Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2008, 22:27   #61
BHPian

Gosh! Till I read this discussion, I never realized that road tax laws are so out-dated and obviously so complicated that they can keep the RTO in business for years to come. These don't take into consideration the fact that people might not live in a city/state forever.

What kind of laws do they have in the US? Do people change registration when they move from one state to another?
Old 11th December 2008, 22:35   #62
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant ... its 12 months now!!

Yup... Hrag is right. The operative word here is KEPT IN THE STATE - very very diffcult to prove that (remember the ruling clearly says the ONUS of PROVING that is on them - not on you!) - all you need is a petrol bill, credit card slip of fuel bought, toll slips, insurance paid, pollution control certificate, (.. love letters... ) etc and you are done! Tell the cop - in a very nice tone that your know the law - and that you have the required pull (dont take ANY names!) to if required go to the court. LIke I said .. keep it matter-of-fact you will face no harrassment. Tick of the cops ego - he can cite all kinds of flimsy reasosns and sieze your vehicle etc. You can get it released after inspection - normally one day.. the rest has to be establised in the courts. They are only playing on your phobia and related hassle of court-kacheri!

Believe me it'll not go that far - no public prosecutor will want to waste his time with this!

Last edited by kb100 : 11th December 2008 at 22:36.
Old 11th December 2008, 22:42   #63
BHPian

Yes. I too saw similar thing happening in Koramangala ring road. Karnataka Admin got another way to rob people.
Old 11th December 2008, 22:58   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hi Dad, whats this Bangalore One ?
Mjothi: Where exactly did u go in INdiranagar? I have been going around in circles for this for over 2 years . Now that the car is 3.5 yrs old, I guess paying the tax wont be such a bad idea. I am sure there will be some depriciation. Can any one enlighten on this?
Its in old Madras road. You have to take a left turn from where the 100 feet road meets Old Madras road and cross the next junction. Move a little forward and then enter to the left side service lane and take a U turn to reach the RTO office.

Now regarding the depreciation that is the saddest part. In Bangalore they don't consider any depreciation. You will have to submit the original purchase invoice and NOC. They will calculate the Tax based on the amount mentioned in that. If you don't have purchase invoice they will consider the current market value for a new vehicle of the same model. This is how they calculated 7786 RS for my UP 2005 registration Karizma. I paid only 1225 RS in UP for registering in brand new
Old 12th December 2008, 00:30   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Not because you will avoid the cops but because its the RIGHT THING TO DO.
The day RTOs realize that once a person migrates to another state, refunding the lifetime road tax is the right thing to do... I guess people will also realize, that paying tax to RTO is right thing to do.
For somebody who does interstate travel on a regular basis, this is a nightmare. So what should that person do? Pay tax to 2 states?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th December 2008 at 00:32.
Old 12th December 2008, 00:36   #66
BHPian

Default How to file a PIL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Very Easy... Just hop off the freeway/highway at the village/town before the toll-gate and use the interior roads to get to K - unless you want to try filing a public interest litigation - You'll have my support!)
Does anybody have any idea how we can file a PIL? If we can spend so much time on the forum I think we can spend some time on that also. And considering that there are a lot of us on the forum who are effected by this we will have enough support.

May be we can all pool in money and hire a good lawyer and it would definitely be a lot cheaper than paying multiple taxes.
Old 12th December 2008, 00:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Bro, if you are serious I am sure a lot of us would join in.
Old 12th December 2008, 01:09   #68
BHPian

We already have a Judgment in this regard(6 month rule i guess), and secondly filing a PIL is simple, address a letter to the Chief Justice the High Court or else to the Chief Justice of India directly, if they think fit they will consider it as PIL or else hire a good lawyer and file PIL properly.
Old 12th December 2008, 09:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT, has anyone ever successfully received a prorata refund from any Karnataka RTO?

They have updated their website a few months back with a Form 16 and detailed instructions on the process but has anyone met with any success?

Links:
Instructions: GENERAL INFORMATION
Form 16 (takes you directly to the PDF form): http://rto.kar.nic.in/Form_16.pdf

Any inputs will be highly appreciated asI may relocate in early 2009!
Old 12th December 2008, 09:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Bro, if you are serious I am sure a lot of us would join in.
Count on me too. I have been asking for a while as to whether there are any legal experts (advocates) in this forum who can take the lead and do something in this regard.
Old 12th December 2008, 09:32   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Count on me too. I have been asking for a while as to whether there are any legal experts (advocates) in this forum who can take the lead and do something in this regard.
Count me too.i have been waiting for something to happen from TEAM-BHPans
Old 12th December 2008, 09:36   #72
BHPian

if you go to the Supreme Court website (Supreme Court of India), you can see one section called e filing. Can anyone enlighten us as to whether we can file a PIL through this ? When I logged in and tried to create a new case, I couldn't find an entry for PIL but there were other case types (which only an advocate can tell as to what all they mean)..
Old 12th December 2008, 10:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

count me too...

I am planning to buy a car next year, when checked I found huge difference in OTR price bw Kerala and Karnataka due to high road tax (in Karnataka)

Last edited by Latheesh : 12th December 2008 at 10:06.
Old 12th December 2008, 11:08   #74
BHPian

Default other reg vehicles in bnglr

guys ..
here is the ...trauma...read about devil, devil will stop you..!!

This is exactly what has happened yesterday - 11th dec near KR puram fly over in the evening.

Hey..I read this thread about afternoon and left office by evening. While I was just cruising with average speed of 50-60 kmph, the men in uniform stopped me.

By the way - the car I had - NHC - kerala registraion. Just arrived from calicut on 10th dec evening.

This was my drive back to home at CV raman nagar.

Haa..I had taken care to keep the car always on the right side..atleast while I drive KL reg vehicles in bangalore.

Yes, this helps a lots to avoid police wala. But this time, this guy jumped to middle of road. And often if you have noticed, they will just be on corner of road, or in a blind spot. These police wala..should be in armed forces..rather on combat field, highly camouflaged folks...atleast this Bangalore police are.

I just stopped with confidence. This guy started running to me, thought he can make a meal out of me. But..not with me..and not too with rest of the TBHPians...hopefully.

I just told one word - Defence - Oh man..what a respect - they are the most polite human being on earth - while the word defence came out of my mouth. - Guy told - sir, you could have put a sticker, then wouldn't have stopped you only.

ok, courtesy here - wife works for central govt -and me too had a small tint with armed forces. I know not everyone has this privilege, but dont bent your back, if you have not done mistake.

Its very absurd that you need to pay - LT even if you paid LT in the resp state, the vehicle is registered.

ask them to prove - if you bent your back against police men, they will climb on your head. This is from my past 8 years exp, i have learned. But if you done mistake, better pay for it.

But i bet, this works most time - atleast 7 out of 10 - they wont ask - the ID card or anything - if defence -and just give some valid reason, if they ask for card or ID -

or even central govt folks too - will not have any trouble- for using out of reg vehicles in bangalore. But police catch, mostly other reg vehicles here.

or as told early -either petrol bill works out - or toll bills - just tell them you are here just 2 days back - else let them prove

I am also against it - for not stopping while red lights on, breaking the rule, laws - should be fined. Then only you will not repeat that mistake.

and better never keep the original documents in car - for security measure - keep all the photo copies of all doc's.

Be a better driver - obey traffic rules - drive safely - let others learn from you -

rgrds
prsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
Dear All TEAM-BHPns

RTO did start fining for cars running in karnataka with other state number plates.
If u have the original RC book then they will take it or else they will take the car.
RC book or car will be given back only if u pay the tax.

Tax amount which you have to pay 13.5% of the total invoice amount of the car and that will be something you will never want to pay.

One of my friend was caught few days back and he was asked to pay 72k.i thought this information will be quite helpful to those who have not yet paid the road tax.

By chance if you are caught tell them u came here few days back and you will be going back very soon.

Regards
Binoy
Old 12th December 2008, 11:23   #75
BHPian

Hi,

I did get prorata refund. I must have paid around 15k and I got back around 11k, for which I had to pay additional 3k -- you know how and why.

Mine was a little complicated case because I didn't get an NOC from Maharashtra while moving to Bangalore. Maybe, if had an NOC, I probably would not have the need to pay the 3k.

I relied on an agent for all this and he was pretty reliable even when I had to cough up the 3k with no assurance that I'll get back the prorata refund on time. But everything came through in 2 months thanks to the agent.

I'd say stick to procedures and you have a better chance of recovering your money. PM me if you need the agent's contacts.

Regards,

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Slightly OT, has anyone ever successfully received a prorata refund from any Karnataka RTO?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated as I may relocate in early 2009!

Last edited by pradkumar : 12th December 2008 at 11:26.
Closed Thread