Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 18:50   #811
BHPian
 
InControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 249
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Does the car not require to be present in order to get the PUC certificate? Or is it because it is the 'United and Autonomous States of Ranchi', that you can have it done ' in absentia ' so to say? Jokes apart, as a responsible forum member and citizen, I don't think you should even be suggesting what you've suggested above.
If you plan to migrate to another state along with your car, then I suggest you be prepared to follow the rules in that state. Else, you will have to just sell your car in your home state and buy another one in the state you migrate to.
Sir, I will be getting the PUC check done now at ranchi before getting it here to bangalore and then give it a thought after 6 months as to what has to be done if I decide to keep the car here.I have approached a broker at yesvantpur RTO and he is quoting 60k .Regarding PUC check even if I get it couriered from Ranchi to prove my car being here for less than 6 months i will ensure it gets a PUC check here as well and is in top shape.

Last edited by InControl : 14th June 2013 at 18:51. Reason: removed an extra smiley
InControl is offline  
Old 14th June 2013, 19:19   #812
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

One neednot pay road tax/entry tax etc if one stays for a period of less than one year in the state, this includes the great state of Karnataka, no matter which official feels what.
Any proof of entry (a letter from your company, a rent/lease agreement) should suffice in proving the tenure of your stay in that state.
Have your complete original car documents with you when out of state. Colored photocopies or attested copies may not do.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 19:19   #813
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Regarding PUC check even if I get it couriered from Ranchi to prove my car being here for less than 6 months i will ensure it gets a PUC check here as well and is in top shape.
Please don't do that. I understand that Karnataka is tax heavy, however, it is not appropriate to indulge in such a thing. You should probably take courage in the fact that so many people here pay the tax and if it is that inconvenient for you to pay tax, you may please take Volvo city bus, or taxis for the required time.
PNTLovesNano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 19:53   #814
BHPian
 
InControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 249
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTLovesNano View Post
Please don't do that. I understand that Karnataka is tax heavy, however, it is not appropriate to indulge in such a thing. You should probably take courage in the fact that so many people here pay the tax and if it is that inconvenient for you to pay tax, you may please take Volvo city bus, or taxis for the required time.
Okay saving up 60k in 6 months now . Alloys and ICE install on the backburner.
Thank you for the responses.

By the way, having done my engineering over here, i have owned two 2 wheelers in the past in Bangalore and have paid the taxes according to the law.Its only that i dont trust my Ranchi RTO to refund my tax amount hence surrendered to the fact that will have to pay double the tax.
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 19:55   #815
BHPian
 
InControl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 249
Thanked: 156 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
One neednot pay road tax/entry tax etc if one stays for a period of less than one year in the state, this includes the great state of Karnataka, .
I will be getting my car through a Car carriage so i will be having that receipt.
Are you sure about the one year thing.All my friends tell me that it is 6 months only
InControl is offline  
Old 14th June 2013, 20:02   #816
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
I will be getting my car through a Car carriage so i will be having that receipt.
Are you sure about the one year thing.All my friends tell me that it is 6 months only
Yes, I am sure, I drove my car (MH04) registration in Bangalore for around 11 months, and on two occasions when I was stopped, I proved that I was in the city for less than one year, and I was told to go.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 20:13   #817
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,326 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InControl View Post
Sir, I will be getting the PUC check done now at ranchi before getting it here to bangalore and then give it a thought after 6 months as to what has to be done if I decide to keep the car here.I have approached a broker at yesvantpur RTO and he is quoting 60k .Regarding PUC check even if I get it couriered from Ranchi to prove my car being here for less than 6 months i will ensure it gets a PUC check here as well and is in top shape.
Mate. Its a hard world. Especially this Karnataka Tax.
Normally while migrating across states its a good idea to sell the car and buy another here. Else you will just have to pay the local tax.
It is very unfair on consumers. It is almost as if this is not one nation after all, the kind of absolute powers wielded by these stupid states. At least if they did their jobs properly they can be forgiven. As it is, we pay such huge taxes and still dont even get proper acceptable roads to drive on!
It might sound unpatriotic, but I really hate this state and this country at this moment,for the injustices meted out to the tax paying citizen.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 20:25   #818
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 303
Thanked: 360 Times
Thumbs down Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Mate. Its a hard world. Especially this Karnataka Tax.
Normally while migrating across states its a good idea to sell the car and buy another here. Else you will just have to pay the local tax.
It is very unfair on consumers. It is almost as if this is not one nation after all, the kind of absolute powers wielded by these stupid states. At least if they did their jobs properly they can be forgiven. As it is, we pay such huge taxes and still dont even get proper acceptable roads to drive on!
It might sound unpatriotic, but I really hate this state and this country at this moment,for the injustices meted out to the tax paying citizen.
When I was in Bangalore last week I also felt the same. To tell you I felt that the government should instead of collecting taxes take care of our cars and us because these roads are causing significant damage (to both the car and their occupants). Had we left the roads to nature perhaps nature would have given us better motor ways.

When I came back to Kerala last Sunday I felt I have come back to much more civilized world even though roads are generally narrower here. But the road surface quality comparatively is great and those deadly speed breakers are absent which makes driving in Kerala a much better experience.
mroptimist is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 23:16   #819
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Yes, I am sure, I drove my car (MH04) registration in Bangalore for around 11 months, and on two occasions when I was stopped, I proved that I was in the city for less than one year, and I was told to go.
How did you prove? Did you show any document?
rammkp is offline  
Old 16th June 2013, 00:10   #820
Distinguished - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,334
Thanked: 4,226 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammkp View Post
How did you prove? Did you show any document?
Couple of ways to proves is to show the toll receipts payed while going out of state and coming back. Another way is to show the fuel bills payed in the state where the car was registered.
arun_josie is online now  
Old 16th June 2013, 07:37   #821
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,004
Thanked: 2,025 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammkp View Post
How did you prove? Did you show any document?
I had a letter from my company stating that I have been transferred to Bangalore from xyz date, I had bills showing I had transported household goods from Mumbai to Bangalore and I had fuel slips and toll reciepts showing my drive from Mumbai to Bangalore. This much was enough
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:20   #822
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KL-CHN-BLR
Posts: 220
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Guess the hunt is on again for Non KA vehicles -

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20868575.cms
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 13:46   #823
BHPian
 
Viju's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Narita
Posts: 866
Thanked: 1,633 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Finally, after a wait of 7 months and 700 calls to the RTO agent, will be getting the KA01 plates fitted on my Ritzy today and throwing away the HR26 plates for good.

It has been a long, painful, expensive process, but worth it, since the car is just 24000km / less than 3 years old and more importantly, I love her too much to let her go!!
Viju is offline  
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:07   #824
BHPian
 
PetrolRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: BBSR/Pune
Posts: 267
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

The TOI article says about Road tax and also change in registration.
Quote:
It's time to get the registration of your vehicle changed if you are from another state. From July second week, the transport department will commence a campaign against vehicles registered outside Karnataka and will issue demand notice for the road tax due from them.
As far as I know both are different things and if a vehicle is in a state other than registered one for more than one year, then only road tax needs to be paid and change of registration is not required. Correct me if I am wrong.

Again,
Quote:
The intensive checks on vehicles from outside the state and slapping of fine or road tax due from them will be done only after checking documents like the insurance, pollution under control certificates and other credentials that will prove that the vehicle had been in the state for more than one year
And how they are going to prove from insurance or pollution certificate ?
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2013, 14:39   #825
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KL-CHN-BLR
Posts: 220
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Finally, after a wait of 7 months and 700 calls to the RTO agent, will be getting the KA01 plates fitted on my Ritzy today and throwing away the HR26 plates for good.

It has been a long, painful, expensive process, but worth it, since the car is just 24000km / less than 3 years old and more importantly, I love her too much to let her go!!
Did you get the refund from your earlier RTO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
The TOI article says about Road tax and also change in registration.
As far as I know both are different things and if a vehicle is in a state other than registered one for more than one year, then only road tax needs to be paid and change of registration is not required. Correct me if I am wrong.

Again,
And how they are going to prove from insurance or pollution certificate ?
I think after you pay the road tax, you would need to change the plates within a specified time frame. Not sure though.

I heard that if you do a pollution check in Karnataka, RTO can access the database. This would prove you where in Karnataka. No idea, how they can prove using insurance.
aajohn is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax on Tax? Road tax should be calculated on ex-factory price (not ex-showroom)! SILVERWOOD The Indian Car Scene 88 30th July 2017 12:39
NGT bans 10+ year old diesel vehicles in Kerala. EDIT: High Court stays ban darklord The Indian Car Scene 284 25th March 2017 21:41
Diesel Cars: Down, down, down! Market share = 34% S2!!! The Indian Car Scene 66 2nd June 2016 16:21
Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement man_and_machine The Indian Car Scene 661 16th October 2012 23:14
High Court lifts double tax on imported cars nikapur The Indian Car Scene 7 14th February 2011 14:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:55.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks