Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th December 2013, 18:27   #916
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Would you be able to tell us if it was it targeted at Non KA vehicles or just random checking?
It is the usual spot for them- just near the HP foot bridge. It is usually a Bolero and 2 or 3 khaki clad 'executives'.

The Central Government is sending tax notices flying; flying squads to collect road taxes; seems our Governments are keen to fill the coffers for funding populist schemes!

On another note, the speed gun Trax at Singasandra is also back, so make sure the needle is hovering around 60 kmph or less.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 19:28   #917
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkamath View Post
Is there a possibility that the Pondy Car guy could have actually paid the Road tax and got a new KA reg. No.. After all the ruckus raised by the RTO, definitely there will be many outstation car owners who would have complied?
Neither of us can confirm that! Having said that let's not kid ourselves, for a fact we know that there are a host of non KA cars running on the roads (nothing wrong in that) however if not all, most of them would have not even have taken the trouble of doing the right thing by paying the tax or re registering.

As an example if a person decides to make KA his home for the next 3 years and gets his car here, he will have to pay approximately 10 to 15% of the cost of the car as tax and more for registration. This could be anywhere upwards 25 to 30K. It also depends on the car and its cost! I am certain not many would find it lucrative to pay that money for just 3 years of stay here. Instead they would take their chances and run the car. In case they get caught they would do the usual and get away which would be lucrative than coughing up 30K.

This is what I say is wrong! both from the individual and the RTO. There has to be a either a neutral ground OR impose a tax structure which will cover the entire country. On a brighter side at least corruption and bribes will come down.

Last edited by sumathindra : 13th December 2013 at 19:30. Reason: edits
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 20:24   #918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
RTO guys are at it again - Electronics City, Phase 1 entrance near HP office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
It is the usual spot for them- just near the HP foot bridge. It is usually a Bolero and 2 or 3 khaki clad 'executives'.

What time does this check usually take place in E City? I drive to E City everyday and have not seen them. I usually cross that stretch by 9 AM and return post 7 !
Old 13th December 2013, 21:07   #919
Senior - BHPian

Would possessing recent Fuel bills, tool receipts and PUC from the neighboring state, assuming that the vehicle is registered in the same neighboring state, be of any help to prove that the vehicle has entered Bangalore or KA only recently?
Old 13th December 2013, 21:54   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

One of my friend who has a MH registered alto was stopped by RTO last week on Bannerghatta Road, near gottigere. He paid Rs.500 and they let him off.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2013, 22:26   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
One of my friend who has a MH registered alto was stopped by RTO last week on Bannerghatta Road, near gottigere. He paid Rs.500 and they let him off.
I drove a MH registered car in Bangalore for 3 years but fortunately never faced an issue. It's very sad that such day light robbery is being done by KA RTO officials.
Old 14th December 2013, 01:08   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post

Would possessing recent Fuel bills, toll receipts and PUC from the neighboring state, assuming that the vehicle is registered in the same neighboring state, be of any help to prove that the vehicle has entered Bangalore or KA only recently?
In addition to the above, an out of state driving license should be of great help.
Old 14th December 2013, 09:47   #923
BHPian

Are they targeting only indian IT MNC employees this time? Main hunt is near electronics city. Did anyone see them at any other place? Other favorite spots for RTO were near KR pura railway station. Surjapur fire station. Inner ring road Koramangala BDA complex and one more in white field. One more tip which may help. Dont paste the vehicle parking sticker of apartment/company instead keep them inside. Most of the time securities wont ask for this. even of they are asking show the stickers. And if it is mandatory, apply for a new one which have the latest date to show that you came recently
Old 14th December 2013, 11:07   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
It's very sad that such day light robbery is being done by KA RTO officials.
Can we avoid this unwarranted tirade? After all, they are only doing their duty.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 12:20   #925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
There has to be a either a neutral ground OR impose a tax structure which will cover the entire country. On a brighter side at least corruption and bribes will come down.

Absolutely. It is about time we had a single Tax for vehicles across India rather than allowing the states to decide.
It is about time we recognized that inter-state migration is an essential part of life for a growing, young, professional set of people, all of whom are taxed ruthlessly at source and indeed, who have greater rights to live and enjoy Free India because they pay their taxes, rather than the bunch of scumbag aged decrepit politicos and bureaucrats who are pontificating, doing nothing and still milking money from the nation.
We need to start behaving like a unified nation of people rather than behaving like a bunch of halfwitted regionalized, bigoted parochialists like we are right now!
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 13:10   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can we avoid this unwarranted tirade? After all, they are only doing their duty.
I wouldn't call targeting only the IT professionals by standing bait in front of office entrances, doing their duty.

Doing their duty is when they do not pass FC for those creaky old vehicles with retreaded tyres and pest control equipment in their exhaust system, by declining whatever they are offered under the table. And so on.

IMO, this exercise is just to make quick bucks from the random IT guy, without even having any proof that the vehicle has been plying within KA limits for more than 11 months.

They do nothing productive to improve road/traffic conditions, while at it.
DRIV3R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 17:15   #927
BHPian

Quote:
My apologies if I ended up offending you, it was not intentional. Cheers man!
abhjain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2013, 14:05   #928
Senior - BHPian

Spotted these guys just after HSR Agara flyover, just before the IOCL pump.

The same Bolero with RTO stickers on rear windshield, and the khaki clad guy flagging down vehicles. They had stopped couple of lorries and a beige TN registered Getz and another car which am unable to recollect, I was driving a TN registered Punto (Friend's which had entered KA today and returning back to TN today), so was confident, but I was surprised that these guys didn't bother to flag us down for a check.
Old 15th December 2013, 16:56   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Spotted these guys just after HSR Agara flyover...
These guys 'working' round the clock? Unbelievable.

Last edited by aajohn : 15th December 2013 at 16:58.
Old 15th December 2013, 19:25   #930
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
These guys 'working' round the clock? Unbelievable.
Last weekend (I think it was Saturday), saw RTO folks near the Indiranagar BDA complex (near the park opposite the complex) around 9pm .
I've seen them quite regularly at this spot during weekday afternoons as well.
About 3 months ago when heading for lunch in a friend's Scorpio they flagged us down but all papers were in order and my friend had paid KA road tax and retained the TN registration (which was the reason they'd flagged the car)

Last edited by NPV : 15th December 2013 at 19:26.
Closed Thread