residing here and thats my choice
That's the only thing that is keeping us here. The government tries its best to make us hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Corruption and other matters are everywhere.
But not to the same extent: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tes-india.html (Corrupt states in India)
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 12:15   #662
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Im not from KA, but I love this city, and would not want to move ever.

But that doesnt mean that we have to put up with anything and everything been thrown at us by the Govts.

How does any Govt justify 19% tax on a vehicle without giving basic infrastructure like decent roads, parking space? A flyover takes 3 years to complete. The Bellandur flyover is under construction for last 3-4 years, and no where near completion !!

I have not seen a single traffic police man working on clearing traffic jams, instead you see them hiding behind blind-spots to catch the red light jumpers and helmetless bikers, all for that petty Rs100 fine. He is least bothered when it comes to messy traffic in Outer ring road or Cauvery circle.

You have to cope up with all this for the love of this city. And thats the tragic part.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 12:38   #663
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default

I think this is practical and correct move by the Govt. Many employees for that matter be it Govt/ private, keep on shifting/relocating to different cities. In that circumstance can it be practical for the state to return the tax paid or how will a new state track to collect tax.I personally feel that if a car is registered in a state, then LTT has to be paid without any exemption. off course exemption should be given to eligible criteria like Ambulance/Handicapped vehicles etc.

Possible suggestion:- I personally feel that the annual tax payment scheme should be allowed to all category people including the central Govt Employees who is expected to migrate to different states. This prevents from double taxation. Also there should be no harassment by the Traffic Cops in case they find any different state vehicle. I have noticed many other state cars here in Bangalore which ply easily without any Harassment.

Be it a Govt employee or Private employee, the law should stand on same footing to all. After all everyone contribute to the nation by way of Tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Im not from KA, but I love this city, and would not want to move ever.

But that doesnt mean that we have to put up with anything and everything been thrown at us by the Govts.

How does any Govt justify 19% tax on a vehicle without giving basic infrastructure like decent roads, parking space? A flyover takes 3 years to complete. The Bellandur flyover is under construction for last 3-4 years, and no where near completion !!

I have not seen a single traffic police man working on clearing traffic jams, instead you see them hiding behind blind-spots to catch the red light jumpers and helmetless bikers, all for that petty Rs100 fine. He is least bothered when it comes to messy traffic in Outer ring road or Cauvery circle.

You have to cope up with all this for the love of this city. And thats the tragic part.
I understand your contention. I have also wondered when many uncompleted flyover projects and Namma Metro is going to be completed.

But that cannot be the only reason to complain about a Government or a particular city for that matter. We cannot deny a fact that Bangalore is one of the best traffic managed cities.

I personally appreciate the traffic cops here in BANGALORE. They do a tough job. Each and every city has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 12th January 2012 at 18:43. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
rki2007 is offline  
Old 7th January 2012, 13:22   #664
BHPian
 
mannubhai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 409
Thanked: 285 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I understand your contention. I have also wondered when many uncompleted flyover projects and Namma Metro is going to be completed.

But that cannot be the only reason to complain about a Government or a particular city for that matter. We cannot deny a fact that Bangalore is one of the best traffic managed cities.

I personally appreciate the traffic cops here in BANGALORE. They do a tough job. Each and every city has its own advantages and disadvantages.
The best and worst exist in every city, I agree.

But what is the justification for having to cough up 19% tax on a 10.9 lac vehicle, when the neighboring state stands at just 6% tax.

Are their better roads ?
Is there better infrastructure ?
Do you have enough parking bays ?
Is there signal free traffic ?
Is the wear-tear in your vehicle any less ?

If all the above is YES, then the 13% extra I pay is negated and justified, else its plain looting. IMHO
mannubhai is offline  
Old 7th January 2012, 14:41   #665
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

I understand what you mean. But still it is a macro level question and just an answer like yes/no will not justify. For all your question, i seriously do not see any state in India which has everything in it. As i earlier said there is always a plus and minus with everything.

I agree with you and i have also wondered why the petrol price and as well as road tax is so high in Bangalore.
rki2007 is offline  
Old 7th January 2012, 20:19   #666
mxx
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 682
Thanked: 101 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
The best and worst exist in every city, I agree.

But what is the justification for having to cough up 19% tax on a 10.9 lac vehicle, when the neighboring state stands at just 6% tax.

Are their better roads ?
Is there better infrastructure ?
Do you have enough parking bays ?
Is there signal free traffic ?
Is the wear-tear in your vehicle any less ?

If all the above is YES, then the 13% extra I pay is negated and justified, else its plain looting. IMHO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I understand what you mean. But still it is a macro level question and just an answer like yes/no will not justify. For all your question, i seriously do not see any state in India which has everything in it. As i earlier said there is always a plus and minus with everything.

I agree with you and i have also wondered why the petrol price and as well as road tax is so high in Bangalore.
true that no state has all of these. So IMO, the high tax is justified if atleast if I have any 2 of the above list.
Fact is, forget 2, KA does not even have any 1 of these. And I mean KA, not just Bangalore city.
mxx is offline  
Old 12th January 2012, 16:49   #667
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

One clarification required regarding the recent decision of Karnataka RTO to discontinue annual road tax for Central Govt employees with transferrable job.

My friend is a Central Govt employee who purchased a car 3 years back in Bangalore. For the past 3 years, he has paid annual road tax. Now, he needs to pay the pro rata LTT.

How would this pro rata life time tax be calculated ?

Option 1:
13% of the 3-year depreciated value of his car .

Option 2:
13% of original invoice value minus annual road tax already paid for 3 years.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline  
Old 12th January 2012, 17:38   #668
BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 671
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
One clarification required regarding the recent decision of Karnataka RTO to discontinue annual road tax for Central Govt employees with transferrable job.

My friend is a Central Govt employee who purchased a car 3 years back in Bangalore. For the past 3 years, he has paid annual road tax. Now, he needs to pay the pro rata LTT.

How would this pro rata life time tax be calculated ?

Option 1:
13% of the 3-year depreciated value of his car .

Option 2:
13% of original invoice value minus annual road tax already paid for 3 years.

Rohan
Option 1 is invalid, LTT is calculated on invoice price, not on depreciated/IDV value.

Your friend will have to pay the tax for the remaining 12 years or so. The calculation is ( percentage of vehicle value based on showroom price )X (tax percentage from that year.)

e.g. A 3 year old car which costs <=5 lakh (first slab)will have to pay 81% of 12%(60 K) which will be about 48k plus. The tax slab varies(increases) with showroom/invoice price and the percentage of tax goes down with every year(the percentage of percentage for that slab). I don't think your friend will get a refund for annual tax, as he will be paying LTT which covers 15 years. The RTO has a word document which lists the calculation, its available online.
avira_tk is offline  
Old 12th January 2012, 18:02   #669
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 154
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Im not from KA, but I love this city, and would not want to move ever.

But that doesnt mean that we have to put up with anything and everything been thrown at us by the Govts.

How does any Govt justify 19% tax on a vehicle without giving basic infrastructure like decent roads, parking space? A flyover takes 3 years to complete. The Bellandur flyover is under construction for last 3-4 years, and no where near completion !!

I have not seen a single traffic police man working on clearing traffic jams, instead you see them hiding behind blind-spots to catch the red light jumpers and helmetless bikers, all for that petty Rs100 fine. He is least bothered when it comes to messy traffic in Outer ring road or Cauvery circle.

You have to cope up with all this for the love of this city. And thats the tragic part.

I think you are getting emotional by making such comments.

1. Roadtax is a common issue in all states not only in Karnataka. and it needs to be addressed seriously. I had to sell my car in Hyderabad just to avoid a huge roadtax for my Panther black Ikon and bought a new one in Bangalore.

2.Coming to infrastructure / traffic I have seen much worse cities I dont want to get a debate on comapring cities.

3. Tax rates are higher which i dont deny and the same is the case with neighbouring states as well. May be they are 1 or 2 % lower.

On a lighter note you love to live in the city so make some sacrifices
vinukm is offline  
Old 13th January 2012, 09:30   #670
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Option 1 is invalid, LTT is calculated on invoice price, not on depreciated/IDV value.

Your friend will have to pay the tax for the remaining 12 years or so. The calculation is ( percentage of vehicle value based on showroom price )X (tax percentage from that year.)

e.g. A 3 year old car which costs <=5 lakh (first slab)will have to pay 81% of 12%(60 K) which will be about 48k plus. The tax slab varies(increases) with showroom/invoice price and the percentage of tax goes down with every year(the percentage of percentage for that slab). I don't think your friend will get a refund for annual tax, as he will be paying LTT which covers 15 years. The RTO has a word document which lists the calculation, its available online.
I am aware of the tax slabs. His vehicle is Alto, which lies in the first slab.

I agree that LTT is calculated based on invoice value for a brand new vehicle. But when pro rata LTT has to be paid (for example when someone brings a 3 year old vehicle from some other state), the tax is calculated on the depreciated value of the vehicle.

I don't think the tax percentage would go down for this calculation. Tax percentage (13% or whatever) would remain same, but it would be calculated on the depreciated value (81% or whatever) of the vehicle.

Actually, my friend visited the RTO office and was told that pro rata LTT would be calculated as per Option 2 (mentioned in my previous post). I don't feel that this is the right approach, but he is forced to pay the pro rata LTT based on RTO officer's calculations.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline  
Old 13th January 2012, 09:50   #671
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 633
Thanked: 409 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

avira_tk is correct. Even for pro-rata LTT payment, the original invoice price is used to calculate the tax. Depreciation is only on the tax component.
bejoy is online now  
Old 13th January 2012, 10:53   #672
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 89
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
One clarification required regarding the recent decision of Karnataka RTO to discontinue annual road tax for Central Govt employees with transferrable job.

My friend is a Central Govt employee who purchased a car 3 years back in Bangalore. For the past 3 years, he has paid annual road tax. Now, he needs to pay the pro rata LTT.

How would this pro rata life time tax be calculated ?

Option 1:
13% of the 3-year depreciated value of his car .

Option 2:
13% of original invoice value minus annual road tax already paid for 3 years.

Rohan

It would be calculated as per option-2. One of my Dad's friend who is a central government employee recently had to pay close to 75K for his Manza. He was also paying Annual road tax.
flycatcher is offline  
Old 13th January 2012, 12:21   #673
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

One final question - How much is the surcharge ?

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline  
Old 14th January 2012, 11:43   #674
BHPian
 
avira_tk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 671
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
One final question - How much is the surcharge ?

Rohan
If you are referring to the municipal tax, its 1.2% across all slabs, your friend's tax bill will be 13.2%. I am not sure if this is taxed with depreciation like LTT, or on the original invoice price.
avira_tk is offline  
Old 16th January 2012, 09:02   #675
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,330
Thanked: 4,202 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

RTO officials back at NICE Road Junction on Bannerghatta Road to check other state vehicles for Road Tax. Saw cars with AP and MH plates stopped for verification.
arun_josie is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax on Tax? Road tax should be calculated on ex-factory price (not ex-showroom)! SILVERWOOD The Indian Car Scene 88 30th July 2017 12:39
NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban darklord The Indian Car Scene 284 25th March 2017 21:41
Diesel Cars: Down, down, down! Market share = 34% S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 66 2nd June 2016 16:21
Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement man_and_machine The Indian Car Scene 661 16th October 2012 23:14
High Court lifts double tax on imported cars nikapur The Indian Car Scene 7 14th February 2011 14:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks