Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 9th March 2014, 22:13   #1111

So you are saying 1+ years of stay justify paying 15yrs tax? And that roads would have been beautiful if there were no tax evasions from other state vehicles?
Sounava is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2014, 22:26   #1112
BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Is it okay to use non-KA registered cars in Manipal/ Mangalore?
Or will I be stopped and asked to pay a 1.2 lac tax for my KL Linea?
Old 9th March 2014, 23:41   #1113
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 atta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounava View Post
If they allow everyone from other states to pay yearly Road tax instead of only allowing for Central Government employees, then I think the true floating population will be happy.
The Karnataka RTO no longer accepts yearly tax even if you are a central govt employee. My father is a Central Govt employee and we hadnt paid LTT initially for two years. Of course it didnt make sense to pay 1.1L tax as LTT whereas the yearly tax was initially 850Rs increased to Rs. 2250. Even if we kept the car for ten years, it would be a fraction of the LTT.

The RTO understood this shortcut and refused to take annual tax on such vehicles. All of my dads colleagues and himself paid up the LTT according to prevailing rates. According to them in case the employee is transferred they have to obtain refund from Karnataka RTO and later pay tax wherever they go to. Not sure if it was a rule made by RTO themselves.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 20:12   #1114
BHPian

Saw RTO Folks near Wipro, Sarjapur Road at 6 PM stopping all No-KA Registered Cars. Its Tough to pay the Road tax in each and every State we work. High time to have One common Tax for India. Well we can argue that that We can pay the Tax and get a refund later...I transferred my Old car from Bangalore to Kerala (in Jan 2012, when petrol prices began to Pinch)...For that Car I had paid road tax for MH & KA....I got the car re-registered in Kerala after paying the road tax...I am yet to get the refund from both KA & MH....All done through proper Channel....On following up, both RTO's ask me to wait for some more time, a mercy which was not shown while they asked me to pay the road tax

Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this.

Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th March 2014 at 07:39. Reason: See note in post.
P4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 21:58   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4life View Post
Saw RTO Folks near Wipro, Sarjapur Road at 6 PM stopping all No-KA Registered Cars. Its Tough to pay the Road tax in each and every State we work. High time to have One common Tax for India. Well we can argue that that We can pay the Tax and get a refund later...I transferred my Old car from Bangalore to Kerala (in Jan 2012, when petrol prices began to Pinch)...For that Car I had paid road tax for MH & KA....I got the car re-registered in Kerala after paying the road tax...I am yet to get the refund from both KA & MH....All done through proper Channel....On following up, both RTO's ask me to wait for some more time, a mercy which was not shown while they asked me to pay the road tax
Presently the road tax slab varies from 17% in KA for high end vehicles to as low as 6% in PY. KA makes most of the revenue by this road tax. I wonder if states like KA/AP will agree to the proposal of uniform road tax slab across the country.

Getting refund from the parent RTO is a life time project
Old 11th March 2014, 02:42   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Presently the road tax slab varies from 17% in KA for high end vehicles to as low as 6% in PY.
If I remember correctly road tax in PY is not based on % value of the car but on a slab system. I think the maximum road tax in PY (cars more than 20L) is INR 50,000.
Old 11th March 2014, 10:41   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
If I remember correctly road tax in PY is not based on % value of the car but on a slab system. I think the maximum road tax in PY (cars more than 20L) is INR 50,000.
Here is the enclosed image that shows the tax structure in puducherry

Name:  py road tax.JPG
Views: 9200
Size:  48.7 KB
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 11:21   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Here is the enclosed image that shows the tax structure in puducherry

Attachment 1217845
Thanks!

So, anyone buying a high end car can buy a home in PY and register it there. No need for a fake address proof
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2014, 15:30   #1119
Senior - BHPian

There is a Rolls Royce Phantom (White) PY... 6, just after biocon factory on hosur road. (Next to the Cafe Coffee day outlet), cant believe he paid just 50K in Pondy. Realistically on a 4Crore Car he would have ended up paying (15%?) 50+ Lakhs !!

:-\
Old 11th March 2014, 16:49   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
There is a Rolls Royce Phantom (White) PY... 6, just after biocon factory on hosur road. (Next to the Cafe Coffee day outlet), cant believe he paid just 50K in Pondy. Realistically on a 4Crore Car he would have ended up paying (15%?) 50+ Lakhs !!

:-\
Here are the enclosed images showing tax slab in KA, TN and AP

Name:  AP tax.JPG
Views: 8495
Size:  64.7 KB
Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached-ka-tax.jpg
Name:  TN tax.JPG
Views: 8432
Size:  45.5 KB
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 14:42   #1121
Team-BHP Support

Attention: RTO checking right now (4 Aug, 12:15 PM) at JP NAGAR , Hotel Nandini near Outer ring road

Source
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2014, 15:15   #1122
Team-BHP Support

Latest Update from Facebook

Attention guys :- Checking happening now infront of innovative multiplexer oor marthahalli.Watchout
Old 6th August 2014, 11:25   #1123
Team-BHP Support

Coolclouds writes in
Quote:
Here is a link about how biggies trip tax drive

Link

Reports surface about non-Karnataka registered luxury car owners getting penalty waivers via underhand deals

The crackdown against non-Karnataka vehicles has not only been netting revenue for the state government, but has also spawned a web of favouritism and corruption. A few Transport Department officials have been accused of clandestinely releasing high-end non-KA vehicles which had been seized for non-payment of taxes.

The modus operandi is simple. Junior-level Transport Department officials flag down non-KA cars and seize them after ascertaining that the owners of such vehicles are residents of Bangalore but have got the cars registered in neighbouring states where tax slabs are low. But senior officials collude with such owners for alleged pecuniary gains, take an undertaking from the latter that they are on a tourist visit to the state, and order for the release of the seized vehicles. The car owners, who otherwise would have had to shell out hefty amounts (running into lakhs of rupees) as penalty, get away easily.

Transport Minister R Ramalinga Reddy, who has been apprised of this development, told Bangalore Mirror: "I am getting the allegations investigated. These things cannot be allowed to happen." In fact, the head honchos of the department found themselves in a piquant situation after reports about two posh non-KA cars having been being released without any penalty acquired currency within the department.

While one was a Maharashtra-registered Range Rover luxury sports utility vehicle (SUV) which escaped a tax and penalty of Rs 10 lakh, the other was an Andhra Pradesh-registered Audi A4 2.0, which was slapped with a penalty of Rs 6 lakh. A few miffed transport department officials said: "While influential persons are allowed to escape, those at the receiving end are the working professionals, especially techies, who have been fleeced for bringing their cars to Bangalore for shorter stints."

'Insurance, power bill paid' Citing the example of the AP registered Audi, sources pointed out: "The vehicle was seized after ascertaining that its owner resided in Bangalore and he was ordered to pay a penalty of Rs 6 lakh. But the owner argued that he was only visiting Bangalore and that the car was being driven on AP roads. But during the probe we found that the car's insurance was done in Karnataka and not in AP. Moreover, we also pulled out the owner's electricity bill to prove that he was a resident of Bangalore. Though there was strong evidence against the Audi owner, the RTO of Yeshwanthpur ordered the release of the car. All it took for the RTO to order the car's release was an undertaking from the car owner that he is a resident of AP and has obtained his driving licence from AP."

The penalty amount is calculated based on the car's year of manufacture, and the tax slab to which the make belongs.

Sources said the crackdown against non-KA cars was initiated with a view to net the rich who were evading taxes by getting the costly cars registered in neighbouring states, but it has been reduced to catching working professionals who bring their cars from their native places following job-related transfers and postings.

When contacted over the allegations, Yeshwanthpur RTO Shobha M said: "The Audi car was released after verifying various documents. The owner of the car had also submitted toll receipts to the officials. We have also checked with the police whether the car was involved in traffic violations. We have released the car after taking an undertaking from the owner that he is not permanently using the car within city limits."

When BM spoke to the car owner (who did not want to be identified), he said: "I am not a resident of Bangalore. I live in Andhra Pradesh and my son stays in Bangalore. I come here once in a while to spend time with my son. After, my vehicle was seized, RTO officials asked me to produce certain documents. After I furnished the same, they got convinced that I am not a permanent resident and they have released the vehicle. I do not want to comment anything beyond this."

Interestingly, the investigation report submitted by junior officials stated that the seized vehicle has been running on the city road for the last three months. It is not known why the officials made a U-turn and released the vehicle.The Karnataka Motor Vehicles Taxation Act was amended in January this year to stipulate that owners/drivers of vehicles from outside must pay lifetime tax in Karnataka if they ply their vehicles continuously in the state for more than a month.

It is said that in Andhra Pradesh, lifetime tax for cars worth more than Rs 20 lakh is 12 per cent of the car's on-road price, but in Karnataka one has to pay 18 per cent tax. Many Bangalore residents prefer to register their vehicles in neighboring states.
Old 19th February 2016, 09:36   #1124
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Thanks to NPV for this update:

Quote:
This morning (18th Feb 2016 around 9 am), there was an RTO squad outside Phoenix Market city, ITPL Road and going by the cars that were stopped, it seemed target was out of state cars (I saw that TN and KL registered cars were stopped).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 19:00   #1125
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Karnataka Road Tax, Crack down announced.EDIT: High Court Judgement on Pg 36 attached

Latest judgement is in this regard is available on this thread.
Closed Thread