Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th April 2005, 09:34   #1
BHPian

Default Expected launches

Hi All,
I saw in TOI today. New cars to be launched are Swift, Honda Civic, Skoda Fabia and Fiat Panda. Fiat seems to be more stable than before and the would be launch of Fiat Panda is to prove again its commitment to India.
I have read the long debate about the future of Fiat in India but to me it seems to be a bit brighter than before.
As far as joy of driving and safety is concerned even the AutoGurus have started recommending Fiat Petra over Esteem. Ofcourse if you consider average and service network then esteem is the winner.
Sush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 09:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush
Hi All,
I saw in TOI today. New cars to be launched are Swift, Honda Civic, Skoda Fabia and Fiat Panda. Fiat seems to be more stable than before and the would be launch of Fiat Panda is to prove again its commitment to India.
I have read the long debate about the future of Fiat in India but to me it seems to be a bit brighter than before.
As far as joy of driving and safety is concerned even the AutoGurus have started recommending Fiat Petra over Esteem. Ofcourse if you consider average and service network then esteem is the winner.

Hmm, you might get flamed for that last para.

Regarding the Fiat Panda launch, where did you get this info from? There have been no signals from Fiat at all.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 09:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Hmm, you might get flamed for that last para.

Regarding the Fiat Panda launch, where did you get this info from?

There have been no signals from Fiat at all.
Please see the comments by Mr. S.K. Gupta on www.indiacar.com. People post him with their queries regarding buying new cars.
Moreover i have personally owned an esteem and have test driven the Petra. Esteem is faster but Petra is safer and powerful.

It was in today's TOI. Also a Fiat dealer in Chandigarh told me about this.
There might post it on their website once its up.. :-)

Last edited by Sush : 14th April 2005 at 10:05.
Sush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 12:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sush. Thanks for the clarification. I personally chose the Petra over the Baleno and the Baleno I placed over the Esteem so I know where you are coming from. However, this may not be the commonly held view. Also the Esteem has better initial acceleration though I doubt it will reach a better top speed than a Petra.

Regarding the new launch by Fiat, I have my doubts. Some say it will be the new Adventure. I have not heard about the Panda being launched.

I think the talks about Fiat's future in India are still in progress which is why the website is still down. Maybe once it is decided what will happen, then we will get to see the website and hear more news on the newer launches.

I had also gone through the site the address of which you have posted. But the answers seem pretty old. The current situation does not make the Petra a car for all. Though, IMHO, it is better than most of it's competitors - as a machine and a product.

Keep posting.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 12:20   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sush
Hi All,
Hello Sush,

In which page of the TOI was this? I tried looking for this in the EPaper (I am at work right now) but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 12:31   #6
BHPian

I too saw the mention of launch of Fiat Panda in today's TOI (Times Auto) Bangalore edition.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 12:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
Before we turn this into another FIAT thread,
Fiat has been planning to launch the Panda for quite some time now at a price of the Uno.
But i guess we will hear about in tomorrow as mumbai-ites get the times drive on Friday.
Oh and i will never go by what Autoguru says because he takes a very long time and some of his answers are misleading.
I prefer the word of people who are into cars and not of those who believe they know something about cars.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 12:50   #8
dev
BHPian

Any apprx., price of Panda?
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2005, 12:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob
Hello Sush,

In which page of the TOI was this? I tried looking for this in the EPaper (I am at work right now) but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!
It was in the 'Times Auto' pullout i think . might not be available online
hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 00:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

[quote=lamborghini]Hey guys,
Before we turn this into another FIAT thread,
Fiat has been planning to launch the Panda for quite some time now at a price of the Uno.
QUOTE]
At the price of an Uno?? Are you sure? I highly doubt this piece of info.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 10:20   #11
Team-BHP Support

[quote=Sush]Please see the comments by Mr. S.K. Gupta on www.indiacar.com. People post him with their queries regarding buying new cars.
QUOTE]

SK Gupta lacks the collective knowledge of this forum. His advice is very conservative> He lives in the Amby Fiat era
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 10:48   #12
BHPian

Panda is coming for sure and so is the news of a sports car. Fiat is already getting ready to break away from the TVS tie up and is talking to lot of other manufacturers in India. There is talk of their discussions with Mahindra's in final stages....Inside info!!
nishant_kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 12:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin
There is talk of their discussions with Mahindra's in final stages....Inside info!!
I'll be damned, there is no end to this, first it was a merger with Ashok leyland and ICICI , now it's mahindra. The rumour mills are doing overtime i think.

There were some talk of honda launching the jazz here , has anyone heard anything about that?
hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 15:52   #14
BHPian

Just got a call from the Maruti guys here. Seems they've started accepting bookings for the Swift. Launch date- 19th of May ( My B'Day!!!!) It's only coming with the 1.3L engine for now but he says that Maruti might tune it to give more than 85bhp. The 1.6 engine's only due in 2007. He wasn't sure about the price- Quote- between 4 to 5 Lakhs-Unquote.
Just wish they'd upgrade the looks of the Baleno faast. Exteriors and the Interiors. Otherwise it's THE car to have. 6Lakhs..6Lakhs....Why dosen't the damn uncle die........
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 16:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey Puffdamgcdragon

are you sure the swift is only coming with a 1.3l engine.i thought it was the 1.6 l one.the swift would have been amazning with the 1.6l dont know about how good it will do with the one its coming up with .

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote