Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd February 2009, 12:38   #661
BHPian

Default rear seat room in large hatchbacks

In the Feb issue of ACI and the rear seat leg room of i20 is quite less, as per the photo with one person sitting in the rear seat.

I compared i20s rear seat room with that of i10s and it is even less than that of i10. As per ACI for 120 the min/max rear seat room w.r.t. to the front seats (fully pushed back or pulled ahead) is 560/780mm. As compared, the i10s min/max rear seat room is 680/850mm.

If this is really the case, then the idea of a large hatchback is not served fully, as you get more boot space (295 litres in case of i20) but the rear seat space is compromised. Conversely, the Indica Vista has pretty good rear seat room (720/920mm), but boot space is relatively less (232 litres). IMHO a large hatch should offer decent space on both fronts, to lure potential customers who would otherwise be tempted towards the entry level sedans.
jessie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:45   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
In the Feb issue of ACI and the rear seat leg room of i20 is quite less, as per the photo with one person sitting in the rear seat.

I compared i20s rear seat room with that of i10s and it is even less than that of i10. As per ACI for 120 the min/max rear seat room w.r.t. to the front seats (fully pushed back or pulled ahead) is 560/780mm. As compared, the i10s min/max rear seat room is 680/850mm.

If this is really the case, then the idea of a large hatchback is not served fully, as you get more boot space (295 litres in case of i20) but the rear seat space is compromised. Conversely, the Indica Vista has pretty good rear seat room (720/920mm), but boot space is relatively less (232 litres). IMHO a large hatch should offer decent space on both fronts, to lure potential customers who would otherwise be tempted towards the entry level sedans.
You're absolutely right! i20 has made some grave mistakes to be called a premium hatchback. It's overpriced, a bit underpowered and makes a big compromise on rear seat comfort!

Vista on the other hand is really a good hatchback. But it's name & resemblance to cab like Indica keeps potential premium hatchback owners away from it. Frankly, if you can keep aside its image, at 5.24 OTR for top-end diesel version with Fiat engine, it's nothing less than a still! How I wish it looked better & different than omnipresent Indica! :(
manish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:19   #663
BHPian

Was driving Santro for 7 years and later had to settle for Swift as Getz was expensive. I was wanting to desperately buythe Getz CRDi untill I heard of i20, but after driving it, I am all in love with my Swift with a good ICE setup to get rid of the rattles .

Too less power and high prices especially Bangalore, makes it a BIG NO for i20..

I hope Hyundai realises this soon.
mjkaushal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:37   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The extra length of i20 goes mainly to the huge bonnet area, and not reflected in the rear seat leg space.
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 14:56   #665
BHPian

I just came back from the test drive of the Asta i20

Amazing Car.... Great Pickup

Engine: Good pick up and took me well above 90 in BKC area. I had 4 people (incl me) and I did not feel any drag...
No Noise at all and i could feel the power.

Interiors: Rocking as most of us agree. the Dark brown and beige combo is first tiem for me but its ok...The steering mounted controls are a little distraction. I kept on pressing the source button when i wanted to use the horn..the controls are also like switches with up and down motion not as smooth and good looking like the other cars these days

Steering: was very nimble and smooth, I sped up to 90 kmph and then i did feel that there was no feedback from thesteering and I felt that I have no control and not sure how much do i need to move the wheel to ensure i glide the car past the cars ahead of me.. a very scary feeling...

Space: the leg room both in the front and back was good. I pushed the driving seat tillthe max and then drove the car and then i sat behind the drivers seat and I was very happy with the space.. Rear set acan seat on 2 1/2 normal people (decent body structure) Boot space was also very decent...

Looks: I like the way the car looks...The key was tacky.. a good try to copy the fabia...

My Take: A little expensive for the offering...For this price 6.5L OTR in Mumbai I wanted more width and more boot space...
Ash-NewCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:20   #666
BHPian

i20 was in my rear view mirror in a traffic junction yesterday. The lady was driving too cautiously, hence couldn't see side and back profile. The front view was class apart.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:31   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
i20 was in my rear view mirror in a traffic junction yesterday. The lady was driving too cautiously, hence couldn't see side and back profile. The front view was class apart.

I saw one yesterday it was following my car
it has a nice road presence for a hatchback
looks good especially in white
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:45   #668
BHPian

Smile i20 CRDi

Heard from my friend in Hyundai that i20 with a CRDi engine will be launched in mid 2009! That would be my first diesel car!!
Romins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 20:08   #669
BHPian

Saw the i20 today at Advaith Hyundai in ORR when i gave my Getz for service. Good looking car from the outside and inside. Great features on a hatchback (but for a premium). Loved the electric folding OVRM's. Even audio enhancements, driver seat height, auto climate control, multi info display are all first timers in the segment. Good job Hyundai.

But as all good things come to an end. Space was really less at the rear. Even the width is much lesser than Getz. Seating 5 is a tight squeeze. Moreover, pricing is way too high(atleast in Bangalore).

Attached are some pics i clicked.

Srinath
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai I20 Launched at Rs 4.80 lakh-image023.jpg  

Hyundai I20 Launched at Rs 4.80 lakh-image024.jpg  

Hyundai I20 Launched at Rs 4.80 lakh-image025.jpg  

Hyundai I20 Launched at Rs 4.80 lakh-image026.jpg  

srinath34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 20:30   #670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Lack of rear legspace appears to be a gross deficiency in the i20. Add to that the underpowered engine (it really feels sluggish), that appears to be a bad packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Maybe the following quote gives you the reason you couldn't see the side and back profiles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Hmm well it figures. I was pretty close to getting down and pushing the car to make it go faster.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 14:24   #671
BHPian

Hey what about the vinatge standing behind i20. Looks gorgeous.Didnt know Hyundai had such cars displayed in their showrooms.
isldhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 15:02   #672
BHPian

Thats a 1956 model Dodge. There were 4 other vintages in the service bays. From a 1927 Ford grain truck to a Humber. Really a visual treat.
srinath34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 12:59   #673
BHPian

Default i20 overpriced?

Well, I agree that the i20's prices might seem steeper for some, but frankly, the kind of features it has at that price are someting no one can match!
I went to the hyundai showroom yesterday and wanted to check out the i10 Kappa, but believe me, its very difficult to take eyes off the smart hatch. the cabin is too spacious and can give even some of the C segment entry level car a good match. About the power and performance I cant say much as I'm still to take the test drive. but the overall package looks good!
Accelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 13:38   #674
BHPian

Default Tuning boxes

If power is the only issue with i20 then perhaps it can be rectified by getting a tuning box or other mechanical supplements to increase the power. The interiors and features of the car are fantastic, especially the gear box.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 14:43   #675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Well, IMO, the way to compare legroom is to do a sum of rear and front legroom. So,
Rear Max + Front Min = Rear Min + Front Max = Total legroom in the car.

Some cars have front seats which can go a long way back - it may not mean that is the regular driving position for a person wrt another car where the front seat of pushes back less. So, rear legroom is only meaningful with the right front legroom accounted for (since the car always needs a driver)
Of course, it may well be that i20 has less 'effective' rear legroom. Its clear that the max rear legroom is lower than i10.

BTW, off late, I noticed ACI is making a few typos, where the above equation is not holding - which is not possible by the laws of geometry.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote