Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th March 2009, 16:48   #736
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
For me, in appearance, i20 is neither as cute as i10 nor as aggressive as Swift. Seems like a curvy Swift. Hyundai made all the sharp edges of Swift as curve in i20. Especially look at the rear tail lamp and 'shoulders'.

Only in photos i20 looks good. On road, it's just plain and uninspiring as a Getz.

My personal view.
The front especially looks too curvy and the absence of a solid macho grill makes it worse. Because i10 is a small car it looks ok but for i20 they should have given a more macho grill.

The getz design i have started liking after seeing so many swifts on the road.

I normally dont like the design of hatchbacks and think the looks of a car is complete only with a boot. But the Getz has the best designed rear side IMO

Cheers,
Nitin
revhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 21:14   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
For me, in appearance, i20 is neither as cute as i10 nor as aggressive as Swift. Seems like a curvy Swift. Hyundai made all the sharp edges of Swift as curve in i20. Especially look at the rear tail lamp and 'shoulders'.

Only in photos i20 looks good. On road, it's just plain and uninspiring as a Getz.

My personal view.
+1 to that ! Certainly a car that's more photogenic than with real street presence. In fact the 2008-09 Getz with slanted headlights have already stolen some of the thunder from the I20's frontal design.
Rigid Rotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 01:25   #738
BHPian

HMIL to shift part of i20 production to Europe
Quote:
Hyundai Motor India, the country's largest passenger car exporter and second largest car maker, has decided to have one more production base for its i20 cars, it is learnt. The new manufacturing base will be outside India, it is further learnt. In the light of the changing environment, the company management sees a lot of economic sense in serving the i20 needs of Europe from a production location closer to the market. The company, it is learnt, is still to finalise the second location for i20 production. The company has a few production bases in Europe. ``We are yet to decide on which of our European plant would make i20 cars,'' a highly-placed source said, while declining to be quoted.

In the first week of November last, the first consignment of the all-new i20, which was revealed at the Paris Motor Show in October last, rolled out from HMIL's Sriperumbedur plant for shipment to the European market. The first consignment of 'Made in India' i20 cars comprised 2,820 units. According to company officials, around 17,000 i20 cars were exported to Europe in the first quarter of 2009. The plan was to export 120,000 units of i20 cars in 2009.

When it launched the production of i20, the company had said that the entire i20 needs of the European market would be met through production at the Sriperumpudur facility. The change of thinking, it is learnt, has come about due to a combination of factors ranging from volatility of rupee, poor power availability, inadequate export incentive and labour problem, among others. All these had made export of i20s from India a costlier exercise, sources said.

Though it had decided to shift production of i20 cars for Europe outside India, HMIL, sources clarified that the Sriperumpudur facility would continue to make i20s for the domestic market. The company, sources said, was hoping to sell at least 45.000 units of i20s in the domestic market in 2009. Currently, the waiting period of i20 in the domestic market is around two months. With the move to shift i20 production for European market out of India, these sources expressed optimism that the waiting period in the domestic market would come down drastically soon.

Observers also see in the move a certain dilution of the stated policy of the South Korean automobile giant to make India its production hub for all small cars. Company officials, however, asserted that India would continue to be the base for small car production. They pointed out that i20s were designed specifically for the European needs in terms of style and other things. ``We are only going to make i20 for Europe market in Europe because of cost considerations. Still, we will continue to make i20s in India for domestic needs,'' they pointed out.
icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 15:40   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icar View Post
HMIL to shift part of i20 production to Europe
The reasons for shifting production base are more, including insufficient quality checking systems for exported cars, in spite of being 90% similar to Indian version they undergo at least double the number of QA checks before shipping. More demanding customers in Europe, having to include new features such as ESP, stricter emission norms, more color options including interior colors, high import content etc also makes the manufacturing more divergent from the local model and thus becoming less viable from a cost management perspective. Hope this move will not result in further dilution of the versions launched here.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 17:25   #740
BHPian

Any chance of Auto-Tran coming in i20 :(
csnanjappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 19:31   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Any chance of Auto-Tran coming in i20 :(
Must be in 7 lac range
loving_alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2009, 22:21   #742
aZa
Senior - BHPian

i20 looks big for sure, but the rear leg room is equal to or somewhat less than GETZ. But i found the interior quality to be of a very high order. The doors shut with a solid thud, The plastics feel nice and solid. No creeks the Console feels european. During the Testdrive i found it to be good in traffic the car pulled ok and smoothly. But getting an open stretch, i redlined it and it felt anemic, the engine was running out of breath and was strained. But judging from the dealership and after talkin to the salesman i20 is selling like hot cakes. i was at the dealership for 2-3hrs and four i20's were delivered. while atleast 8-9 were waiting.

After this i test drove a verna crdi coz i was looking at Getz CRDI and they didn't have a test car. Oh well thats another story now
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 16:30   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Overpriced?? For the feature set & the product, I don't think so.
I agree. Definitely not overpriced. After seeing the fantastic Euroncap results for the 2009 i20 Asta-O, here are my comments on the i20's safety:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post1322280 (Car with the best safety features ?)
Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2009, 20:02   #744
Senior - BHPian

Overpriced?? Heck compared to what one is hearing for the price of the Jazz, the i20 sounds like a steal. For that matter, for close to Jazz price, Hyundai should be able to give a diesel, 6 airbags, alloys, fogs and possibly an auto tranny!!
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 12:32   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Overpriced?? Heck compared to what one is hearing for the price of the Jazz, the i20 sounds like a steal. For that matter, for close to Jazz price, Hyundai should be able to give a diesel, 6 airbags, alloys, fogs and possibly an auto tranny!!
Simply comparing it with Jazz doesn't erase the fact that i20 is overpriced !
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2009, 14:41   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Simply comparing it with Jazz doesn't erase the fact that i20 is overpriced !
No it doesn't but together with prices for the Fabia it does give us, the customers, an idea of what car companies are thinking. A premium hatch will cost between 6-8 lakhs and when one reconciles to that fact then the i20 seems like a really good package when one compares features with price.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 00:34   #747
BHPian

i really like the i30

any one aware if it is every going to be released in India?
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 00:59   #748
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
i really like the i30

any one aware if it is every going to be released in India?
Its an even bigger/ costlier hatch. Who'll buy it? Something like the SRV.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:55   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
i20 looks big for sure, but the rear leg room is equal to or somewhat less than GETZ. During the Testdrive i found it to be good in traffic the car pulled ok and smoothly. But getting an open stretch, i redlined it and it felt anemic, the engine was running out of breath and was strained.
A prime example of how external bulk need not translate to greater internal space. But these curves do made it a handsome and fast looking car. Sadly again looks deceive. Yes, a 5 lac premium hatch running out of breath (indica anyone?) on a highway is just not done. Guess the uber cools are in their element while confined to the city traffic jams only. It definately scores here on the "Drool" quotient. COOL !!
gitartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2009, 01:08   #750
BANNED

price and only the price what is biggest negetive factor for the i20!

its a perfect supermini for india but the price will be a deciding factor in the sales!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote