Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 22nd December 2013, 14:26   #946
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Dear BHPians,

I have read a few posts in this thread and I am quite distressed to notice some of us who are providing "advice" on how to beat the RTO/Police in their attempt to collect road tax.

I am not here to say if what is suggested is right or wrong - it is an individual's conscience that would guide them.

All I can say is that if there is a law, it needs to be followed. If it is flawed, let us get it changed through the right means. Let us all exercise our voting rights and elect those who we think will make laws that are beneficial to the whole of society.

Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2013, 14:39   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi_dvk View Post
My car is been taken over by RTO people on 20-Dec-2013. .
Out of curiosity - Did they ' flag' you down earlier? Will be shocked if its at the first time itself they seized your vehicle. Would suggest you take some one who can speak Kanadda to the RTO and explain the situation. If possible check if you can get a letter from your employer which would state the duration you would be in Bangalore.
Old 22nd December 2013, 15:19   #948
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:

I explained the officials that I will be leaving to AP in 10 daysí time and told them I brought my car along with me for a short stay so that I can arraign my accommodation. But they were suggesting me to pay road tax and claim for a refund even if itís for a short stay.
Not sure if this works, but here is my thinking...
Get a HR letter from you company stating that you are being sent on deputation to Bangalore for 6 months. Present this to the RTO to strengthen your case that you will be returning to Hyderabad.
Second option is to prove that you are in job which requires you to travel frequently.
Old 22nd December 2013, 16:11   #949
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Need Suggestion, My Maruthi A-Star bearing AP registration has been stopped by RTO kormangala BDA.

My car is been taken over by RTO people on 20-Dec-2013.
i am driving a TN registered car in Bangalore - basically I am working in Bangalore Mon to Fri and driving back to Chennai on weekends.

Could you let us know if you had any prior intimation given to you before your car was impounded?

So, do I presume you were driving on Bangalore roads and you were stopped by RTO officials and your car was taken in and you are asked to pay the road tax for KA before you will get back your vehicle?

What if someone is passing through bangalore, going from say TN to MH?Will they impound the vehicle? What is the criteria for taking in vehicles?

if I am not mistaken ( or maybe I am ) the RTO would ask you to submit your original car documents to them and give you 30 days time to pay the tax.

I would be very surprised, astonished, stunned, amazed if any body has actually got their refunds from RTO.

As for me - Planning to take the Roadlink bus henceforth.

I wish I could actually calculate how much of my money I pay as tax in a year apart from income tax to the Govt ( toll, VAT, Luxury tax, road tax, etc - gist).
Old 22nd December 2013, 16:16   #950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramassrs View Post
Dear BHPians,

I have read a few posts in this thread and I am quite distressed to notice some of us who are providing "advice" on how to beat the RTO/Police in their attempt to collect road tax.

I am not here to say if what is suggested is right or wrong - it is an individual's conscience that would guide them.

All I can say is that if there is a law, it needs to be followed. If it is flawed, let us get it changed through the right means. Let us all exercise our voting rights and elect those who we think will make laws that are beneficial to the whole of society.

Thanks.
It's not like anyone is totally being an outlaw. Everyone has paid their taxes through their nose while they bought their cars and now just to earn their living, might have had to move to a different state where they are asked to pay the same amount again, apparently for a much worse infrastructure and roadways. What we want is a provision to pay annual road taxes at a state or even quarterly taxes, and not the fleecing in the name of lifetime tax. Central govt. employees have that provision now, while the other majority doesn't get that privilege. Yes, like you said, we need a "change", but how easily are such "changes" executed in our country? In a decade? So if you have like 5 changes of work locations, would you be wiling to cough up the taxes and wait for the change to take place and get your money back? If you know anyone who got their tax money back from the parent state after paying up at another state, I bet he would be a very tired man.

P.S: I moved from Tvm to Hyd 2 years back and had checked the AP Transport Website for tax options for my car (yes, I was very much willing to be a law-abiding citizen), they do have a "Quarterly tax" tab. I was so excited seeing it, but when clicked, it just showed an empty page with the message, "This page is being upgraded". It's been 2 years since then and the page still shows the same message. Talk about fast "changes" to the way our State government offices and the Country as a whole is governed.

Last edited by jayded : 22nd December 2013 at 16:30.
Old 22nd December 2013, 16:39   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post

It's not like anyone is totally being an outlaw. ... What we want is a provision to pay annual road taxes at a state or even quarterly taxes, and not the fleecing in the name of lifetime tax.. ...
Couldn't agree with you more. Would be great if we could pay tax according to the location each year. This would ease up some of the red tape with out of state movements and do away with the need for refunds etc. Seriously feel like filing a PIL for this.

Last edited by aajohn : 22nd December 2013 at 16:44.
Old 22nd December 2013, 17:39   #952
BHPian

I wonder isn't its possible for Ka RTO to make it compulsary for private vehicles to pay taxes while entering the karnataka? this can be like toll booth. Say, if I am coming to karnataka from maharashtra, intending to use my vehicle here for 3 months, I can pay the equivalent tax amount and carry the receipt throught 3 months. If I am caught in between, they can't charge me. if I am caught after 3 months and not renewed the tax receipt, I am liable for fine.

This way, 3 month tax will not be exorbitent and everyone will accept to pay the same.
Old 22nd December 2013, 19:27   #953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkarulkar View Post
I wonder isn't its possible for Ka RTO to make it compulsary for private vehicles to pay taxes while entering the karnataka? this can be like toll booth. Say, if I am coming to karnataka from maharashtra, intending to use my vehicle here for 3 months, I can pay the equivalent tax amount and carry the receipt throught 3 months. If I am caught in between, they can't charge me. if I am caught after 3 months and not renewed the tax receipt, I am liable for fine.

This way, 3 month tax will not be exorbitent and everyone will accept to pay the same.
How are they supposed to validate if whatever is being claimed is true?

And what about tourers who are just entering through or passing through KA?

Sometimes I feel why all this hype for KA road tax. Roads are pathetic when compared to neighboring states. And there is floating population elsewhere too, but the cops and RTO guys are cool as long as we do not make any offences. And we ain't making any unless we overstay 11 months.

If the KA RTO is successful in making this the norm, it is not long before the other states do the same.

Wonder how people would feel if they are stopped in AP/TN/KL driving a KA car, and asked to cough up Road Tax else car is confiscated, while say you are driving for a vacation.

Had they been doing this with enough proof in hand, things would have been better.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 19:41   #954
BHPian

I drive my kerala registered car in bangalore once a month for a day or two.i work for a company in electronics city but i work from home in kerala.This once a month visit is for some meetings.I was stopped couple of times by Rto once in front of Hp ec1 office and once near agara lake.On both these instances the RTO was convinced with my explanation with proof.PUC and insurance certificates were checked and also confirmed i need not pay tax since my stay is short.However the RTO mentioned that be ready for these checks when i drive here and as long as i can prove my case no need of worry about tax.
S5157 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2013, 20:00   #955
BHPian

Default Re: Non KA registered vehicles not welcomed in Karnataka!!!???

Quote:
Need Suggestion,

I explained the officials that I will be leaving to AP in 10 days’ time and told them I brought my car along with me for a short stay so that I can arraign my accommodation. But they were suggesting me to pay road tax and claim for a refund even if it’s for a short stay.

Can anybody suggest me a safe way to get my car out of the situation? I don’t plan to use the car in Karnataka, because it’s not on my Name. And even if I pay the Road Tax , It will not be an easy task to collect the refund because the vehicle is not registered on my name.
Dear Friend,

Unfortunately theres no way out..I have paid LTT in bangalore for 2 cars. 1 KL amby in 1995-1997 another TN scorpio just 1 month old in 2007.Also you cannot get refund as your car as been seized.Only voluntary payments get the money back, that too you have to get NOC from your current state register in karnataka and then take another NOC from karnataka to other state.Then you file for refund.

Last edited by Rajith : 22nd December 2013 at 20:01.
Old 22nd December 2013, 21:06   #956
Senior - BHPian

That's nice to hear, thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:29   #957
BHPian

Heads up - BTP is crawling all over Bangalore to stop outstation vehicles. I saw 14 check points today morning where they were stopping and checking. Every point I passed, they were stopping outstation vehicles that were in town for the XMAS and New Years celebration. Saw a few stopped drivers showing their toll tickets and the cops simply tore them up and threw them away.Resulted in some heated arguments. I think they are all being fined and asked to pay the road taxes. They were confiscating all their vehicle papers. If any of you come across such spot checks, please film it and report it. Looks like BTP is out to fulfill their year end quota.

I can understand fining folks who dont have toll tickets to prove recent entry and plying in the city beyond the stipulated time frame, but fining even those who just came into city a week ago?
Xryder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 16:12   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Heads up - BTP is crawling all over Bangalore to stop outstation vehicles. I saw 14 check points today morning where they were stopping and checking. Every point I passed, they were stopping outstation vehicles that were in town for the XMAS and New Years celebration. Saw a few stopped drivers showing their toll tickets and the cops simply tore them up and threw them away.Resulted in some heated arguments. I think they are all being fined and asked to pay the road taxes. They were confiscating all their vehicle papers. If any of you come across such spot checks, please film it and report it. Looks like BTP is out to fulfill their year end
Could you share the areas you had spotted the check points?
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:27   #959
Senior - BHPian

1) Bannergatta road- BTM lake road - entry
2) BTM lake road-Bannergatta road - Just before joining Bannergatta road
3) Ecity - near HP
4) Ecity - Neeladri Road near Wipro - Have high concentration of out of KA vehicles in this area.

These are the few locations I found them checking non-KA vehicles
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:42   #960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
1) Bannergatta road- BTM lake road - entry
2) BTM lake road-Bannergatta road - Just before joining Bannergatta road
3) Ecity - near HP
4) Ecity - Neeladri Road near Wipro - Have high concentration of out of KA vehicles in this area.

These are the few locations I found them checking non-KA vehicles
It's sad to see how the Karnataka govt is hell bent on sucking the blood of the outside state vehicles in the name of implementing uniform code of conduct.

If many other states lets the other state vehicles play without any fuss, what's the big deal with Karnataka.

Unfortunately, this leads me to get the impression that the govt officials want to either drive the other state folks out of Bangalore or ensure that they all play by the local rules. To me, this is another form of discrimination. I stayed in Bangalore for good 5-6 years before returning to Delhi in Q1 last year. I was constantly irritated by this practice.
Closed Thread