Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st May 2009, 18:01   #46
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

My brother uses a Logan. He's happy with the car. He bought it as soon as it was launched.
pedrolourenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 18:12   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
but isnt the era of sedans over?
Hahahha, hilarious comment which got missed out on this thread.

Seriously though, as someone mentioned the Logan is okay if you're a uninvolved owner prepared to sit at the back while the car is chauffer driven. The car feels solid, drives silent, eats up bumps over long-distance travels and has acres of space thanks to its boxy design. I say this having travelled in the Logan a number of times in the backseat of taxis in Hyd - to n fro airport and a lot of city trips as well.

But apart from that, only the guys who own the car can comment about interior ergonomics (which seemed quite sad from the rear seat ) and ownership issues.

And I belong to the group that finds the Ikon the best deal among the Accent/Ikon/Logan group - especially with the Duratorq engine and slightly revamped interiors.

Cheers!
Payne
d_payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:13   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Seriously though, as someone mentioned the Logan is okay if you're a uninvolved owner prepared to sit at the back while the car is chauffer driven. The car feels solid, drives silent, eats up bumps over long-distance travels and has acres of space thanks to its boxy design. I say this having travelled in the Logan a number of times in the backseat of taxis in Hyd - to n fro airport and a lot of city trips as well.
In a nutshell, you have outlined the exact reasons for the Logan's failure. First, if you are an uninvolved driver, then the cheaper Indigo serves your needs just well. The Logan's initial positioning - premium money for a low cost car (1 lakh rupees more than the Indigo TDi!) pretty much sealed its fate. Now, it has to contend with new comers such as the Dzire and (excellently priced) Ford Ikon TDCi as well.

Second, the boxy design, lack of frills and evidence of cost cutting everywhere simply takes away from the feel good factor that one expects from a car. Even the half price Santro exudes much more quality than the Logan.

Third, the Logan is best suited as a taxi. Renault is mighty (read = MIGHTY) cheesed off with how their Mahindra JV turned out.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:25   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the Logan is best suited as a taxi.
I fully agree. It has all the needed value propositions for being a Taxi
In China (all major cities), Volkswagan Santana is the Taxi by default
Renault and M&M must focus and make Logan as a Taxi standard across india. I am sure there is a market for more than 200K taxis in India over next 3 years.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote