Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 17:30   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Having driven the Aygo, I feel its a nice mini for zipping around the city. For those who are not aware its a nice car for football as well


Last edited by MileCruncher : 29th April 2009 at 17:35.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 18:12   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
karanraheja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,915
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
this is indeed going to hit Jazz
I doubt about that. Yaris competes with Jazz in most markets. And from the interiors space Aygo would be perfectly pitched against i10, A-star etc. Yaris & Vios with diesel powerplant would seriously give some sleepless nights to Honda.
karanraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 21:33   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,995
Thanked: 659 Times
Default

Attaching the photos I took earlier today at the Showroom of the Toyota Yaris. IMO, this car would suit the indian market better - it looks more substantial and feels solid. add this to toyota's image and reliability and I think we have a killer!
It would be a great contender to i20/polo/fabia/swift etc.

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris2.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris1.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris3.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris8.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris4.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris5.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris6.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris7.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris9.jpg

Rumour: Toyota to launch Aygo?-yaris10.jpg


cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 22:07   #49
BHPian
 
aerohit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: India
Posts: 877
Thanked: 576 Times
Default

If this rumor is true - I can imagine why Toyota is not selling Yaris.

Just look at the interior of Aygo. Just look at the tacho.
Lot of cost cutting going on for Aygo.

There is much more material cost in bigger Yaris.


LOLz - just noticed from page 3 pic that the glass for rear window doesnt go down in Aygo !! Now this is too much.

Last edited by aerohit : 29th April 2009 at 22:14.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 02:57   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default Class Equivalents

In Europe, Corolla is also a Hatchback and the equivalents across Toyota, GM (Opel/Vauxhall), VW, Honda and Ford are as follows:

Corolla=Astra=Focus=Golf = Civic
Yaris=Corsa=Fiesta=Polo = Jazz
Aygo=Agila (Wagon R)=Ford Ka = Fox
I hope this clarifies the situation a bit more.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 09:26   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

@anekho : thanks for the pics. The quality does feel/ look much better than the getz/ swift.The Dash design looks good but the controls under the audio looks slightly odd( we are not used to seeing them might be the reason).


Yaris looks a proper fit into Punto/I20/Jazz category. All that they have to do is price it less than Jazz and offer slightly better equipment levels and it would definitely eat into jazz's and I20's Pie.

Punto in my opinion stands a very good chance of attracting attention and sales initially owing to its clean ,simple and stunning looks. Fiat guys have a lot of stakes on this car and hope they price it right.
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 10:00   #52
BHPian
 
jack7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: Once
Default

Toyota has ever really tested the small segment in India, so their just probably taking their first step with the Aygo. Who knows, if the pricing is right and consumers digg it, they'd might just release Yaris too.

Personally I like both the Aygo and Yaris.
jack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 10:30   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
tanwaramit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Dilwalon ki Dilli
Posts: 1,886
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

With Jazz being launched at 1.2 L specification in India, its going to be underpowered for sure.

Now I being a Toyota fan might switch to Aygo for there could not be much difference in 1L Aygo and 1.2L Jazz (except for interiors etc). And for the price point, this would be easily matching A-Star, though rear seats seem quite cramped just like A- Star.

Is this the small car Toyota intends to launch in India ? Or the suspense will open in Auto Expo next year ?
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 11:48   #54
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London/ Bombay
Posts: 496
Thanked: 348 Times
Default

1.2 Liters from a Japanese Stable is NOT underpowered!

Honda's 1.2 = 89 BHP (As much as the 1st gen 1.3, then considered super fast)
Suzuki's 1.2 = 85 BHP (New engine, new efficiency & emissions standards)

Even Hyundai's Kappa gets 80 BHP from similar displacement.

Bottom line, while clearly not as powerful as larger displacements, the Japs have taken small displacement engines to the max. These engines are the path forward. Why?

Because if a 1.5L Engine can get a real 11 city kmpl in the latest Honda City, then imagine how much better this can do with lighter weight and smaller displacement?

I believe Toyota has done a brilliant move by skipping the Yaris. Why? I've driven the Yaris - It is a VERY disappointing car. Just read reviews of leading automotive journalists and see for yourself! Nothing like the rest of Toyota's stable at all

You cannot place an average car against the Jazz (which is globally reputed!) Which is why you bring in a good lower segment car and price it UNDER the Jazz, price it somewhere between the A-Star and the Jazz. Then, in a price sensitive market loyal to the best of Japan, you steal sales away from the seemingly overpriced Honda Jazz. Simple yet brilliant strategy
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 11:49   #55
BHPian
 
S_budhiraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 275
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Most likely its gonna be "Yaris" only

Going by the words from Sandeep Singh, Deputy MD,Toyota Kirloskar Motor "The compact car will be priced in the B+ category,” said Sandeep Singh, Deputy MD,Toyota Kirloskar Motor said. Toyota’s small car is expected to be priced in the range of Rs5 to Rs7 lakhs" It is more likely we will see the Yaris not Aygo, as it is a bigger Hatch which could be pitted in the B+ segment not the Aygo.

Here goes the complete Article:-

Toyota has said that its small car would be in the premium hatchback segment and it would compete with the likes of Volkswagen Polo, Fiat Grande Punto and Honda Jazz. “The compact car will be priced in the B+ category,” said Sandeep Singh, Deputy MD,Toyota Kirloskar Motor said. Toyota’s small car is expected to be priced in the range of Rs5 to Rs7 lakhs. Toyota hopes to sell 6000 units of this small car every month. The compact car will have a localisation of 65% to start with, and will gradually be taken to 90% by 2011, said Shekar Viswanathan, deputy MD (Commercial) said. “With the compact car, we want to be in semi-rural and rural towns,” he added.With the launch of small car, Toyota will also expand the dealer network from the current 82 to 150. Seems like Japanese auto giant is cooking big things for Indian market.

Source:

Toyota gears up for small car launch | Vicky blog | Indian Automobile blog

Last edited by S_budhiraj : 30th April 2009 at 11:52.
S_budhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 12:29   #56
BHPian
 
crackingride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
If this rumor is true - I can imagine why Toyota is not selling Yaris.

Just look at the interior of Aygo. Just look at the tacho.
Lot of cost cutting going on for Aygo.

There is much more material cost in bigger Yaris.


LOLz - just noticed from page 3 pic that the glass for rear window doesnt go down in Aygo !! Now this is too much.
The Aygo was originally designed and developed as a small, very cheap car, with much attention to cost cutting like you mentioned. Thats why the central console, lack of power windows, glass hatch without a metal frame etc.
The AC/ power front windows and alloys and things came with recent editions.
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 16:05   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,995
Thanked: 659 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I believe Toyota has done a brilliant move by skipping the Yaris. Why? I've driven the Yaris - It is a VERY disappointing car. Just read reviews of leading automotive journalists and see for yourself! Nothing like the rest of Toyota's stable at all

You cannot place an average car against the Jazz (which is globally reputed!) Which is why you bring in a good lower segment car and price it UNDER the Jazz, price it somewhere between the A-Star and the Jazz. Then, in a price sensitive market loyal to the best of Japan, you steal sales away from the seemingly overpriced Honda Jazz. Simple yet brilliant strategy
I beg to differ.

I completely disagree about yaris being a disappointing car. On the contrary I find an excellent option for the price range. I have also driven the yaris as a rental car on several occasions and find it to be very competent.

It's has compact exterior dimensions, while the interior feels large and airy. 5-stars in euroncap and ESP aren't for nothing either. The car feels sturdy and safe in the three-digit speeds.

Considering the comfort aspect of things, the noise level in the yaris points towards the higher side - though nothing unbearable. The interior also sports several storage spaces here and there utilising the interior space.
regarding the centrally mounted console - it looks cool and adds to the light airy feel inside.
The rear seat has surprisingly good comfort with good legroom and a tiltable back rest, and fully shiftable back seat. The front seats are decent but don't offer much side support.

The car is fun to drive and will be a pleasure to zip around in, in the cities.

Add to all this toyota's reliability and I think we have a hit!

IMO, the only real competitors to the yaris will be the jazz and new polo.

Somehow the looks of the jazz never appealed to me and for me the choice would be between yaris and polo.

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 16:05   #58
BHPian
 
Gagan.js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 227
Thanked: Once
Default

Wow I'll be surprised as to how many people will pay a premium for a car than was designed for cost cutting!

If it goes over ~4.5L OTR we can expect a failure.
Gagan.js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 16:08   #59
BHPian
 
Gagan.js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 227
Thanked: Once
Default

Anekho, you missed the entire point of the topic. Yaris isn't being launched.

Quote:
IMO, the only real competitors to the yaris will be the jazz and new polo.
Gagan.js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2009, 16:29   #60
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,995
Thanked: 659 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
Anekho, you missed the entire point of the topic. Yaris isn't being launched.
I reply with a quote

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_budhiraj View Post
Going by the words from Sandeep Singh, Deputy MD,Toyota Kirloskar Motor "The compact car will be priced in the B+ category,” said Sandeep Singh, Deputy MD,Toyota Kirloskar Motor said. Toyota’s small car is expected to be priced in the range of Rs5 to Rs7 lakhs" It is more likely we will see the Yaris not Aygo, as it is a bigger Hatch which could be pitted in the B+ segment not the Aygo.

Here goes the complete Article:-

Toyota has said that its small car would be in the premium hatchback segment and it would compete with the likes of Volkswagen Polo, Fiat Grande Punto and Honda Jazz. “The compact car will be priced in the B+ category,” said Sandeep Singh, Deputy MD,Toyota Kirloskar Motor said. Toyota’s small car is expected to be priced in the range of Rs5 to Rs7 lakhs. Toyota hopes to sell 6000 units of this small car every month. The compact car will have a localisation of 65% to start with, and will gradually be taken to 90% by 2011, said Shekar Viswanathan, deputy MD (Commercial) said. “With the compact car, we want to be in semi-rural and rural towns,” he added.With the launch of small car, Toyota will also expand the dealer network from the current 82 to 150. Seems like Japanese auto giant is cooking big things for Indian market.

Source:

Toyota gears up for small car launch | Vicky blog | Indian Automobile blog
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumour: Nissan to launch new X-Trail. EDIT: Launch postponed to 2016 Auto Expo Aditya The Indian Car Scene 27 5th April 2016 23:21
From the UK - George the Aygo Go! Morph Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 12 23rd September 2013 01:14
Rumour? Hyundai Motor to launch Santa Fe at Rs 8.5 lakh!? sgmuser The Indian Car Scene 87 21st January 2008 19:22
Yo DJ... Aygo goes carzy !!!! ranjan united The International Automotive Scene 0 3rd October 2006 05:30
Toyota to launch Aygo? Minardi The Indian Car Scene 5 31st July 2005 13:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks