Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2009, 15:58   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,360 Times
Default

20-80 (in 3rd) or 40-100 (in 4th) serves a different purpose. A performance oriented person will never drive at those speeds in those gears. Neither an economy oriented person will accelerate in those gears (instead he will shift upto 5th at the earliest).

But what this serves is that, it represents the response of the engine across a reasonable rpm boundaries from relatively low to high. Giving a somewhat vague idea of its torque curve.

No doubt, there are better ways to judge it (say how much time does it take to go from near-idling rpm's to the redline in on specific gear, say 4th).

However the 0-100 is very important for the enthusiast. But then, a bigger question to ask will be, what after 100?
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 16:32   #47
BHPian
 
CtrlAltDel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: HyderaGr8
Posts: 500
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

for me 20-80 in 3rd gear is more important since my driving style is sedate and FE is an important parameter for me. i upshift from 2nd to 3rd at around 20kmph and hold on until 40-45 kmph where i upshift to 4th. because of the great torque (with very less lag) the third gear range is thus sufficient to negotiate most of the traffic on my route.

i dont know/dont care about the 0-100 thingie and never bother about it in any car I TD.
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 16:57   #48
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

+1 to what 1100D said
One small thing to add, I like getting to a 100-120 as fast as possible, then staying there. It doesnt really matter to me how many times I have to shift gears, as long as I get a good 0-100 time.
I ensure that the engine is in the powerband all the time. Even if it costs me on FE. Unless its bumper to bumper crawling in the city.
Its all about driving style and traffic conditions.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 22:11   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: delhi
Posts: 707
Thanked: 89 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
I have a fairly peppy driving style. If I shifted to 3rd at 20kmph it would take forever for Swift to reach decent speeds. I am not arguing whether its theoritically possible or not, but thats just not my driving style. If you are at 3rd @ 20kmph than probably by the time you are on 50 you'd be in 5th gear. I find the Swift to be lethargically slow to go from 90-120 if not at 4th, imagine what it would be like to go from 50-100 in Swift at 5th gear.
Guess you are right. It also depends on our drives. Mine doesn't allow me that speed. It's usually max 60 to 70kmph, so why not atleast get the fe
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 23:26   #50
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,661
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
However the 0-100 is very important for the enthusiast. But then, a bigger question to ask will be, what after 100?
You cruise in 5th gear in that speed and tap pedal when needed
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 00:15   #51
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: thane
Posts: 741
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

guys..
according to what i see on this thread it seems to be even stevens.but i guess people opting for better 20-80 are marginally more.
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 04:36   #52
BHPian
 
backrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: Once
Default

considering a daily usage, its always 20-80
backrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 08:49   #53
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

1. not many people engage 3rd gear at 20 kmph.
2. 20 kmph means mostly you are stuck in a slow traffic, where you gotta coop up with the bumper to bumper traffic, i don't think 3rd gear at 20 kmph will be good enough.
3. for the Janta they will engage 3rd gear at 30-40 kmph to minimize the sluggishness because here we had mentioned diesel cars and petrol cars, both of them have different drivability conditions. petrol cars will be smooth at 20 kmph in 3rd gear where diesel wont be smooth.
4. if you wanna compare such figures then i think the best would had been 30-100 kmph and 40-100 kmph because in both the figures, Verna will kill all the timings especially 40-100 kmph in 3rd gear, which is close to the turbo kick.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:13   #54
BHPian
 
CtrlAltDel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: HyderaGr8
Posts: 500
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
petrol cars will be smooth at 20 kmph in 3rd gear where diesel wont be smooth.
I disagree. i have a diesel car and i always upshift to 3rd gear at 20-22kmph without a hiccup. the minimum speed in 3rd gear in my car is around 20kmph (@1000rpm).
CtrlAltDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:47   #55
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 575
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

i'd pick up a car with better 0-100 timings anyday rather then 20-80 kph. Because when i want to race or accelerate i want raw pickup even if its little slow to pick, but at the end makes up for it with brutal high end torque. So if given a choice between lets say civic or verna i'll definatley pick the former.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:06   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

What if the car has good timings for both 20-80kph and 0-100kph?

I'm loving it
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:42   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,031 Times
Default

what 20-80 kph suggests is that suppose you are travelling at 50 kph in 3rd gear and you have to slow down to 20 kph due to some reasons. in such situations, if you are in a car with good driveability, then you dont have to downshift and can simply press the throttle and move. this is a boon in city as fewer gear changes means you are more relaxed.
where in city traffic will i get a chance to floor my throttle to check the 0-100 performance? at signal lights, not everytime we are at the lead position.

so it not about me driving at 20 kph in 3rd gear but in everyday driving, situation mentioned above can arise many times, so i feel driveability is more important in my car. 0-100 performance are valid only for sports cars.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:48   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: pune
Posts: 92
Thanked: 14 Times
Default 20-80 in third gear does not exsist !!

In Embera CRDi . If I continue slowing down from say 50 in third gear all the way down to 20 I run the risk of stalling the car. The reason being the RPM. At 40 in 3rd gear the RPM barely crosses 1200, So slowing further down to 20 will be risky as the car may stall and I might get hit from the back. I think this has to do with the gear rations spread across 6 forward gears compared to usual 5 forward.
rohitrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:17   #59
BHPian
 
Gangsta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 622
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
I disagree. i have a diesel car and i always upshift to 3rd gear at 20-22kmph without a hiccup. the minimum speed in 3rd gear in my car is around 20kmph (@1000rpm).
may i know which car you own? because of the diesel cars are sluggish at 1k rpm in 3rd gear? me myself owns Elantra CRDi, i wont stress it up by changing 3rd gear at 20 kmph in elantra atleast.

Last edited by Gangsta : 2nd January 2009 at 13:21.
Gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:00   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: thane
Posts: 741
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
1. not many people engage 3rd gear at 20 kmph.
2. 20 kmph means mostly you are stuck in a slow traffic, where you gotta coop up with the bumper to bumper traffic, i don't think 3rd gear at 20 kmph will be good enough.
3. for the Janta they will engage 3rd gear at 30-40 kmph to minimize the sluggishness because here we had mentioned diesel cars and petrol cars, both of them have different drivability conditions. petrol cars will be smooth at 20 kmph in 3rd gear where diesel wont be smooth.
4. if you wanna compare such figures then i think the best would had been 30-100 kmph and 40-100 kmph because in both the figures, Verna will kill all the timings especially 40-100 kmph in 3rd gear, which is close to the turbo kick.
you are wrong my friend.
the verna is slow even from 40-100 compared to the linea.the VGT in linea kicks in at 1400 rpm compared to 1900 rpm in verna.so even though the power and torque in the verna are better the in gear acceleration of the linea makes for much better drivability in daily running especially when you are driving the medium speed city conditions.same applies for the fiesta too where in the turbo kicks in even earlier than 1400rpm.

the purpose of this thread is only to discuss the outright acceleration versus in gear acceleration and how many of us in daily driving get a chance for out right 0-100 kmph acceleration.
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Civic: Increasing Idle rpm to improve driveability? smartcat Technical Stuff 10 2nd March 2016 12:31
AC Cut-off above 80kmph - City ZX Vtec rideon Technical Stuff 21 12th April 2014 12:03
Blind Spots - New Cars, Road View and Driveability syravi The Indian Car Scene 25 10th November 2010 16:05
Electra CDI - Not crossing 80kmph chethan.ram Motorbikes 12 7th September 2010 13:44
Not going beyond 80kmph - Esteem 1999 Carb. zacs Technical Stuff 15 18th November 2008 11:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks