Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st February 2014, 18:19   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
There may be some truth in what the officer said. The facility to pay the tax without NOC was formulated to fill in the coffers easily. The problem arise when one wants to get refund from KA, if the car is shifted out of state. The refund rule stipulates the car to be registered in KA to be eligible. In such a case, one has to get back to back NOCs, which may be next to impossible.
You are absolutely correct. If anyone is willing to pay the road tax voluntarily, the KA RTO is more than happy to fill its coffers. As per rule, one has to get NOC from the state in which the vehicle was registered, re-register with KA number and apply for refund from the parent RTO. This last point that i mentioned is a life time project.
In my case, i knew that there is no point getting NOC, get a new KA number and apply for refund. So i decided to pay the tax and retain the TN number.
If i wish to sell the car in the near future, i will try to sell the same to some taxi agency in hosur, as i have paid tax in 2 states (KA and TN).
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:43   #1037
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
No you are not committing any crime by not paying to WB Govt, but I guess when you try to get NOC and refund from WB RTO, you have to part way with the WB number plate as well. But my question is - if WB is taking road tax yearly, how did you pay tax till 2017?
Tax in WB is 5 yearly for Private Vehicles. It was Life Time (15 years) before but they changed it to earn more money. For yellow plates it is yearly I believe.
Old 23rd February 2014, 19:22   #1038

today RTO entered our apartment complex near meenakshi temple, bannerghatta road.they came in at around 10.being a Sunday most cars were parked inside the complex.they spent around 3 hours inside the apartment complex.Association manager sent a notice to all residents informing RTO check.those residents who did not respond got a notice on the car (non KA).even the cars passing through were stopped and checked. I don't know if it's legal for RTO to enter an apartment complex and check.
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:20   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
I don't know if it's legal for RTO to enter an apartment complex and check.
I think road tax is meant to be paid for using the vehicle on the roads of the state. So, going by the logical way, I dont think they have the right to come in the way of cars parked in a private property. Rather they can stand right outside the gate and seize the car as soon as the car enters the road

When I went through the RTO powers assigned to its officers, one of the conditions state that an officer may enter any premises where the vehicle is kept for inspection related to accidents, or fitness etc. But nowhere is it mentioned that they can check the registration status or something similar.

Last edited by audioholic : 23rd February 2014 at 20:37.
Old 24th February 2014, 02:25   #1040

Hi this is my first post here.
I am planning to shift my 2002 OHC VTEC from WB to Bangalore. I will probably stay in Bangalore for max 2yrs.
I am highly confused about the tax I need to pay.
I called Koramangla RTO and they said I need to pay lifetime tax. 15yrs tax for a 12yr old car?
I called up KR Puram RTO and the guy on the phone said I can pay for 1yr tax.
I am now highly confused!

I also went to the Koramangla RTO and spoke with an auditor, I told him the situation and said the invoice value is 11.5L (in 2002), he calculated and said I need to pay around 89k tax

I don't want to drive without paying road tax but 89k, seriously?

Also, is it true I can drive 11 months without paying road tax?

Thanks in advance
Old 24th February 2014, 10:41   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounava View Post
I am planning to shift my 2002 OHC VTEC from WB to Bangalore. I will probably stay in Bangalore for max 2yrs.
I called Koramangla RTO and they said I need to pay lifetime tax. 15yrs tax for a 12yr old car?

I also went to the Koramangla RTO and spoke with an auditor, I told him the situation and said the invoice value is 11.5L (in 2002), he calculated and said I need to pay around 89k tax

Thanks in advance
Yes, the first 11 months you can drive without paying tax. In your case since it 2 years, for the next year ideally you should pay LTT. This is calculated based on the invoice price of your car, age of the car.
If you are pretty sure, your stay will not extend beyond 2 years then it is a case of hoodwinking the police for the 2nd year alone before you get back to your home town.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 10:50   #1042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the world of ridiculous rules & taxes!

If you are a central government employee, you can pay taxes for 1 year in Bangalore. Otherwise, you will need to pay taxes for 15 years; in your case there will be depreciation. The actual rates and formula by which the taxes are calculated for transfers are provided in one of the previous (recent) pages.

Edit::

I also suggest that you try to buy a small pre-owned car for that price (89K - you might some decent Zen / Esteem / 800s) for a 2 year usage (if that's OK with you). When you go back, you can sell this car or even take the car to WB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Yes, the first 11 months you can drive without paying tax. In your case since it 2 years, for the next year ideally you should pay LTT. This is calculated based on the invoice price of your car, age of the car...
11 months? I thought it's 3 or 6 months. Again paying taxes for just one year is possible ONLY if you are a central government employee. Other wise no one has an option of anything less than 15 years tax.

Quote:
...If you are pretty sure, your stay will not extend beyond 2 years then it is a case of hoodwinking the police for the 2nd year alone before you get back to your home town.
Pretty bad advice. With such strict checking, you are giving a tip for the member's car to be seized!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th February 2014 at 10:58. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 10:58   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Hope this helps

Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached-sample.jpg
suresh_gs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 11:02   #1044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...I also went to the Koramangla RTO and spoke with an auditor, I told him the situation and said the invoice value is 11.5L (in 2002), he calculated and said I need to pay around 89k tax...
Quote:
Hope this helps

Attachment 1211285
Based on the attached sheet, I guess taxes should be to the tune of ~40K. Am I missing something?
Old 24th February 2014, 11:22   #1045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Based on the attached sheet, I guess taxes should be to the tune of ~40K. Am I missing something?
In my case, the invoice price was Rs 299383. Since it is below 5 Lakhs, 13% slab is applicable. The age of the vehicle was more than 4 years but less than 5 years. So based on the image enclosed in my previous post, 75% is the depreciation value.
So total tax is 0.75*0.13*299383 = 29190.
On this value , cess @ 11% is added = 0.11*29190 = 3211

So total LTT is 29190+3211= Rs 32401
Old 24th February 2014, 13:27   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bison View Post
today RTO entered our apartment complex near meenakshi temple, bannerghatta road.they came in at around 10.being a Sunday most cars were parked inside the complex.they spent around 3 hours inside the apartment complex.
bison, from your description, we live in the same apartment complex. And as an association member, I can give you a little bit more background regarding the check. The RTO came and very politely asked the association to let them in for the check. We asked them what is the alternative and they said that if the check is allowed, then they will give a 7 day notice to get the tax paid. Other option, if we denied the entry, was that the RTO will stand right next to the exit gate and spot fine whoever goes out with a different state registered car, causing inconvenience to everybody. We chose the former.
And as a side note, regarding the legality, in Karnataka, you cannot have a gated community, as it is not recognised by law. So, strictly speaking, the amenities inside an apartment complex can be used by the general public. There are lots of cases like L&T SouthCity, Brigade Millennium etc where the road, park etc had to be opened up for public use. So, you can deny entry into your apartment, if they come without a warrant, but not to your compound.

Last edited by A350XWB : 24th February 2014 at 13:31.
A350XWB is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 17:01   #1047
BHPian

Thumbs down Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:

Thanks in advance
The amount looks correct by calculation to me.

17% of 11.5 L = 195500

Since it is 12 years old, 41% of the same would be 80155 plus 11% Cess would take it to 89000.

Can someone point to a official ruling where we can use outstation vehicles for 11 months without paying Road Tax?

Also what are the criteria to determine if the stay of the vehicle has been more than 11 months or not, one can genuinely visit their home state and come back, technically resetting the counter of 11 months to start from 0.

This tax scheme is so flawed!! Is there any clarity as to when the uniform road tax is coming?
0and1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 19:57   #1048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0and1 View Post
The amount looks correct by calculation to me.

17% of 11.5 L = 195500

Since it is 12 years old, 41% of the same would be 80155 plus 11% Cess would take it to 89000.

Can someone point to a official ruling where we can use outstation vehicles for 11 months without paying Road Tax?

Also what are the criteria to determine if the stay of the vehicle has been more than 11 months or not, one can genuinely visit their home state and come back, technically resetting the counter of 11 months to start from 0.

This tax scheme is so flawed!! Is there any clarity as to when the uniform road tax is coming?
I have another question here. The tax slabs 12 years ago would have been very different from now. Do they they calculate tax on the current slabs or the prevalent slabs based on the car purchase date?

Additionally, the Ex-showroom price of the car also changes with time. How do they counter that factor while calculating the tax?

What if the car model is currently not under production, e.g Esteem, Zen, how would the tax be calculated in such cases?
Old 24th February 2014, 20:45   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
bison, from your description, we live in the same apartment complex. And as an association member, I can give you a little bit more background regarding the check. The RTO came and very politely asked the association to let them in for the check. We asked them what is the alternative and they said that if the check is allowed, then they will give a 7 day notice to get the tax paid. Other option, if we denied the entry, was that the RTO will stand right next to the exit gate and spot fine whoever goes out with a different state registered car, causing inconvenience to everybody. We chose the former.
And as a side note, regarding the legality, in Karnataka, you cannot have a gated community, as it is not recognised by law. So, strictly speaking, the amenities inside an apartment complex can be used by the general public. There are lots of cases like L&T SouthCity, Brigade Millennium etc where the road, park etc had to be opened up for public use. So, you can deny entry into your apartment, if they come without a warrant, but not to your compound.
Do you guys stay in Kristal Beryl. I heard that they had visited Beryl on Sunday.
Old 24th February 2014, 21:27   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
Do you guys stay in Kristal Beryl. I heard that they had visited Beryl on Sunday.
Aiel, I live in Purva Panorama. On Sunday, they visited Crystal Beryl, Purva Panorama and Ajmera Green Acres as far as I know. And today morning, they were stationed at the signal next to Meenakshi mall. For the past couple of weeks, they are standing at different places along the stretch from Loyola till Hulimavu gate. Today, they were also catching the private buses without permit who ferry passengers to the Shahi Exports garment factory.
Closed Thread