Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 1st August 2012, 22:35   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh.kolary

+1 to that.
Bangalore police are getting more high tech now. A friend of mine had been driving a KL regd car for quite some time . He got flagged down within the city limits for no reason whatsoever, the cops punched in his car number on the Blackberry, and told him there's a red light jumping offence in the car name which was captured on cam. Using that as the reference date, they told they will seize the car as it has been plying on the roads for more than an year w/o paying the road tax and asked hime to pay ~60k as tax plus fine.
He subsequently went to the police station the next day, with a lawyer in the hope that the fine could be written off. Much to his dismay, nothing worked out and he had to fork out that sum to get his car.
The cops are flagging down non KA vehicles all the time, and most of them end up paying bribes to get off the hook. The worst part is the police guys speak only in Kannada, thus making communication almost impossible for a non Kannada speaking person.
Is Traffic Police authorised to do this? As far as I know it is under the purview of RTO only. Once I was stopped by RTO, but seeing my pollution certificate which was just 3 months old, they didn't say anything.

What happens if the car comes and goes out often, say stays only not more than six months; with documents like PUC certificate from the origin state/city? The car might have been come to Bangalore some years back, but doesn't stay for more than six months continously.
Old 1st August 2012, 23:08   #767
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

I am surprised why in NCR, other state car are allowed to ply without much trouble.

On reason could be that NCR comprises of three different states Delhi, Haryana and UP, but then I see cars from other states driven comfortably .

Also cops here don't bother you much as long as you are abiding by rules. I am yet to be stopped by cop in 7 months of my driving.

Though I see bikers getting stopped much more frequently and that too from policemen dressed in khaki.
I smell something fishy here as I feel its done mostly to extract money from poor fellows.

Are they really authorized to do that, shouldn't traffic police in white uniform should be doing that?
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:59   #768
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

There is hardly any department left which has less corruption in Karnataka after 2008, administration is only for name sake in our state now and Bangalore traffic police is the most corrupt and probably tops the list. I have talked to people coming from other states and trying to pay the road tax in Karnataka, there is no standard process to determine the tax amount, once a friend of mine was trying to sell his 2004 Accent for 2 lakhs and he was told to pay a road tax of 55000,.
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:12   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I have talked to people coming from other states and trying to pay the road tax in Karnataka, there is no standard process to determine the tax amount, once a friend of mine was trying to sell his 2004 Accent for 2 lakhs and he was told to pay a road tax of 55000,.
I have paid tax for a car I bought from another state and in my case they did follow proper method of arriving at the amount, based the invoice value, applicable %tax rate for the CC of the engine and further applying the depreciation.
55000 for 2004 does appear correct (and one needs to pay it if the car needs to be registered in KA). What is unusual about this?
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:37   #770
Senior - BHPian

Which car you bought to Karnataka and how much amount you paid for getting it registered here?, my point is simple IDV value of the vehicle should be considered as the base price and calculate the applicable road tax because there is no mechanism to evaluate the price of a old car for paying road tax. My friend's Accent had a IDV of 1.7L something and 55k tax was 33% of the IDV, isnt this daylight robbery.
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:45   #771
BHPian

Quote:
There is hardly any department left which has less corruption in Karnataka after 2008, administration is only for name sake in our state now and Bangalore traffic police is the most corrupt and probably tops the list.

I am not qualified to make a genralisation for the whole of Bangalore police, be it on their corruption or on their effectivness. I had a very pleasant experience with a policeman a couple of weeks back when I was flagged down for riding. I was asked for docs and noc cuz I was riding an AP bike. In all my experience with the police, none of them have ever uttered a word of english/hindi/tamil, but to my surprise he was fluent in both hindi and tamil and conversed alternately in the,. I could thus make my point saying I have been riding the bike for less than a month(A blatant lie obviously!!) and would be re registering the bike in due course of time. He listened to me, n let me off without asking for 100, 200 as the usual case is.
I should point out that he was a youngster, ~ 30yrs and was quite polite unlike all the prev experiences I had when they would scream/abuse/threaten in Kannada, a language a large part of the crowd in B'lore don' t understand.
Maybe the police force would improve if they recruited more people like him who can convrese with the non kannada crowd and thus eliminating the language barrier.

Btw, I also noticed that its not like the police dont know any other language other than Kannada, its just that they take this opportunity to make life hell for us.
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:30   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh.kolary View Post
I could thus make my point saying I have been riding the bike for less than a month(A blatant lie obviously!!)

Maybe the police force would improve if they recruited more people like him who can convrese with the non kannada crowd and thus eliminating the language barrier.
Could you please elaborate how the police force would improve if they recruited people who are ineffective in enforcement and unable to call the bluff people are pulling on them?

Of course it would be nice for people breaking the law
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:36   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which car you bought to Karnataka and how much amount you paid for getting it registered here?, my point is simple IDV value of the vehicle should be considered as the base price and calculate the applicable road tax because there is no mechanism to evaluate the price of a old car for paying road tax. My friend's Accent had a IDV of 1.7L something and 55k tax was 33% of the IDV, isnt this daylight robbery.
I got Forester and I paid 3 times the amount you mentioned, because the invoice value is 2 times compared to Accent and the tax slab is 17% (it would be 12% for Accent) for cars above 2000 cc.
They do go by the original invoice value and calculate the depreciation based on 15 year life span of the car.
I should also mention that I drove the car for 1 year with the non KA registration but I was not stopped even once.

Last edited by Guna : 2nd August 2012 at 16:40.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:53   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat
Could you please elaborate how the police force would improve if they recruited people who are ineffective in enforcement
My question again; is Police authorised to check and take action on this? AFAIK, it is under the purview of RTO.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:00   #775
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
My question again; is Police authorised to check and take action on this? AFAIK, it is under the purview of RTO.
I believe the traffic police works in conjunction with the RTO on many matters.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:07   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
They do go by the original invoice value and calculate the depreciation based on 15 year life span of the car.
Did you find any difference in the value of car between RTO calculation and IDV mentioned in your Insurance?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd August 2012 at 17:46.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:12   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Traffic police are one of the law implementing authorities and hence can implement the rules. This was told by a Police commissioner in an interview to a local news channel with reference to Sun film removal verdict 2 months ago.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:17   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Did you find any difference in the value of car between RTO calculation and IDV mentioned in your Insurance?
IDV value was really low (probably 50% of the RTO figure) and I believe this is done to keep the insurance premium low.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:33   #779
Senior - BHPian

This is what I mentioned, IDV value is governed by standard depreciation rates fixed by GOI which are uniform through out the country, of course you can influence the IDV by paying more premium.
But what is the basis for RTO's calculation, what is the guidance value, this is where they mint money.
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:41   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat

Yes, but the onus is with RTO only, right? What I meant was that as a drive generally they dont (or cannot) flag down vehicles for checking registration alone. RTO does it in between.

Of course, they will definitely ask you about the registration if you have been stopped for any violation or such. Recently I had to report to Ulsoor police station as my KL car was hit by another KL car from behind. Occupied by all ladies team and driven by a girl, who had driven down to Bangalore for visiting relatives. Funnily enough they wanted compensation from me and hence I need to go to police stn. After reaching police station, it fizzled down and they settled for a report for insurance.

While writing the report for me, the cops asked me whether I have paid the tax here or not, my Kerala PUC had just expired; and I told them that my car doesn't stay continously here and I am working in real estate and do move between the states ( my card had those addresses too).

While leaving they were telling that if I am staying here continously, better change regn/ pay tax & if RTO checks they will ask to pay tax.

Anyway I have booked a Skoda Rapid here, waiting for delivery by mid Aug. I think the tax difference with Kerala is almost One lakh.

Last edited by sudheeshnairs : 2nd August 2012 at 17:48.
Closed Thread