Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th February 2012, 15:24   #751
BHPian

Today morning I saw two traffic cops on cubbon park behind General Library pulling a green Ikon having Delhi Registration. The guy on the wheels was speaking in kannada "Nan yen madide, yaake nillis beku ?" They are traffic cops and not RTO. I thought of stopping just to know what they will do, but thought of minding my business.
Old 20th February 2012, 07:42   #752
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Huge penalty collected on RR being run on Temp plates

Quote:
A high-end Rolls Royce Ghost may have been a case of owner’s pride and neighbour’s envy for several months, but its dream run came to a screeching halt when the authorities slapped a humongous penalty of Rs 57 lakh on the owner. Reason: The car was being driven on the city roads with a temporary registration number.

According to transport department officials, the owner of the Ghost, a city-based realtor na-med Kumar Babu, had been directed to apply for perma-nent registration and pay the full road tax amount within a month, but had continued to ply the car regardless.

Speaking to Bangalore Mirror, joint commissioner of transport (Bangalore division) H G Kumar said, “It is for the first time that such a heavy penalty has been levied on a car. The car was seized by a vehicle inspector; within a day the owner paid the tax and the car was released.” Our efforts to contact Babu were unsuccessful.
Thanks to a black Ghost which alone contributed Rs 57L , News - Cover Story - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror
Old 20th February 2012, 08:24   #753
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

I had obtained NOC from State A when I relocated to State B, however, during same time period I moved to abroad and hence couldn't register the car in State B. Last year when I came back to India, chances were that I would move back to State A so I obtained a NOC cancellation from State B RTO, but unfortunately it didn't happen so now the present status is:
- Car has NOC from State A (not sure about the validity, there is no expiry date on it)
- State B RTO has given cancellation on the NOC but the car isn't yet registered back in State A

What I want:
- I want to register the car in State B, now that I will return back there.
Not sure how to go about it, any pointers/suggestions would be really helpful.
Old 20th February 2012, 13:29   #754
Distinguished - BHPian

NOC validity is usually said to be 6 months. I dont remember seeing it typed in the NOC I had collected from AP few years back, however I guess its a common duration since saw it mentioned in this forum few times.
In that case if you have the copy of old NOC may be you can get it redone giving the old one as reference.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:49   #755
BHPian

Quote:
I had obtained NOC from State A when I relocated to State B, however, during same time period I moved to abroad and hence couldn't register the car in State B. Last year when I came back to India, chances were that I would move back to State A so I obtained a NOC cancellation from State B RTO, but unfortunately it didn't happen so now the present status is:
- Car has NOC from State A (not sure about the validity, there is no expiry date on it)
- State B RTO has given cancellation on the NOC but the car isn't yet registered back in State A

What I want:
- I want to register the car in State B, now that I will return back there.
Not sure how to go about it, any pointers/suggestions would be really helpful.
1. There is nothing like a validity period for a NOC. **

2. You have to get your NOC cancelled at state A and not at state B since you never applied for a new registration which means you never used the NOC.

3. If you never used the NOC in state B, then State B has no jurisdiction to cancel NOC issued by another state. Not sure how you got it cancelled at B.

4. Your car is still registered with state A. Your registration doesn't get cancelled at A with issuance of NOC. Its just that your RC details will be tagged and kept in a separate database. Unless you get a new Rigistration at B, your old registration with A remain valid.

5. Generally, NOC cancellation can be given in plain paper in State A and a vehicle inspection might be done.

5. ** If you now want to move to B and go with that old NOC, since it has been issued 2 years ago, state B's RTO will calculate the tax from that date of issue. So you pay 2 years of extra tax (This is the reason why most people say NOC is valid for 6 months or so because within 6 months, they mostly do not calculate tax from the date of issue of NOC )

6. If you are planning to move to B, then get the NOC cancelled at A. Wait for a month and apply for a fresh NOC and then use this to move state.

Under any confusion, walk in to the big boss chamber. The lower staff will always give you lousy answers.

Regards,
Krishna.
kittigadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 21:03   #756
BHPian

In the recent state budget, they took away the provision for quarterly payment of road tax of taxi vehicles that costs more than 10L. Now they need to pay life time tax.

Source:
The Hindu : Cities / Bangalore : Reduction in sales tax on diesel fails to cheer transporters
Quote:
Bangalore Tourist Taxi Operators' Association general secretary K. Radhakrishna Holla said the proposal to levy 15 per cent lifetime tax on cabs would affect the luxury tax segment.

Sources in the Transport Department, however, said that many luxury car owners were getting their vehicles registered as taxis to evade hefty payment of road tax.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 09:55   #757
Senior - BHPian

Indirectly referring to KA government procedure, TN government too has proposed to tax other state vehicles plying in the state.

(read it in a tamil daily)
Old 10th April 2012, 13:22   #758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Indirectly referring to KA government procedure, TN government too has proposed to tax other state vehicles plying in the state.

Why am i not surprised?! After all, two wrongs make a right.
Now, lets wait for others to follow suit.
Old 10th April 2012, 14:44   #759
BHPian

May be topic which is discussed time and again , but i really wonder why governments do not opt a single tax across the country ; fix it at a single rate . Now that If I buy a car from Bangalore and pay the tax , may be in 2 yrs I move out to Bombay in my new company , I would be troubled by the cops there and would end up paying tax as well . I do understand that there is a tax pay back option as well when we transfer the registration , but we all would admit that its not efficient . So the normal citizen gets affected in the present scenario without a fault of his !
Morever , Karnataka tops it in road tax at 14% . Kerala its now 8 % for cars above 6 L and 6% for cars below 6L . Again the question is why such a huge difference?
Many things which I am not able to agree , and I dont know when a solution to these things will get implemented .
Old 10th April 2012, 17:30   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

I think it is more aimed at Private Omni buses which seem to run in Tamil Nadu with outside registration, case in point, sleeper buses are not legal as per Tamil Nadu RTO so all sleeper buses are either registered in Karnataka or Pondicherry.

I could be wrong though, if it is aimed at Private vehicles then its going to be tough for me with my Bangalore registered car.
Old 1st August 2012, 15:30   #761
Senior - BHPian

I bought a Pulsar 180 yesterday. Paid the amount last evening, will be getting the delivery tomorrow as the dealer will register it today.

He said Road Tax in Bangalore is going up by 5.5%. He said he will try and accomodate with the pre-rise tax rates, but if not possible then I will have to shell out another Rs. 600-700. I surfed the net but couldn't get any details regarding this rise.

Can anyone confirm this? Or am I getting fooled by the sales man?
Old 1st August 2012, 15:54   #762
Senior - BHPian

I have a TN regn 4 wheeler and I had a sale offer from Mumbai. I checked with the TN agent on how to get it done...

1) Present the vehicle in the Mother RTO (I am the 2nd owner and reside in a different city inside TN) - the RTO where it was registered at FIRST in the RC Book.

2) Get a NOC from that RTO also from Local SP (Supr of Police) Office.

3) NOC to INCLUDE the NAME of the BUYERS CITY where it is going to be registered NEXT.

4) Move the car to that city within 15 days (this is what agent said me) and get it registered there.

5) With immediate effect the Mother-RTO to INITIATE CANCELLATION of RC book of TN Regn - Basically it means for those 2 weeks the car is a ORPHAN !!!

6) In CASE the RE-REGN DOES NOT take place in MUMBAI within the 15 days (or whatever period the NOC is VALID for) - the car cannot be regd both in Mumbai nor it is valid in TN - In that scenario - I have to RE-PRESENT the car in the Mother RTO and get it RE-REGD Paying Tax et all over again....!! sounds disturbing
Old 1st August 2012, 17:56   #763
jp1
BHPian

It is the Vat which is increased by 0.5 % from this month. I booked a Nano, the dealer said the price has gone up by around Rs 1.5k due to this increase from today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I bought a Pulsar 180 yesterday. Paid the amount last evening, will be getting the delivery tomorrow as the dealer will register it today.

He said Road Tax in Bangalore is going up by 5.5%. He said he will try and accomodate with the pre-rise tax rates, but if not possible then I will have to shell out another Rs. 600-700. I surfed the net but couldn't get any details regarding this rise.

Can anyone confirm this? Or am I getting fooled by the sales man?
jp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 18:49   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
sounds disturbing
i doubt if the given information is true.

indicative process is:
  1. you obtain an NOC from your current RTO, mentioning the re-registration RTO city/state.
  2. by issuing you the NOC, your registration details are moved into a separate database with the current RTO.
  3. you move the vehicle to the target city/state (no time limit applicable, typically six months is assumed).
  4. you apply for re-registration at the target city/state, and pay the road tax on depreciated vehicle (typically beginning from the date of issue of NOC).
  5. target city/state RTO accepts all these documents and sends a verification request to the original RTO.
  6. original RTO replies within a given time (15-30 days), and if no reply is received during that time period, target RTO completes the registration and issues new number/RC.
  7. upon receipt of this request from target RTO, the original RTO cancels the registration.
  8. if you do not re-register the vehicle in your new city/state, the vehicle is in opphan kinda state and you can not request duplicate RC/other documents from the original RTO unless you request the cancellation of the NOC that was issued.

Last edited by infotech58 : 1st August 2012 at 18:51.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 21:14   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I would say that any strategy of showing toll tickets etc are futile now. The traffic police department is maintaining a record of all no parking fines made or anything of that sort. So even if went out of bangalore, got toll tickets, got insurance done in say TN or KL, if they had a previous record of a no parking ticket etc, then it would be easy for them to trace that you have been in bangalore for quite some time.
Safe to get it registered in KA and no face any hassles later if you plan to be in bangalore for the longer term.
+1 to that.
Bangalore police are getting more high tech now. A friend of mine had been driving a KL regd car for quite some time . He got flagged down within the city limits for no reason whatsoever, the cops punched in his car number on the Blackberry, and told him there's a red light jumping offence in the car name which was captured on cam. Using that as the reference date, they told they will seize the car as it has been plying on the roads for more than an year w/o paying the road tax and asked hime to pay ~60k as tax plus fine.
He subsequently went to the police station the next day, with a lawyer in the hope that the fine could be written off. Much to his dismay, nothing worked out and he had to fork out that sum to get his car.
The cops are flagging down non KA vehicles all the time, and most of them end up paying bribes to get off the hook. The worst part is the police guys speak only in Kannada, thus making communication almost impossible for a non Kannada speaking person.

Last edited by mahesh.kolary : 1st August 2012 at 21:16.
Closed Thread