Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd December 2008, 14:18   #16
BANNED

Why should you open a thread to find out sales of a car when there is already a superb thread on the same?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1086751 (Indian Car Sales Figures and Analysis)
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:26   #17
BHPian

Today, there is nothing that goes in favor of buying a new Lancer. Okay if its a pre-owned.

Ask him to take a look at the Fiesta S, it currently (until YE'08) retails for ~7L OTR within NCR and he will definitely change his mind!
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:36   #18
BHPian

I dont see many New Lancers nowadays. And I dont see a point in buying a Lancer which is almost a decade old. Make him join us here and i'm sure he will see reason. I understand it was a dream car for many a few years back. (the big car thing he talks about) Personally, I still feel its a good looking car, but it makes no sense now. Educate him - Im sure you know we are on the verge of welcoming a New Lancer next year!
car'zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:50   #19
Team-BHP Support

Ask your friend to go to carwale.com
Let him check the resale prices of a Lancer.
He should be aware that his new lancer will suffer higher depreciation.

If he is ok with it then great, he buys a Lancer.
But at 8 Lakhs, I would consider so many more cars than this.
But if everyone followed their heads over their hearts the world will be a gloomy place.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
My dear friend...pls compare Lancer with Fiesta/Honda City and other cars in this category. I consider aveo/ikon/accent in one category (entry level sedans).
Ahem! Guess what if a car is priced at more than 7.5 Lakhs , does it become a mid segment car else its an entry segment. Well then, my friend spending 14 lakhs on a fiat 500 would be like blowing off your green ones. Its not the price which sets a category, & IMHO, the space, power & other features determine the category off the car. Aveo, is no old model & no entry level model.

Back to Topic: I guess your friend should go in for an old SFXi model of lancer. get it modded, it will not be too heavy on the pocket & the sentiments even if the car is taken off.!!
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

No sense in buying the Lancer at all. Size wise the length of the length of the Lancer is lesser than the NHC/Fiesta. Length is 4290mm.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:04   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
SX4 and Fiesta are indeed good cars. He though has his eyes set on Lancer, tried talking him out of it. He wouldnt have it. Wants to know the stats if indeed ppl dont buy lancers anymore. Anything fundamentally wrong with the car or aftersales that he should know about?
I think their eyes are set on Lancer. There is no way convincing them. If you guys love lancer so much then my advice would be to go for a second hand lancer and fit it with pete's tuning. Have fun with the car to max and sell it.

Thanks,
Sridhar
sridharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

In Punjab and Chandigarh the lancer is again picking up sales

i have seen many new lancer roaming around and most of them have PB registration. i have the opinion that the lancer is a good car and a very well engineered and has got tried and tested machinery

PS i love the looks of the lancer
PS2 sometimes cars are bought with a heart and not head thats when lancer scores

Last edited by manikjeet : 23rd December 2008 at 16:17.
manikjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:24   #24
BHPian

Tell your friend to test drive a lancer and a fiesta 1.6s back to back. Explain to him that airbags and ABS are far more important than a few cm of extra width/length. And if he still wants to go in for a lancer, then he should buy a lancer, after all, he is the one who is going to use it daily and the way he feels about his car is more important than anything else.
Astleviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
if he is hell bent on a 90s design, then look no further than a Hyundai accent- more powerful than lancer, better A S S and at 5.3L OTR delhi!
The 1.5l Hyundai engine sold in the only model now, is crap. The Lancer engine beats it in refinement, low-end torque and driveability. Besides, the Lancer has way better mechanicals than the Accent ever had.

I would say Fiesta or SX4 are good, more modern choices.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
The 1.5l Hyundai engine sold in the only model now, is crap. The Lancer engine beats it in refinement, low-end torque and driveability. Besides, the Lancer has way better mechanicals than the Accent ever had.

I would say Fiesta or SX4 are good, more modern choices.
But the accent is also Rs. 2.70 lakhs cheaper and has way better A S S.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:57   #27
BHPian

Default Lancer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by varun.ppl View Post
Back to Topic: I guess your friend should go in for an old SFXi model of lancer. get it modded, it will not be too heavy on the pocket & the sentiments even if the car is taken off.!!
Thats very good idea aseem. Believe me i'm using 99 petrol lancer and still runs in good condition and hassle free.

People are talking about the hyundai's but what about the body corrosions??

Fiesta/NHC etc.. are also good option but remember your friend is going to drive everyday so let him TD all the vehicles and then decide!

PS: Or wait for the new Lancer!

Sample pictures: taken from (New Mitsubishi Lancer. When will it come to India?)

cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by lancer&shogun : 23rd December 2008 at 17:15.
lancer&shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

dude! new lancer was supposed to be launched along with evo, but guess what there may be enough old kits still available with them, hence they are still making and selling them.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:14   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
In Punjab and Chandigarh the lancer is again picking up sales

i have seen many new lancer roaming around and most of them have PB registration. i have the opinion that the lancer is a good car and a very well engineered and has got tried and tested machinery

PS i love the looks of the lancer
PS2 sometimes cars are bought with a heart and not head thats when lancer scores
very true. I see many lancers in chandigarh & mohali whenever i go home, been to Mitshu dealership in chandigarh lately & many lancers with latest registerations were there for servicing. Also most of the lancers i have seen in Punjab, chd are diesel ones
pankaj_sachdeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
But the accent is also Rs. 2.70 lakhs cheaper and has way better A S S.
That I did not dispute :-) Hyundai A.S.S. is good. However, as a car, there is nothing for the current Accent model over the Lancer, and my post was to highlight the capabilities of the two old models - Lancer has better handling, ride comfort, slightly wider, better suspension, HPS, better looks, ...
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote