Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th July 2010, 21:12   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Also, i20 1.2 itself sold huge numbers probably due to the 'extortion' called Jazz!
I was really disappointed to read of the AC issues though :-(
Why did the 'jazz' extortion not help the much loved punto? I do not think i20 sells just beacuse jazz is outrageously priced. I think it sells because it brings in nice value proposition in a sub 5L rupee car. And also that car actually has quality - specially interiors.
cuboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 22:01   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh believe me, the i20's market performance has made me eat my words (and how!). I couldn't have gotten it more wrong than I did.

It was probably disappointment at the absolute lack of pep (and sluggishness) that I experienced, in a friends 7.xx lakh rupee i20. As they say about 1st impressions...
eat my words - me too
swore id look last at the H i20
hated its looks,
hated its protruding side ribs, curving into the rear
but after driving the world's range of cars, the 5 series, Golf, Honda S2000, Audi TT, Merc S class, E Class, and SLK, and most made in India cars, found an affordable torquey, high end spec hatch.
may be we become wiser with age - but in months!
loved its turbo engine, and high end feel

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th October 2010 at 16:08. Reason: Removing reference to speed.
Johnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 20:38   #768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
Why did the 'jazz' extortion not help the much loved punto? I do not think i20 sells just beacuse jazz is outrageously priced. I think it sells because it brings in nice value proposition in a sub 5L rupee car. And also that car actually has quality - specially interiors.
@cuboid, let's say someone is in the market to buy a premium hatch. He looked at Punto, Jazz, i20 etc has to choose the best out of them. With Punto plastic issues, panel gaps etc, the average premium hatch buyer preferred i20 and looking at Jazz prices, i20 seemed VFM :-) IIRC, i20 sales only picked to its highs after launch of Jazz!
Also, i20 was launched a good bit before Punto.
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 20:33   #769
BHPian

Last week I was travelling on Mount Road and found this Bright Red I20 with just a single door on the right side I was surprised and upon closer inspection found that it as a 3 door car that is 2 doors and the boot door. When I got closer I saw the car was a LHD. I took some pictures I can post them if someone can help me on how to put them up.

There was just one guy driving it with red temp registration plates. Not sure if Hyundai is planning to introduce this in India.
av8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 08:07   #770
BHPian

av8er,
This link -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) will help you to upload pictures.
Regards!
nithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 12:10   #771
Senior - BHPian

IMO Hyundai have almost always pioneered some of the brilliant features and pretty VFM cars in India.
They might not be as good as the Germans with the build or engineer blocks like Italians/Japs, but we all know they have a bit of everything, in some cases better than the Best in the market.
Knowing this, a 3 door I20 in India might not be the biggest scoop of the millenium since these are already available outside India(I believe). With the growing fetish for Fast Hatches, Koreans might launch a hatch that is a bit "Hatke"!!! LOL
Nevertheless, if this is launched eventually, just hope Hyundai address the Engine and AC issues on this one and we Petro-heads might just have another STONKER on the Horizon to contend with!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 29th October 2010 at 12:13.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 12:41   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Oh believe me, the i20's market performance has made me eat my words (and how!). I couldn't have gotten it more wrong than I did.

It was probably disappointment at the absolute lack of pep (and sluggishness) that I experienced, in a friends 7.xx lakh rupee i20. As they say about 1st impressions...
GTO, the petrol one right?

Quote:
Big hearted (and objective) of you to say so :-) But then, that's why people hold your reviews in high esteem!
i20 sales surprised all of us - interestingly, many of the points I made in the mid-thread discussions got borne out - 1.4l petrol and 1.4CRDI variants, model variants increase down the line. Also, i20 1.2 itself sold huge numbers probably due to the 'extortion' called Jazz!
I was really disappointed to read of the AC issues though :-(
A big concern and hence the only reason for me to get Punto if I am getting a hatch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
Jazz is available for 7.2lac OTR here. Worth then I guess ?

Quote:
@cuboid, let's say someone is in the market to buy a premium hatch. He looked at Punto, Jazz, i20 etc has to choose the best out of them. With Punto plastic issues, panel gaps etc, the average premium hatch buyer preferred i20 and looking at Jazz prices, i20 seemed VFM :-) IIRC, i20 sales only picked to its highs after launch of Jazz!
Also, i20 was launched a good bit before Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
Last week I was travelling on Mount Road and found this Bright Red I20 with just a single door on the right side I was surprised and upon closer inspection found that it as a 3 door car that is 2 doors and the boot door. When I got closer I saw the car was a LHD. I took some pictures I can post them if someone can help me on how to put them up.

There was just one guy driving it with red temp registration plates. Not sure if Hyundai is planning to introduce this in India.
Export models I presume.

And do the export models get bigger compressor? And all 3 engine viz, 1.2,1.4 P and 1.4 CRDi gets same compressor?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 15:26   #773
BHPian

These are the pictures, the Car sure did look good and if I had the money and with my single status I would not mind going for it.

It also said BLUE at the back, it can be seen when zoomed in.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai I20 Launched at Rs 4.80 lakh-12102010492.jpg  

Hyundai I20 Launched at Rs 4.80 lakh-12102010493.jpg  

Old 29th October 2010, 15:42   #774
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 30th October 2010 at 15:52.
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th October 2010, 15:09   #775
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
GTO, the petrol one right?
Yes, of course! The 1.2 petrol is the one I refer to as under-powered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
IMO Hyundai have almost always pioneered some of the brilliant features
Hyundai has also been the first to offer a sub-10 lakh common-rail diesel (Accent CRDi), 4 speed automatic in its hatchbacks and now, a super equipment level on the i20.

Quote:
With the growing fetish for Fast Hatches, Koreans might launch a hatch that is a bit "Hatke"!!! LOL
Well, the i20 crdi's engine is a stonker. Its real fun to drive.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 17:23   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are the pictures, the Car sure did look good and if I had the money and with my single status I would not mind going for it.

Blue is Hyundai's acronym for low CO2/ higher efficiency engines for the i20 (environment friendliness). Low rolling Resistance tyres, some aerodynamic tweaks and base engines are used to get maximum mileage and lowest emissions possible. VW uses blue-motion acronym and volvo uses drivE for the same. Other acronyms include eficient dynamics (BMW) and blue efficiency (Merc).
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2010, 20:11   #777
BHPian

Thanks for the 'Gyan' Sidindica. I really dint know thats what it meant and this is really cool information I think.

So do you think just 2 doors would add to better aerodynamics?

I used a friends 2 door car when I was in Canada and I thought it was a cool car to have. Wonder why that concept dint click well in India.
Old 31st October 2010, 18:02   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the 'Gyan' Sidindica. I really dint know thats what it meant and this is really cool information I think.

So do you think just 2 doors would add to better aerodynamics?

I used a friends 2 door car when I was in Canada and I thought it was a cool car to have. Wonder why that concept dint click well in India.
Its also available in 5 doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai I20 Launched at Rs 4.80 lakh-hyundaii20_blue_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_01.jpg  

Hyundai I20 Launched at Rs 4.80 lakh-hyundaii20_blue_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_02.jpg  

sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 20:03   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Whoa!! Hyundai i20 'blue' here? that too a 3-door model?

I swear I'll buy another one if they launch that 3-door one here!!

btw I was wondering what additional aerodynamic tweaks are there?

Visually I couldn't make out anything different other than the bigger quarterpanel and lack of rear doors!

maybe the 3-door one is efficient due to decreased weight due to lack of the 2-doors and full fledged rear seats! (I guess 3-door i20 is 2+2!?)

Last edited by sohail99 : 31st October 2010 at 20:07.
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 00:01   #780
BHPian

^^ Those are clearly LHD models for export. Remember that India is Hyundai's global production hub for small cars.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote