17 years 10 3.66%
18 years (As per current law) 131 47.99%
21 years! 59 21.61%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19th April 2005, 18:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
now,when you are reducing the minimum age for a license to 16 years,then there also have to be stricter laws.every offence should be accounted for with points.and when u exceed the maximum number of points decided upon,the license should be cancelled.

this will definitely give us safer drivers
all this without reducing the age limit will give us safer roads, plus there'll be less ppl to monitor/supervise on the roads.
simran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 18:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

I would rather see the age limit raised to 21.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 18:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Here is how it should be...
Minimum age for driving alone: 21
Minimum age for driving on NHs, under parental supervision = 18
Minimum age for driving within city limits, under parental supervision = 16

I think this kind of system exists in canada.

The parental supervision rule must be enforced strictly though.

Cheers
Amitoj
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 18:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thats a really good system Amit.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 19:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

i say make these people go to driving school at 16 and keep them on a L license for 2 years. and on L license u should under all cost have parental guidance. after 18 put them to test if they are ready to hit the roads or not
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 19:42   #21
BHPian

In the current format, we should increase the age to 21 if not to 25!!! :-)
Hopefully that wait would have made the guy/ gal more mature.

A combo of Amitoj's (under supervision) and Technocrats suggestion (engine cc) would be interesting, since these are already in place in some form. (if you have only a learner's license, you cannot drive alone and kids below 18 cannot drive a geared 2 wheeler)

Parents also should start realizing, just because the kids are asking for a car by age 16 does not mean that you buy them that. If your kid says that he wants to jump into a well at the age of 16, will you let him?

Underage driving/ violations should result in a ban on the guy from driving ever!!! of course to implement all that systemically, we got a long way to go....
rahulmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 19:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

16 i think is when most of the youngsters in india start driving ... i learnt how to drive when i was 10 i used to drive inside my apartment complex ,but my parents never encouraged me by buying me a car ..reasons vicarious liability, insurance and ofcourse it was illegal .. i took over my moms 800 soon after i was 18 ...how ever its not the same with every other parent ...
so might as well make it legal at that age .. and step up the testing procedure ..
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 19:50   #23
BHPian

I tried posting these suggestions at rtopune.com ... but the site no longer exists. We could get a feedback from the RTO about the practical implications and something they could use. Would add good value to their operations ... any idea where this can be posted?
simran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 19:55   #24
BHPian

Pretty complex subject, this. In a country like ours, getting a driver's licence can be as simple as buying an over-the-counter product at the local supermarket. And even if the applicant has to go physically undergo a test, it doesnt mean a thing, as most of us know. Driving maturity has to come with age. Many of us, including myself, were most likely wannabe Schumis at the age of 18-20. But now, things surely have changed and driving styles have become more responsible. Age does play an important factor. But more important is the actual process of obtaining the licence. It should be made stricter, with real theoretical and practical tests (sounds like a joke).
manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 19:59   #25
BANNED

i would agree with amioj..the thing is its already implemented in u.s at 16 years they start learning.and its like a parent or someone with a license should accompany them.18 years would be an ideal age for driving single.without guidence.
freakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:04   #26
BHPian

It is really tough. Nobody becomes suddenly matured when they turn 18. Same way there can be lot of youngsters who are only 16 but responsible enought to drive any vehicle. Still we need have a cut off age. Let it be 18, fair enough
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

I think it should be that you get a licence at 17 but require to have another person with a licence in the car at the same time. During this time the guys licence should be marked down if he breaks any rules or accidents and according to that get a full licence at 18 or later
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:18   #28
Team-BHP Support

Post age restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
Here is how it should be...
Minimum age for driving alone: 21
Minimum age for driving on NHs, under parental supervision = 18
Minimum age for driving within city limits, under parental supervision = 16

I think this kind of system exists in canada.

The parental supervision rule must be enforced strictly though.

Cheers
Amitoj
This is a good system in Canada & the US too, however, it is currently impractical to enforce such a system in India.
Rules are enforced with a vengeance in these countries with the violators having to pay a high penalty. In India there is a cool "chalta-hai" attitude which would lead to disaster were we to have such rules (16 years).

Obtaining a driving license in the US involves a written (objective) test after which you get a Learner's licence. A (boring nonetheless) 5-hour lecture and a driving test (the severity of the test varies from state-to-state) eg. in New York we have a simple driving test, whereas in Ohio new drivers have to go thru' a slalom course. Violaters, have a point-penalty system and have to pay heavy fines which also reflects upon car-insurance.

A lot of my friends in India have (proudly?) obtained driving-licences without going thru' any "test" of sorts - without even going thru' the Learner's licence. Money gets you a licence. Forget that, we see posts on team-bhp by under-age drivers who proudly proclaim themselves to be 'safe'.

Its sometimes frustrating to go through the traffic laws here in the US but they do end in saving lives. Don't get me wrong - terrible accidents still happen here rampantly but here you are more certain that the other driver will follow rules to a greater extent than the other driver in India.

I am against giving anybody under the age of 18 a driving licence anywhere in the world! 18 is a good age to obtain a driving license provided one is properly qualified and taught how to drive and obey traffic-laws which should be enforced.

ads

Last edited by aah78 : 19th April 2005 at 20:24. Reason: modifying content
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
I voted for 16.
I am an underage driver but i still drive responsibly and only on small roads.
Not any of the major roads.
The RTO should make the tests tougher and make a special test track in all cities and big villages where a learner is able to face all sorts of challenges (like a fake animal popping up and a wet section) and is scored on how he faces.
Remember, the older a person is, it does not neccesarily mean that he is more mature.
Look around guys and see how many 20 + drivers are driving rashly.
Infact i even know of a few who are 40 +.

But between the 16 - 18 age, it would help if the child were under the supervision of a senior holding a license.
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 20:53   #30
Senior - BHPian

i voted for 16

cars these days are a necessaity rather than a luxury.

parents view car as a safer option for their siblings esp the fairer kind

i could give countless examples but i guess you guys got the point.

tell me one thing would you give your daughter a 30 k maruti 800 or a kinectic honda (if budget was a problem?)

i for one would give my daughter or sis a car,much safer than a 2 wheeler anyday.

accha all those who voted for 18, please tell me the age at which you started driving or learning.

i am dead sure gto, rtech and others must have learnt way earlier than 18, am i right guys?
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote