Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st December 2008, 19:18   #16
BANNED

Default Safire is Indica vista petrol engine

Quote:
The recently launched Indica Vista has broken away from this tradition completely. It does not use any of the Lx, Zx etc. The base is called Safire, Mid range is Aqua & Top end is Aura.
Safire denotes the petrol engine on the Indica vista. The Trims are classifed into three viz. low end is Terra , Mid range is Aqua and top range is Aura for both petrol and Diesel TDI & Quadrajet engine versions.
harimakesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:48   #17
BHPian

Default Variants Naming Convention for various Manufacturers and Meanings

I have always been intrigued why most variants of a car contain the X in them

Let us compile all variants and come out with a logic on how manufacturers name their model variants

Maruti
Base
Lx
Lxi
Vxi
Zxi
Ldi
Vdi

Conclusion
Higher the first letter, higher the variant
X -> Petrol
D -> Diesel

Hyundai
Santro
GLE
GLS
GLX
GVS
XK
XL
XO
XS
Accent
GLE
GLS
Viva
Verna
Crdi
i
Xi
XXI
i10,i20
Asta
Era
D-lite
Magna
Engine variants Irde - kappa
Conclusion
No standard naming convention changes over the years however the second letter in the X series denotes a higher variant.
Crdi at end denotes a Diesel
Speicals names as Viva,Embera .
post the i cars i10,i20 naming convention changed to special names.

Mitsubishi
Lancer
GLXi - standard trim
GLi - trim could be customised on website
SLXi -
SFXi - sports trim - top end
After 2006
LE - limited edition sport chome vertical grill
1.5 Lxi - current base trim
1.8Lxi invex - auto
2.0 Lxd - diesel
Cedia
Elegance
Sports
Select
Conclusion
X -> Petrol
D -> Diesel
First letter G-> standard trim S -> sports trim
second letter F -> special trim L -> ???
Cedia naming changed with names such as Elegance sports , Select
More manufacturers to be continued.

Please contribute and correct if required.

MODS: Can we consolidate future post containing other manufacturer to starting post to act as a ready reckoner.
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 12:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Maruti
Base
Lx
Lxi
Vxi
Zxi
Ldi
Vdi

Conclusion
Higher the first letter, higher the variant
X -> Petrol
D -> Diesel
Maruti initially also had STD and DX.

Quote:
Hyundai
Santro
GLE
GLS
GLX
GVS
XK
XL
XO
XS
There were LE,LP,LS in the Zipplus model and DX,DX2 in the first version.

Quote:
Accent
GLE
GLS
Viva
The others were GLX,Tornado,DLS,Crdi,Viva Crdi

Quote:
Mitsubishi
Lancer
Gli
Gld
Glxi
Glxd
Slxi
Slxd
Sfxi

TATA

Indica Diesel

DLE
DLS
DLG
DLX
Indicab

Indica Petrol

LEI
LSI
LXI
2000 MPI
GL
GLE
GLS
GLG
GLX
GV
GVE
GVS
GVG

Indigo/Marina/CS

GLE
GLS
GLX
LS
LX
SX-Limited Edition only in Indigo

Sumo Victa

Cx
LX
EX
GX

Safari

LX
EX
GX
VX

Indigo XL

Classic
Grand

Last edited by D.V.R : 30th November 2009 at 13:07.
D.V.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 13:26   #19
BHPian

@DVR

My main aim behind this thread was to figure out the logic behind the naming convention.

Instead of just listing the variants can we also try and explain why the manufacturers name it the way they have named it?
leadf00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 13:36   #20
BANNED

may be earlier with lxi,vxi,dls,dlx it was easy for them to differ the variants with features, which is why almost all manufacturers name their models in three letters, after hyundai offered naming them with i series.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 14:04   #21
BHPian

The best part about hyundai's new naming convention is that the model name looks like a variant and the variant name looks like a model
i10 ->D-lite , Magna , Sportz , Asta.
i20 ->Magna , Asta.
Disclaimer:This is meant to be a humorous post and does not purport to be informative.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 10:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Default Does the same variant guarantee a basic set of features across a Manufacturers range?

I've always wondered if the trim levels by car manufacturers guarantee us a certain set of basic equipment + safety features across their product portfolio.

E.g. Zxi trim guarantees me a 2 front airbags, abs, auto climate control, blue tooth etc whether i buy a Celerio or SX4?
Same for the variant levels that Hyundai has such as Magna, Asta, Sportz?

The addons to this list could vary based on the segment of the car. E.g. on the SX4 Zxi, MSIL could throw in driver side height adjustment, cooled glove box, touch screen entertainment system but not all of these on Swift Zxi.

Not sure if that happens today but if not, why & how hard can it be?
Nilesh5417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 11:33   #23
BHPian

Default re: Does the same variant guarantee a basic set of features across a Manufacturers range?

The simple answer to your question is "Everything comes at a price".

The trim level cars offer us a basic safe structure with thick pillars, a safe cage with crumple zones.

The safety features along with the company fitted accessories are priced and positioned according to the need of the market. The objective of the manufacturer is to provide a wide range of products which can bring in a larger segment of customers in its fold.

The top variant of an hatch back may not have the same features as a sedan because this may lead to overlapping of price and mis-match between the range of products.

Quote:
variant levels that Hyundai has such as Magna, Asta, Sportz?
Hyundai range starts with D-lite, Era followed by Magna and goes upto Asta (O) but is limited to Eon, i10, Grandi10 and i20.

Consider a classic case of an Hyundai i20 Asta(O) which is priced close to 7.75 lakhs (on road) in Delhi. How many of these you see on the road. Hardly a few, it has six or eight airbags, sun roof and the best in class safety features. The buyer who comes with this kind of budget prefers to settle for the base variant of Verna because they get a sedan at approximately similar price.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 15:13   #24
BHPian

Default re: Does the same variant guarantee a basic set of features across a Manufacturers range?

I guess what Nilesh means is that the title of a variant should match the features provided across all models of a car. Well I can straightaway think of an exception; Grand i10 gives safety features only as an option even in the top end 'Asta' variant whereas in all other Hyundai hatchbacks including the Eon at least a driver airbag is present in the sportz variant.
Only explanation I can think of is, the variant naming conventions could have started off as some sort of standardization in the amount of kit but over the course of time the manufacturers might have felt it was an unnecessary pain.
Another example, Swift and SX4 had auto climate control in the ZXI variant but when the Ritz and A Star were launched, this was conveniently omitted.
prkiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 15:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Earlier, even models within the same brand didn't have consistent variant naming convention. 800 had Std, EX, DX while Esteem had LX, VX, AX. Similarly, Santro had different list to what Accent had, which was again different in Verna and totally new scheme when i10 was launched.

What most manufacturers have achieved over the last few years is the consistency in naming the variants across the range instead of having different schemes for different models.
Maruti - Std, L, V, Z
Hyundai - DLite, Era, Magna, Sportz, Asta
Ford - EX, LX, ZX, Titanium
and so on...

The order will not be altered, though they might add a "Option" pack to any variant as a way of getting another slot in the line-up. So the only inference is that the Sportz will be lower than Asta and higher than Magna always for a Hyundai.

Only guys who are still far from this is our own Tata Motors. No idea when they'll get on board!

Looking at Maruti's naming convention of variant naming, this is how it goes.
X/D- Petrol/Diesel
i-Power Steering equipped

L- just the bare essentials
V- 'must have' features
Z- 'nice to have' features

What comes under 'must have' and 'nice to have' varies according to price of the product and the segment that it belongs to. For example, a 10L car without AC, power steering or power windows is not expected even if it is the base variant. These are part of the essentials list for a buyer in that segment. However, for a sub-3L segment buyer, even the power steering and power windows are luxury features and AC is a 'nice to have'.

Last edited by zenren : 31st January 2014 at 15:57.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2014, 16:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Does the same variant guarantee a basic set of features across a Manufacturers ra

'L' can also mean 'Life not assured' in company parlance. Since there is hardly any feature, safety or otherwise in 'L'.

'L' can also mean 'Learning at your expense'.

An evolved Govt, whenever India is blessed with such an animal should immidiately ban all the 'L' models esp from Maruti. Since they produce cars primarily to repatriate profits to foreign principal. Why put Indian lives at risk unnecessarily by starting & maintaining such negative trends.
lurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 22:43   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Why dont car manufacturers adopt standard naming conventions for variants

While you've raised a valid issue that's probably confusing a lot of consumers in India, I don't think it will, and should ever happen. Manufacturers should have that prerogative, and, if, as a consumer, you are plonking in a major chunk of your savings in a new car, I feel proper research should also be done. This isn't difficult, as you have enough brochures for each car model that clearly list out the models, variants, and features
FanaticOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 06:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Why dont car manufacturers adopt standard naming conventions for variants

Toyota Etios:

J PS, G, G SP, JD, V, GD, V SP, GD SP, VD, VD SP.

Toyota Corolla Altis:

J S, J D, J S D, G, G D, G AT, GL, GD, V AT.

Liva:

J PS, G, G SP, V, JD, V SP, G D, TRD Sportivo Petrol, G D SP, V D, TRD Sportivo Diesel, V D SP.

Innova:
The nomenclature here is too confusing for words...

To get one's head around all this jargon and double exponential usage of alphabetical and numeric juxtapositions and combinations, one needs to be a human computer.

Doing research for buying a new car is a big, time-consuming thing indeed.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:19   #29
BHPian

Well the actual reason for these naming convention is unknown and it might be herculean task for some to get all the manufactures across one table and have them decide a common naming convention.
I picked the below from another forum and for sure makes some sense for Maruthi's variants on the lighter side.

Lx - Less X pensive
Vx - Very X pensive
Zx - Zabbardast X pensive

Cheers,
pdma
pdma is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 10:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

It is big headache in India, where large number of variants being sold to satisfy all price range. Imagine the plight of small town residents, who is willing to buy car for the very first time. He/She has to be on the mercy of those pesky salesmen to decide their choice of variants.

I feel suggestions from sales guy driven from the factors like, how many of particular variant of car lying in their stock. They insist heavily to decide on lying stock. It is very difficult for common men to decode of all variants and find the difference.

Quote:
Toyota Etios:
J PS, G, G SP, JD, V, GD, V SP, GD SP, VD, VD SP.

Toyota Corolla Altis:
J S, J D, J S D, G, G D, G AT, GL, GD, V AT.

Liva:
J PS, G, G SP, V, JD, V SP, G D, TRD Sportivo Petrol, G D SP, V D, TRD Sportivo Diesel, V D SP.
This is too much and out of the world.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote