Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th December 2013, 14:00   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

It's time the LTT system is done away with, or at least made optional, supplemented with short-term options (annual & semi-annual), so that everyone has the freedom to move across the country without either having to constantly buy/sell vehicles or trying to break the law by not paying tax on roads they use (whose existence is irrelevant to the current discussion, before someone points me to Bangalore's moonscapes).

It's the age of the mobile vehicle owner and local immigration is here to stay. Taxation laws need to catch up with the times, not the other way around.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 14:07   #902
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

In my opinion the road tax must be a part of Income Tax and a uniform rate must be arrived at (depending upon the no of vehicles that we posses or the type of vehicle etc.). This should be irrespective of the Income Tax slab that we fall in.
Old 9th December 2013, 14:28   #903
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Why should the government differentiate between the government and private sector employees. If GOI employees need not pay tax when they move state, the private sector too should be exempt.

My suggestion to end this problem would be to
  1. Have uniform road tax across all States
  2. States should be allowed to charge additional road tax as a surcharge on fuel. Hence more you use the road and burn fuel, more tax you pay
  3. One should be able to retain the same number but allow for change of address

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 15:23   #904
BHPian

Surprising to see RTOs enter apartment complexes. And if you notice,the date on the notice is 8th Dec - A Sunday!

Any one has any update on this proposal - http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx?relid=100216

Gut feel says this might not even see the light of day

Last edited by aajohn : 9th December 2013 at 15:26.
Old 9th December 2013, 15:29   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

Usually Jan - April months are when you come across maximum tax drive by RTO's. That usually is associated with yearly target achievement.
Is the tax collection in KA so low this year that they started it off in Dec itself. That too with this innovative step.
Old 9th December 2013, 15:32   #906
Distinguished - BHPian

Particularly liked 2 of the previous suggestions.

1. Let the governments deal with the tax transfers among them. They can expect the person to submit a form with fees stating that they have moved into a new state and they can have the taxes transferred at the back end. I am sure the government machinery will figure out efficient systems once this is implemented.

Vehicle owners can pay the differential amount or receive it while submitting the form to the RTO for transfer.

2. Have uniform taxes all over and take additional cost from the fuel bills. This will be apt as it will also help people save on unnecessary drives and will be taxed based on the usage and may help save fuel too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ideally, there should be provision of paying 1 year tax. So if you move frequently, you do not have to keep paying taxes here and there.
Atleast in Karnataka, Central Govt employees can pay a yearly taxes. When I asked my SA for the reason, she said it's because they are likely to get transferred. From my experience, it's the software engineers who are subjected to more transfers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
RTO has started to enter housing complexes and paste notices on cars, with out-of-state registration, asking them to pay the Karnataka road tax. As long as car remains in the compound, they cannot seize it. Once it comes on the road, it will be a different story.

Attachment 1176391

Curiously, they say that no NOC is required. If you do not have NOC , you cannot get a refund of the road tax when you move out of the state.
If I have my car there and use it ONLY for interstate travels, and use my office cabs for daily travel or my bike for intra city runs, why am I subjected to this torture again? These guys need to think and bring up innovative ideas which actually lure people to voluntarily make the payment. It's so sad to see no one taking such steps and they use their power to enforce such things.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th December 2013 at 15:37.
Old 10th December 2013, 08:09   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
These guys need to think and bring up innovative ideas which actually lure people to voluntarily make the payment. It's so sad to see no one taking such steps and they use their power to enforce such things.
I believe the biggest bottleneck in the minds of most folks would be the reimbursement from the old RTO. If this process was made easier, I think that some folks would at least come up voluntarily.

Even in this notice that the RTO has issued, they are keen to collect the tax and are ready to waive off the No Objection Certificate. Though not in their direct control, I wish they would also be keen to support in the reimbursement as well
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 08:34   #908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
A guy in my friends apartment drives a Pondicherry registered vento but instead of using the Pondicherry plates he has replaced it with KA registration plates that he made at a local shop. He's been doing this for about a year according to my friend, he's never been stopped and checked.

How can the cops stop this kind of anarchy?
I would love to tell on such smart guys... If you would like plz share details here or PM, the rest will fall in place.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2013, 11:30   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
A guy in my friends apartment drives a Pondicherry registered vento but instead of using the Pondicherry plates he has replaced it with KA registration plates that he made at a local shop. He's been doing this for about a year according to my friend, he's never been stopped and checked.

How can the cops stop this kind of anarchy?
This is clearly a criminal offence and this wise guy must be punished. If he is using fake registration plates, I am sure it may belong to some genuine user! Put an alert on BTP FB page, the rest will be taken care of!
Old 13th December 2013, 11:28   #910
Senior - BHPian

Stay away from Kadugodi Bridge. RTO is in full swing right now.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 12:33   #911
BHPian

RTO guys are at it again - Electronics City, Phase 1 entrance near HP office.

And they were not bothered that traffic was piling up because they parked in the No Parking Zone! and add to that the gawkers who slow down to see the drama.
mac187 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 14:40   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Stay away from Kadugodi Bridge. RTO is in full swing right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
RTO guys are at it again - Electronics City, Phase 1 entrance near HP office.
Would you be able to tell us if it was it targeted at Non KA vehicles or just random checking?
aajohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 16:43   #913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Would you be able to tell us if it was it targeted at Non KA vehicles or just random checking?
The areas they have been active are those which will have a huge influx of migrant population driving to work. That means there will be maximum vehicles with registration numbers other than KA and hence becomes easy for RTOs catch their prey primarily in the IT corridors.

I am sure this exercise by RTO is only for checking non payment of KA Road taxes and nothing else. If they had to focus on truckers, I don't think they would bother to stop at the entrance of EC.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th December 2013 at 16:54.
Old 13th December 2013, 17:04   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
This is clearly a criminal offence and this wise guy must be punished. If he is using fake registration plates, I am sure it may belong to some genuine user! Put an alert on BTP FB page, the rest will be taken care of!
Is there a possibility that the Pondy Car guy could have actually paid the Road tax and got a new KA reg. No.. After all the ruckus raised by the RTO, definitely there will be many outstation car owners who would have complied?
Old 13th December 2013, 17:22   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Why should the government differentiate between the government and private sector employees. If GOI employees need not pay tax when they move state, the private sector too should be exempt.

My suggestion to end this problem would be to
  1. Have uniform road tax across all States
  2. States should be allowed to charge additional road tax as a surcharge on fuel. Hence more you use the road and burn fuel, more tax you pay
  3. One should be able to retain the same number but allow for change of address
Cheers
KPS
Rate of Road tax can be made uniform but allowing retaining the same number for eternity in another state has legal implications and hence impractical
Closed Thread