Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th December 2008, 18:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

As much as I love the Tatas for their 407, I hate them for the Sumo GRANDE. Looks add insult to injury!

Cheers
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 18:40   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

The sheet metal for the Sumo grande makes the vehicle look bulky. I think Sumo Elephant's Backside may have been a more appropriate name. But if you can get past the looks, I think it is value for money.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 22:48   #18
BHPian

I think Sumo grande is more like Scion. And the new Suma grande has better comfort. I tried the gear shifts, knobs, all looked modern. May be I will test drive it once and compare with others in the segment.

I am happy that atleast I can relate to Tata's strategy. Tata is becoming like a role model now.

Last edited by ritz830 : 30th December 2008 at 22:52.
ritz830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 07:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I agree with FX45. They should change to to the honeycomb/mesh grill. will give it the much needed looks. And yeah, the Safari alloys please! the current wheel caps look like some cheap after market fitments.

Can someone please do a quick PS job on this image?
The Grande is a good looking car, Tata should add a few streaks of red if its black, or get out some stricking colors. Also I think the tail lights look cheap and very shiny. Some nice plain lens lights or something like the Honda Accord would look good.
VikramRao75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 14:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Whoa Bajaj Stride? That's the first question one may ask and the reply will be, its was a scooter, as Bajaj was synonymous with scooters till a decade back.
Bajaj also introduced a scooter called SMART (I think that's the name) in 94-95. One of my friends owned this unique scooter, unique bcos we never saw a 2nd one in the whole of Coimbatore in my 4 years stay there.

Thiyags
thiyags22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 14:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

More than the sticker job, they need to make minor changes in the grill and as I mentioned before as well, give it Alloys. Stickers should be 2nd level of "modification". And yes, please remove that El Cheapo sticker from the sides which reads "Dicor".
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 14:35   #22
BHPian

Just allow it for Taxi permits and see how its sales improves. And thats the only way. The branding has already spoiled its chances with the families now the only hope remains the taxi / tour ops segments.
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 00:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

The Sumo Grande is a great product on paper, good list of features, brilliant engine, space and good looks as well (at least it looks way better than other models i.e tavera, bolero etc.)
But the whole thing changes when one goes to the showroom and experiences the vehicle in metal. I walked into the RF Motors showroom in Cochin with my friend, who was looking for an MUV. The centre display in the showroom is an Indica Vista, i was in for a shock on seeing the interiors. Experiencing the first generation Indica at various stages, the Vista's interiors is an amazing improvement and is good enough to give the more globally established rivals a run for their money.
The experience was however shortlived when we saw the Sumo Grande. Considering the amount of work done to create the new Grande I'm apppaled at the standard of plastics in the car. The glovebox wont shut, the folding latch for the third row seat was broken, the plastic on top of the meter console came of etc. etc. This is not acceptable in any vehicle no matter whatever segment they serve.
This I first thought was an issue with just the display car. After a lot of thinking, studying pros and cons (and the year end offers) my firend went for the Sumo Grande. The inside passenger door latch broke of in the first week. Even the PDI standards of the car was poor especially considering RF Motors are among the better Tata dealers in Kerala.
I dont think its a case of Tata motors incapable of doing it, the Vista and even the recent Safari have great plastics. The experience was similar for others who came to see the Grande in the showroom. The year end offers are reflecting in the sales and there are quite a few newly registered Grandes on Cochin roads.
My friend is very satisfied with his car, but had Tata taken care of such niggling and minor issues they would have had a far happier customer.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 09:10   #24
BHPian

Unhappy The sumo designers screwed the xenon grill too..

See for yourself..No doubt the same grillwala had a go at the Xenon too..Unfortunate that one of the best lookers from the Tata stable had to have a pathetic grill!
Attached Images

josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 11:10   #25
BHPian

what your problem.....

Just the grill bothers you??? If you want chrom and Jazz and do that for yourself. There are many who dont like the chrome and prefer the executive look.
Old 1st January 2009, 11:24   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

If you want to discuss the styling, then we do have another thread for that. And reg the design, I tend to agree with Ram here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...dentity-2.html (TATA Grande Sumo. New clothes. New identity)
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 20:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz830 View Post
what your problem.....

Just the grill bothers you??? If you want chrom and Jazz and do that for yourself. There are many who dont like the chrome and prefer the executive look.

Cant remember hinting at chrome and Jazz here. It was just an observation that the Sumo Grand does have a similar grill design as the Xenon.
josepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:32   #28
BHPian

TATA needs to learn from Scorpio.
When M&M launched Scorpio, they never highlighted that it was M&M product, coz M7M jeeps never had the image of family oriented, comfy cars.
But in case of Sumao Grande, TATA is shouting that Grande is based on SUMO. Sumo is just other word for taxi/fleet op.
motionfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 02:12   #29
BHPian

Hello does anyone want to guess why the Sumo Grande is getting an offer of around 65K? Because The MMCd Grande is going to come in a month's time.

* MMC - Minor Model Change
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:57   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
TATA needs to learn from Scorpio.
When M&M launched Scorpio, they never highlighted that it was M&M product, coz M7M jeeps never had the image of family oriented, comfy cars.
But in case of Sumao Grande, TATA is shouting that Grande is based on SUMO. Sumo is just other word for taxi/fleet op.
That is a very valid point and good example. Sumo names need change