Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2008, 19:44   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

If we got ISRO proving a lot in world Telecom industry..

Then India will need someone for auto-motive industry for making ingenious products and keeping the Indian roads and traffic in mind.

taking this in consideration, Maruti is sure No No
ritz830 is offline  
Old 15th December 2008, 21:03   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
If we got ISRO proving a lot in world Telecom industry..

Then India will need someone for auto-motive industry for making ingenious products and keeping the Indian roads and traffic in mind.

taking this in consideration, Maruti is sure No No
Could you please rephrase what you want to say here. Whatever you have written makes no sense whatsoever!!!
joslicx is offline  
Old 15th December 2008, 21:05   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 291 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Its been 25 years dude. You(Maruti) gottu move on and let way for the good stuff.
Why complain? People who love Maruti will buy it. People who don't will not. Simple.
blue_pulsar is offline  
Old 15th December 2008, 21:06   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Could you please rephrase what you want to say here. Whatever you have written makes no sense whatsoever!!!
Oh forget it man. I am tired
ritz830 is offline  
Old 15th December 2008, 21:20   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,839
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
If we got ISRO proving a lot in world Telecom industry..

Then India will need someone for auto-motive industry for making ingenious products and keeping the Indian roads and traffic in mind.

taking this in consideration, Maruti is sure No No
and considering the fact that a mallu almost became a miss world 2008, god should make all mallu females good looking.

Yeah dream on
greenhorn is offline  
Old 15th December 2008, 21:28   #36
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
and considering the fact that a mallu almost became a miss world 2008, god should make all mallu females good looking.

Yeah dream on
Miss India girl was hot. For a moment I thought she was not from India
ritz830 is offline  
Old 15th December 2008, 21:29   #37
BHPian
 
benkey2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 95
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRider View Post
As far as I am concerned, Maruti is not selling something people want. They make people to buy what they manufacture.
i agree with this point. they are exploiting the people's mentality. somewhere i read that TATA bought the used assembly line from australia to make indica. but in case of maruthi they are getting it from parent company. after using the wagon assembly line for almost 20 years (read as spent), suzuki company gave it to Maruti, and here they introduced the wagonR, which is sold/selling like hot cake.
if ritz concern is about M800, i agree with him and they should stop making 800 and alto.
because in another forum i read, that over 200 million nokia 1100 model mobiles were sold before nokia stopped manufacturing it. in terms of volume sold,nokia 1100 comes first when comparing all electronic GADGETS including ipods. if nokia still produces that model, keeping in mind the price conscious indian people, it would have crossed 250 million by now. but they didnt. thats why i said they are exploiting our mentality. moreover i wont accept that they are torchbearers. since they enjoy more sales than any other company and thats why they are giving airbags etc in lower models. moreover the built quality and legroom space, maruti comes last when compared to tata, hyundai etc.

Last edited by benkey2 : 15th December 2008 at 21:30.
benkey2 is offline  
Old 16th December 2008, 07:46   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 112
Thanked: Once
Default

Can Maruti assure that 25 years after they launch, the latest M800 confirm to Euro standards ?
Dine is offline  
Old 16th December 2008, 10:27   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by benkey2 View Post
i agree with this point. they are exploiting the people's mentality. somewhere i read that TATA bought the used assembly line from australia to make indica. but in case of maruthi they are getting it from parent company. after using the wagon assembly line for almost 20 years (read as spent), suzuki company gave it to Maruti, and here they introduced the wagonR, which is sold/selling like hot cake.
if ritz concern is about M800, i agree with him and they should stop making 800 and alto.
because in another forum i read, that over 200 million nokia 1100 model mobiles were sold before nokia stopped manufacturing it. in terms of volume sold,nokia 1100 comes first when comparing all electronic GADGETS including ipods. if nokia still produces that model, keeping in mind the price conscious indian people, it would have crossed 250 million by now. but they didnt. thats why i said they are exploiting our mentality. moreover i wont accept that they are torchbearers. since they enjoy more sales than any other company and thats why they are giving airbags etc in lower models. moreover the built quality and legroom space, maruti comes last when compared to tata, hyundai etc.
Man at least think bfore writing!!! Which maruti car has airbags in lower models???
And how is a mobile phone and a car related? To create a new phone takes maybe less than 1m USD but to create a new car altogether might need more than 500m! Its not so straightforward.
Car companies have to be very careful about their new launches. Its a question of millions of dollars of RnD. In a country like India where volumes are not that much (or traditionally they were not that much... its only now we are becoming a big market) its a huge investment risk (look at the likes of Fiat, Peugeot, Opel etc how much they have lost here). Thats why most companies (in fact all car companies) used to dump old models only here. Its only very recently (and Hyundai started it with Santro) that companies have started offering some of their latest cars. Even now the likes of GM, Ford, Honda (do we have same Civic as in US?), Merc, skoda etc dont offer their latest models!!!
Maruti Suzuki is way better than most others!
joslicx is offline  
Old 16th December 2008, 12:23   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post
Can Maruti assure that 25 years after they launch, the latest M800 confirm to Euro standards ?

Dude, Euro emission rating is just an eyewash. Cmon, the smaller the vehicle(better mileage), the better the emission standard. Ask suzuki to do the same with its bigger vehicles. Suzuki can not.. But Fiat,Honda can.

"mileage D.proportional to co2 emission D.proportional to size of car"

Euro NCAP safety rating is what matters. Go to this website and see for yourself. New Alto is not even listed.
Euro NCAP - For safer cars | HOME

Have a good day.

Last edited by ritz830 : 16th December 2008 at 12:36.
ritz830 is offline  
Old 16th December 2008, 13:48   #41
BHPian
 
prateekswarup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 233
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

The main reason for the dismal state of the auto industry in India is the mentality of the people.
How many are actually knowledgeable about ABS and its function and how many shy away from paying the extra buck for these safety feature?
Same goes for airbags.
Also, how many buyers actually go for a tyre change because the stock tyres are not that great?
We Indians are not willing to spend an extra buck on these things unless the person is an enthusiast. Where 70% of the population is struggling with 'roti, kapada and makaan', the features of an automobile is a dwindling concern. Yes, even though this is 2008, people mainly buy cars to go from A to B. Period.
Maruti offers inexpensive (although sub standard) cars, it fulfils the Indian requirement. They have been here for almost 20 years. They have learned this fact and are continuing to exploit it.
Other manufacturers cannot compete unless they shove similar sub-standard/outdated stuff into our mouths. When they start doing so, they get heavily critisized as they are expected to be better than Maruti.
I wish FIAT had gone the Maruti way! We would have had some great cars that would have been fun to drive.
prateekswarup is offline  
Old 16th December 2008, 14:06   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Other manufacturers cannot compete unless they shove similar sub-standard/outdated stuff into our mouths. When they start doing so, they get heavily critisized as they are expected to be better than Maruti.
I wish FIAT had gone the Maruti way! We would have had some great cars that would have been fun to drive.
So Fiat doesnot sell outdated stuff? umm so how old is Palio by the way???

And by the time they finally launch Linea and GP (if they do it at all) it will be close to outdated as well. These cars would already be in europe for 2+ years. Why criticize Maruti for others inability to commit to Indian customer?
joslicx is offline  
Old 16th December 2008, 14:14   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,860
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
Miss India girl was hot. For a moment I thought she was not from India
when did this happen? I am really out of touch with the world, ain't I!!!

(PS: This was the only one I felt worth discussing. Rest of it, as Ritz has put is )
HappyWheels is offline  
Old 16th December 2008, 14:26   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,047
Thanked: 484 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekswarup View Post
Maruti offers inexpensive (although sub standard) cars, it fulfils the Indian requirement.
Unlike another car manufacturer in India (which i will not name ), which continues to sell obsolete decade old cars made for third world countries (Brazil, Zambia etc.), Maruti introduced cars like Swift, SX4 and Now A-star, which coincide with the international debut. Heck, we Indians are the first to get A-Star, much like Hyundai did with i10.
And inexpensive does not mean sub-standard. Its a well known fact that Marutis run for lacs of kms without giving owners much trouble, such is the reliability factor. There is no use of a car having reassuring Thud or Tank like build quality, which breakdown frequently and having to replace fuel pumps at 10k intervals, spending 2-3 months waiting at service centers for spare parts, that too at ridiculously high prices.

If you do not like, don't buy it. Period.

Last edited by DCEite : 16th December 2008 at 14:28.
DCEite is offline  
Old 16th December 2008, 14:29   #45
JVH
Senior - BHPian
 
JVH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 148 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
So Fiat doesnot sell outdated stuff? umm so how old is Palio by the way???

And by the time they finally launch Linea and GP (if they do it at all) it will be close to outdated as well. These cars would already be in europe for 2+ years. Why criticize Maruti for others inability to commit to Indian customer?
That's the difference. FIAT's outdated stuff is still good enough and still commands enthusiast's interests (1.6 GTX). The facelift in the form of Stile with the Multijet heart is also one of the good looking hatches on road.

Linea and Punto are fantastic products and will be even after a few years. Their A.S.S needs a lot to be improved though
JVH is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old world and nether world:A slice of Rayalaseema aryasanyal Travelogues 37 31st July 2011 00:44
best mechanic for 1.6 palio in mumbai. karan86 Technical Stuff 1 25th November 2008 21:58
best gear oil & best coolant & best engine decarb: please cyneverdie Technical Stuff 7 19th October 2007 03:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks