Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2013, 14:44   #841
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Yes, I am sure, I drove my car (MH04) registration in Bangalore for around 11 months, and on two occasions when I was stopped, I proved that I was in the city for less than one year, and I was told to go.
You are lucky.

My friend purchased a second hand vehicle from kerala, finished the transfer formalities and took the car to bangalore within 2 days of purchasing. He took a driver along with him.

After reaching bangalore, he took a vehicle to drop the driver to railway station. He was caught by the police and started telling about out of state vehicle. He started explaining by showing the original documents to prove that he just reached the city. But argument went to deaf ears. Reason - bribe. The policeman want money, when he got that, he left happily.
Old 9th July 2013, 14:45   #842
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

If I buy car from another state-city like Chennai or Hyberabad, where the resale value is much lower than Bangalore.

What is the procedure for Registration/Transfer of Ownership?

Can i do registration/transfer of ownership in other state. Run it in KA. Every 6 months go to nearest TN/AP petrol pump and get PUC and fuels bills as proof of being in KA for less than 6 months?
Old 9th July 2013, 14:58   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post
If I buy car from another state-city like Chennai or Hyberabad, where the resale value is much lower than Bangalore.

Can i do registration/transfer of ownership in other state. Run it in KA. Every 6 months go to nearest TN/AP petrol pump and get PUC and fuels bills as proof of being in KA for less than 6 months?
By doing this you are breaking two laws. One is falsifying the residencial status in the state you do not belong to and two driving a car long term in a state that it is not registered in. As a responsible citizen refrain from doing any illegal activity.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 15:15   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devrajman View Post

If you regularly travel to Chennai or Hyderabad, you could show the toll receipts as proof. IMO PUC or Fuel bills as proof may not suffice.

Do neighboring states come under the scanner? my understanding is vehicles registered in TN or AP don't have to pay road tax in KA.
Old 9th July 2013, 15:20   #845
Team-BHP Support

Guys, cops regularly note down the numbers of vehicles from neighboring states which are playing the roads of Bangalore. Although there is no immediate action, the time you are pulled up, they just need to access the records to check the last time this vehicle was spotted in Bangalore. It increases the chances of being caught, as well as making it more difficult to evade the tax.
benbsb29 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 16:19   #846
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Guys, cops regularly note down the numbers of vehicles from neighboring states which are playing the roads of Bangalore. Although there is no immediate action, the time you are pulled up, they just need to access the records to check the last time this vehicle was spotted in Bangalore. It increases the chances of being caught, as well as making it more difficult to evade the tax.
Even if you give the excuse that you drive to Bangalore once a week, you will need to give ample proof and justification that you actually do. Examples - does the mileage of the car co-relate, do you have toll receipts of your various journeys.

They will look at various clues:
  • If the car is squeaky clean and does not look as though it has been on a long journey.
  • Club/ Building stickers
  • The chauffeur is local
  • Service bills

These are just a few examples
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2013, 17:28   #847
BHPian

After driving a TN registered car for last 4 years, I had changed to a KA registered car now. Though I drive to my home in TN twice or more in a month and carry all toll receipts, fuel and service bills, I had never driven the car peacefully inside KA.
All the time something will be going at the back of my head like what should I do if I am enquired by RTO and what should I do if I had a accident or some other unusual things.
One main thing for not changing my car was, I couldn't sell my first car that easily because of a sentiment attached to it. Now it is with my BIL in TN, Certainly in a safe hand. Bought a car in Bangalore recently.
Somehow I feel relieved and drive the car peacefully inside KA.

Last edited by BulZire : 9th July 2013 at 17:33.
Old 9th July 2013, 17:37   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambadan View Post

You are lucky.

My friend purchased a second hand vehicle from kerala, finished the transfer formalities and took the car to bangalore within 2 days of purchasing. He took a driver along with him.

After reaching bangalore, he took a vehicle to drop the driver to railway station. He was caught by the police and started telling about out of state vehicle. He started explaining by showing the original documents to prove that he just reached the city. But argument went to deaf ears. Reason - bribe. The policeman want money, when he got that, he left happily.
Sorry boss,except RTO , no one can demand LTT.Your friend paid for his ignorance
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 14:31   #849
Distinguished - BHPian

Any update on the supposed crackdown on non KA vehicles ? Its more than a week after the deadline as mentioned in the article shared in previous page and I have not seen checking anywhere.
Old 16th July 2013, 15:08   #850
BHPian

With mobility in vehicle owing population on rise, it is difficult for the common man to pay road tax in every state he is going to settle. An average professional would probably shift at least 2 to 3 states in a span of 15 to 17 years and this means he shells out quite a bit of money
Having said that what prevents governments to do away with lifetime tax and club it with vehicle insurance for in city vehicles and for outstation vehicles add an entry tax. This is going to inconvenience the public as they move into the new state, but beats paying a hefty sum at the beginning.

It also helps keep track of incoming vehicles into the city which can therefore help authorities plan entry/exit points.
It also benefits the government by its ability to earn more and at some point of time get into a Singapore mode of operating
Thirdly, it helps curb pseudo sale of motor vehicles in the long run

Thoughts ?
Old 16th July 2013, 16:37   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
With mobility in vehicle owing population on rise, it is difficult for the common man to pay road tax in every state he is going to settle. An average professional would probably shift at least 2 to 3 states in a span of 15 to 17 years and this means he shells out quite a bit of money
Having said that what prevents governments to do away with lifetime tax and club it with vehicle insurance for in city vehicles and for outstation vehicles add an entry tax. This is going to inconvenience the public as they move into the new state, but beats paying a hefty sum at the beginning.

It also helps keep track of incoming vehicles into the city which can therefore help authorities plan entry/exit points.
It also benefits the government by its ability to earn more and at some point of time get into a Singapore mode of operating
Thirdly, it helps curb pseudo sale of motor vehicles in the long run

Thoughts ?
If I am not mistaken, there is a (laborious) procedure to re-claim the proportionate part of Road Tax from the previous state of residence when (/after?) paying Road Tax in the new state of residence.

Otherwise, one will end up paying Road Tax in all the states he/she re-locates to!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 16th July 2013 at 16:46.
Old 16th July 2013, 16:49   #852
Senior - BHPian

My parents spend around half the year with us in Bangalore.

They drive a TN Regd car. Since my Dad is a Senior with lots of white hair, they generally dont irritate him. Plus he is an extremely polite bloke so I guess they understand that he is not the type to lie and attempt to wriggle out of things.

Whatever it is, it can really be a pain for genuine out of state people - the way things are in KA, I mean, from my folks point of view it is almost as if visiting their son is a criminal offence or something! Ridiculous!

All this Parochial "State" led nonsense should be abolished. It is about time we started behaving like a Single Nation, which is really what we are supposed to be or am I missing something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Even if you give the excuse that you drive to Bangalore once a week, you will need to give ample proof and justification that you actually do. Examples - does the mileage of the car co-relate, do you have toll receipts of your various journeys.

They will look at various clues:
  • If the car is squeaky clean and does not look as though it has been on a long journey.
  • Club/ Building stickers
  • The chauffeur is local
  • Service bills

These are just a few examples
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2013, 07:19   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Whatever it is, it can really be a pain for genuine out of state people - the way things are in KA, I mean, from my folks point of view it is almost as if visiting their son is a criminal offence or something! Ridiculous!
I don't see it restricted to KA. When I visit TN OR AP (mostly vellore) , I do get stopped by cops on seeing my KA registered vehicle for quick questioning. I concur it's a little sad to be seen different in different states, though all belong to same country. With the way our country is led, I see the regional /state politics becoming more stronger, and thereby divide us even further.
Anyways, going by current rule of land, you should have your parents pay up road tax in KA to avoid getting bugged. 6 months isn't a short time frame in anycase.
Old 17th July 2013, 15:59   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Anyways, going by current rule of land, you should have your parents pay up road tax in KA to avoid getting bugged. 6 months isn't a short time frame in anycase.
Why? Which rule says that they need to? As far as I know, one does not need to unless one is a resident, or "visiting" for greater than 12 months.

This unnatural desire to harass people for road tax seems to be a southern fetish, with Karnataka deserving particular mention. I never heard of anyone being stopped and asked for payment of road tax when driving an out of state vehicle when I was in Delhi, UP or Haryana. Been stopped once in Pune though.

Ps. What does the law say if one has a residence in, say, Pondicherry as well as Karnataka? I would assume that one doesn't have to pay tax in both locations, an this is what a lot of the owners of expensive, PY registered vehicles use to wriggle out of paying road tax in Karnataka.
Old 17th July 2013, 18:39   #855
BHPian

Frankly. This looks like a combination of hilarious and disgusting.

We have not seen this in any of the Northern states. I lived in Himachal for 4 years with a Haryana number car and now am in Delhi.

Lakhs of vehicles cross-over into Delhi/ UP/ Haryana/ Rajasthan from neighbouring states every day. Implementing such an archaic rule would be impossible.

The best way is for all states to rationalize the registration tax to a single formula so that the tax arbitrage is eliminated completely and residents are motivated to get the car registered in home domicile.
Closed Thread