Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd December 2012, 20:59   #796
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

I do not understand why cant the other state govt transfers the amount to the new state. Why is the common man getting punished for govt's inefficiencies. The difference amount can be paid by the owner of the car.
vinit_relan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 00:11   #797
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Bhpians,

Need a piece of info from you on the following

I got a new Swift delivered from Kerala last week. I got the temporary registration done from there and brought the car to Bangalore to register it here. I took the car to Indiranagar RTO office, made a dd payment of Rs.98643/- towards road tax and paid a couple of thousands to the agent towards the registration charges and his commission. I colleceted the tax payment reciept and took the car for inspection the next day. After the vehicle inspection the agent told me that he will call me back in the evening and tell me what the car number would be and when I can collect the RC.

He called me in the evening and demanded Rs.2000 more and told me if I am not willing to pay I will have to wait for another week to get the registration done(yes, this is the same evening after the vehicle inspection). I was surprised and asked him what this payment would be for. He says as my vehicle's temporary registration is from Kerala, the RTO officer will have to get an official confirmation from the Kerala RTO that the registration is genuine (I was surprised to hear from the agent that the temporary registration certificate from Kerala RTO is not official enough!!!) and if I am willing to pay the extra amount they will get it done faster.

My question is, if I buy a car from a dealership outside the state and want to get it registered in Bangalore, is any other official confirmation required from the RTO than the temporary registration certificate?
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:48   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind511 View Post
Bhpians,

I got a new Swift delivered from Kerala last week. I got the temporary registration done from there and brought the car to Bangalore to register it here. I took the car to Indiranagar RTO office, made a dd payment of Rs.98643/- towards road tax and paid a couple of thousands to the agent towards the registration charges and his commission. I colleceted the tax payment reciept and took the car for inspection the next day. After the vehicle inspection the agent told me that he will call me back in the evening and tell me what the car number would be and when I can collect the RC.

He called me in the evening and demanded Rs.2000 more and told me if I am not willing to pay I will have to wait for another week to get the registration done(yes, this is the same evening after the vehicle inspection). I was surprised and asked him what this payment would be for. He says as my vehicle's temporary registration is from Kerala, the RTO officer will have to get an official confirmation from the Kerala RTO that the registration is genuine (I was surprised to hear from the agent that the temporary registration certificate from Kerala RTO is not official enough!!!) and if I am willing to pay the extra amount they will get it done faster.

My question is, if I buy a car from a dealership outside the state and want to get it registered in Bangalore, is any other official confirmation required from the RTO than the temporary registration certificate?
Sir ,

Re registration procedure of a temp or permanent RC is same. RTO needs a official communication from the host state.

Paying extra money cant be commented. If i would have been, at your place, would have done directly.

Quotes what agents gives, mostly are hyped and non existent which goes to his pocket only, but claims in the name of RTO.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:57   #799
Team-BHP Support

At best, go to AASI who will take you through process
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 00:18   #800
BHPian

Ridiculously enough, brand new goods carrier trucks pay a paltry 10-20k as life time road tax in Karnataka. http://rto.kar.nic.in/KMVTA%202010.pdf

So - those who contribute to maximum road deterioration, occupy maximum road space and above all - buy vehicles to make money on them - pay the least tax!

Those who buy a car for their own use and lose money on them -pay the most tax!

By the way, off late I have been hearing from alot of people - that they no longer need to pay KA road tax for long term use of cars from other states. Is this true?

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th May 2013 at 02:36. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 12:17   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind511 View Post
Bhpians,

I got a new Swift delivered from Kerala last week. I got the temporary registration done from there and brought the car to Bangalore to register it here. ....
Doesn't Karnataka have something called an entry tax ?

Maybe , but I am shortly moving from Pune to Chennai and was thinking of the same. Buying the car on temp registration in Pune and registering it in Chennai. I came across some points talking about this entry tax in KA & TN and hence dropped my plans. Do you have any info on this ?
Old 14th May 2013, 12:46   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

Maybe , but I am shortly moving from Pune to Chennai and was thinking of the same. Buying the car on temp registration in Pune and registering it in Chennai. I came across some points talking about this entry tax in KA & TN and hence dropped my plans. Do you have any info on this ?
I don't think there is anything called entry tax for private vehicles. I got my car on temporary registration to bangalore and got it registered here. As it is evident I did not pay the road tax in kerala but in karnataka which is nearly 9% more. Only thing is that you need to inform the showroom guys that you plan to get it registered in so and so RTO such that they can mention the RTO office name in the temporary registration.

I got it done in November 2012 and am not aware of any change in rules after that. But i really dont think you will be facing any issues.
Old 6th June 2013, 19:13   #803
BHPian

Check this out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3141910 (Soon, uniform road tax of 6% across all states) time for us people from karnataka to rejoice?
Old 13th June 2013, 10:57   #804
BHPian

The RTO guys seem to starting their campaign in full force again. They have been camped out below Krystal Beryl Apartment on Bannerghatta Road in the mornings for the past few days and flagging down all outstation vehicles.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:06   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

KA & KL have done away with entry tax. It's applicable in TN. But as with everything else, you are expected to pay a bribe and get away with paying some 3 or 4k as entry tax instead of 30k or so.
Old 13th June 2013, 17:43   #806
BHPian

I am thinking of getting my 2011 Ritz car VXI Genus to Bangalore,Karnataka from Ranchi,Jharkhand.
Should i pay up the taxes or wait for the cops to catch up.
How about getting a PUC Certificate getting done from Ranchi every 6 months and then getting it couriered.Any pointers/suggestion will be much appreciated.
Also, approximate road tax amount that i may have to shell.
Old 13th June 2013, 19:26   #807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
I am thinking of getting my 2011 Ritz car VXI Genus to Bangalore,Karnataka from Ranchi,Jharkhand.
How about getting a PUC Certificate getting done from Ranchi every 6 months and then getting it couriered.Any pointers/suggestion will be much appreciated.
I was in the same situation. But peace of mind is more important than the money IMHO. So bought a new car in Bangalore and left my car back home.

Also, as far as I know, there is no problem in using your vehicle for a year in Karnataka, after that you need to pay the Road taxes. So, I think you can wait and watch.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2013, 21:36   #808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post

Also, as far as I know, there is no problem in using your vehicle for a year in Karnataka, after that you need to pay the Road taxes. So, I think you can wait and watch.
Thanks for the suggestion.But i cant leave the car over there as there is noone to drive it.I will get it, ride it for a year and then pay up the taxes.
Old 13th June 2013, 22:35   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
KA & KL have done away with entry tax. It's applicable in TN. But as with everything else, you are expected to pay a bribe and get away with paying some 3 or 4k as entry tax instead of 30k or so.
But if you purchase a car in KA, where the taxes are higher, and bring it to TN where the taxes are lower, would the entry tax still need to be paid? I assume that the entry tax is a net off against whatever is paid in the state of purchase (as against state of registration). Especially if it is a new car and road tax registrations haven;t happened as yet.
Old 14th June 2013, 04:43   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Does the car not require to be present in order to get the PUC certificate? Or is it because it is the 'United and Autonomous States of Ranchi', that you can have it done ' in absentia ' so to say? Jokes apart, as a responsible forum member and citizen, I don't think you should even be suggesting what you've suggested above.
If you plan to migrate to another state along with your car, then I suggest you be prepared to follow the rules in that state. Else, you will have to just sell your car in your home state and buy another one in the state you migrate to.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 14th June 2013 at 04:51.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread