Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th February 2014, 22:25   #1006
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
sorry if this question was asked earlier. Does Chennai RTO allows to pay road tax alone without producing NOC from home state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I believe no RTO allows to pay road tax without furnishing a NOC from the home state. This is a requirement, atleast on paper.
I have paid just the road tax for my wife's two-wheeler @Bangalore RTO. I don't have any NOC from the home state(AP).
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 23:38   #1007
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
What happens exactly the *first* time you are caught with out of state vehicle without road tax receipt? Do they impound the vehicle/RC ? Or is there any challan amount ?
I was intercepted/caught only once and the inspector was very kind and professional with me. When I agreed to pay the tax he told me that he would neither impound my vehicle moreover he would waive any penalty or fines. My experience of paying the tax was not so smooth but I can live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijujj View Post
sorry if this question was asked earlier. Does Chennai RTO allows to pay road tax alone without producing NOC from home state.
I don't have any NOC. I paid "Other State Vehicle Tax". Check Form # 14 on the RTO site.

================================================== ========

My question is WB requires you to pay Road Tax every year. I've already paid upto 2017. If I don't pay the renewal tax, since I've paid KA lifetime tax, am I committing any crime since I plan to retain the WB number? Since I've paid the KA road tax if I obtain a NOC from WB do I get my tax refund for the period from 2014 to 2017. Has anyone tried this with successful results?
Old 10th February 2014, 03:07   #1008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
My question is WB requires you to pay Road Tax every year. I've already paid upto 2017. If I don't pay the renewal tax, since I've paid KA lifetime tax, am I committing any crime since I plan to retain the WB number? Since I've paid the KA road tax if I obtain a NOC from WB do I get my tax refund for the period from 2014 to 2017. Has anyone tried this with successful results?
No you are not committing any crime by not paying to WB Govt, but I guess when you try to get NOC and refund from WB RTO, you have to part way with the WB number plate as well. But my question is - if WB is taking road tax yearly, how did you pay tax till 2017?
Old 10th February 2014, 12:18   #1009
BHPian

I went to RTO office in Chennai and paid the life time tax without any hassles.

Documents I kept with me:
1. Purchase Agreement (I lost the original invoice, but this had the price details)
2. RC book, Driving license, Insurance
3. Emission Control Certificate

Only #1 and #2 were examined.I don't have an NOC, since I am not planning to re-register the vehicle immediately.

Process:
I went and directly met an officer. My intention was to meet RTO, and this gentleman came out of that room and listened to my request. He himself went to the next cabin where inspectors sit and helped me with rest of formalities.
- My vehicle was 4 years old, the Life Tax was calculated at 7.5%
- They accept cash or DD. Credit card/Cheque are not accepted.
- He sent one assistant with me, who helped me to pay the required amount quickly at the cash counter.
- Tax receipt was given immediately.

Total time I spent in the office is around 40 minutes.

On Re-registration:

As per the official, the rule book says that we need to re-register after 1 year of bringing the vehicle to another state. For that you will require NOC.

So theoretically you can still be challenged by Traffic Police, but it could be easier to get away :-)

But overall I was very happy with the treatment I received at RTO office.
Old 13th February 2014, 19:33   #1010
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Ok gentlemen, this is a tough one. RTO got me as well while I was about to enter the NICE road. I paid the road tax (a hefty 1 lakh) for my 2009 Honda city from Pondichery.

Now the issue is, I bought this vehicle from a gentleman in Bangalore itself. I was on my way to Pondicherry that day to get the ownership transfer done. (I have the signed documents from the owner). Now the question is, whether I can transfer the ownership in Bangalore since I have paid the road tax or is NOC must for it to be done? (Did I tell that owner is abroad!)
Old 14th February 2014, 10:42   #1011
BHPian

Hi Friends, I will be shifting to Bangalore (from Mumbai) in May and intend to take my Linea TJet along. I wanted to understand the latest rules around the Road Tax and Car Reg in KA. From what I gather so far, I can drive without paying any Tax for 11 months after which I need to get a NOC from Mumbai RTO and pay the Road Tax in KA. Is my understanding correct?
Now the issue is that for my car the Tax slab of 13-14%-of-car-value will cost me more than a Lac, which is a lot of money. But I wouldn't want to like go through the continuous hassle of getting Toll Receipts from MH border etc. Also, like most other members here, I plan to drive around the neighboring states frequently and that would involve border crossing and may be checking too :( Is there anyway of saving the money and the hassle and still drive in peace in Blre.

Last edited by Zenster : 14th February 2014 at 10:46.
Old 14th February 2014, 11:05   #1012
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hi Friends, I will be shifting to Bangalore (from Mumbai) in May ......
My advice is to sell your existing car in Mumbai and buy another car here. In order the save money you can look at a pre-owned car option here. Bangalore used cars are normally in good shape as the wonderful weather here keeps the cars rust free.

The reasoning for selling your existing car is as below
  1. High Road Tax in Karnataka
  2. Low probability of timely refund from MH
  3. Outside state cars have low resale value even if they are re-registered in the State
  4. Process of NOC and getting new number in KA is long and cumbersome process
  5. The hassles of driving a MH car here is just not fun.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 11:31   #1013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaroop_babu View Post
Ok gentlemen, this is a tough one. RTO got me as well while I was about to enter the NICE road. I paid the road tax (a hefty 1 lakh) for my 2009 Honda city from Pondichery.

Now the issue is, I bought this vehicle from a gentleman in Bangalore itself. I was on my way to Pondicherry that day to get the ownership transfer done. (I have the signed documents from the owner). Now the question is, whether I can transfer the ownership in Bangalore since I have paid the road tax or is NOC must for it to be done? (Did I tell that owner is abroad!)
They took 1 Lac from you on Spot?
Old 14th February 2014, 11:43   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaroop_babu View Post

You have paid road tax in KA. I presume you stay in KA. so I suggest you get NOC from PY and bring it with you back to KA where you get a KA number and no hassle of paying any more tax. NOC is must for KA number.
Old 16th February 2014, 14:18   #1015
Distinguished - BHPian

Today, RTO officials entered our apartment complex(Near Meenakshi Temple, Bannerghatta Road) and pasted the notice on all the other state vehicles asking to show the proof of road tax payment within 7 days or to pay the road tax immediately.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2014, 17:50   #1016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Today, RTO officials entered our apartment complex(Near Meenakshi Temple, Bannerghatta Road) and pasted the notice on all the other state vehicles asking to show the proof of road tax payment within 7 days or to pay the road tax immediately.

I would have thought they would have a database against which to check the tax status.
Old 16th February 2014, 22:03   #1017
BHPian

Quote:
notice on all the other state vehicles asking to show the proof of road tax payment within 7 days or to pay the road tax immediately.
I wonder if they keep a tab on who all they issue notices to! Do they come again to 'inspect' if the tax is paid?
Old 16th February 2014, 22:50   #1018
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would have thought they would have a database against which to check the tax status.
I have already paid the road tax for my two-wheeler but still they pasted a notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
I wonder if they keep a tab on who all they issue notices to! Do they come again to 'inspect' if the tax is paid?
They retain the carbon copy of the notice.
Old 17th February 2014, 19:04   #1019
Team-BHP Support

The onus is on them to prove that you have not paid the road tax! Besides:

1. Have they clearly stated where you need to go to pay this?

2. Once they check, how do you know that they will not send another notice or follow up by mistake?

3. If the Bangalore Traffic Police can pull up your registration information from the RTO database, why can't they ?

4. Before seizing a vehicle, they need to produce a showcase notice.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 20:32   #1020
BHPian

Quote:
They are looking for easy targets... If they go little further to JP Nagar 4th Phase (dollars colony) they can issue notice to may PY reg Audis and Beemers, just in one street itself, but sure won't do that!
bejoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread