16 years 73 26.74%
17 years 10 3.66%
18 years (As per current law) 131 47.99%
21 years! 59 21.61%
Voters: 273. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th April 2005, 08:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

rev,

you can say something like that for everything, suppose I'm 17 years and 8 months, I can say the same way that I'm only 3 months less than 17 years and 11 months so even I would be mature enough.

At the age of 16 or 17, there is an alertness in the drivers which greatly aids their driving. Although my opinion may be biased by the fact that I am exactly the age when the desire to drive a car is almost uncontrollable, I stand by it.

Oh, and my parents too have never let me touch the car, telling me that if Ive waited for more than a decade since my childhood, then I surely can wait a year more!!! That makes sense.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 08:54   #47
BHPian

I voted for 18, but I think having a licence and driving is no assurity of maturity.

Sure underage driving causes problems, because of the thought that one is indestructible, but what do you guys say about the thousands <lakhs?> of accidents caused by weirdos on the road. Guys who overtake from the wrong side, cut lanes - heck even go down the wrong lanes not to mention one ways, and speed recklessly, jump signals, turn without signalling.....the list can go on... Not to mention running vehicles on the road that should have long ago been relegated to the scrapyard!!

And how do you help control traffic when the cops themselves are not trained to control it? Imagine cops giving the signal to two lanes at the same time??!! And to let people get away with bribes?

The situation is sad. It will take more than limiting underage driving to rectify Indian roads.
We are not safety conscious.

Read in a book...If an american gets bitten by a snake, he will try his best to get to a medical center and seek help. If an Indian gets bitten by a snake, he will lie down and be prepared to die.

Maybe we could adapt the analogy to Indian roads as well!

Request all TBHP drivers to drive safely!
superavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 10:08   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
the driver has nothing to lose if he doesnt have a license.but atleast the fear of having the license getting negative points will make someone drive carfeully.
Satya, good point about the points system

Question is, how do you enforce a points system in a country where you can buy off a cop for 20 bucks and where total anarchy prevails on the roads.
nitinbhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 10:56   #49
BHPian

18 is the perfect age for letting one take the car out into the road...

But i guess may be at an younger age like the 16-17, they must be allowed to drive around a car like may be the reva(will also do their sales a world of good).... Atleast they know they can have a ride with 4 wheels and in a yr or 2, take big mean machines out on the road..
It may sound very much impossible, but I guess at the 16-17yr time everyone has this urge of taking a car out.. Too little do they think about the consequences of getting caught or about an accident... So they should be allowed to drive but maybe a car which is way too less in terms of power..
Parents too should take care not to gift kids with car keys on their 16th birthday..

Hey but isnt 16th legal age to get a license in the US?? Or is it a learner's licence.. I have a cousin their who wanted a sports car(donno which one) for his 16th B'day.. I wonder if he got hold of that..

So I guess there should be this proper validating system by which it should be decided if the guy is able enough to take the car out on public roads..

May be have cars which will start only if we flash our age proof... We'r living in a hi-tech world, anything is possible..

All this is so easily said but seems impossible here..

Its just that we take care not to drive underage and hope parents too do their part in ensuring it.. As far as law and order is concerned, cops should be severe on underage drivers, atleast that'l make others fear a little before taking the wheels......
vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 16:05   #50
BHPian

Here is one step in the right direction i hope. a standardized training procedure at maruti driving school .

http://marutiudyog.com/bp/mds.asp?ch=2&ct=17&sc=0
hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 16:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Yes 16 is the legal age to get a license in USA and Canada ..

In canada u have a G1 learners which you keep for a period of 6 months before applying for the regular no supervision license G2 ...after which you apply for G ..
but then driving tests are way harder than in India .. 82 % of G2 applicants fail their first tests ..

Corruption kills the system .. If the quality of tests are improved road errors will reduce dramatically ..Legal age can also be brought down without the risk of public safety. Its not the rules that we lack ,just needs sincere effort on the authorties parts ..
turbo_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 21:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, we have rules in plenty. They look like they form the framwork of a very strict road management system, but the reality is nothing like it.

There are too many problems and other problems integrated into them to list out, it would be better to say that unless at least half of these are sorted, one cannot even dream of the system changing in the near or far future.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 23:10   #53
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess the age parameter may differ from person to person. Its possible that an 18-yr old kid may drive much better and safer than a 25-yr old matured person. But speaking generally i feel that 20 would be a perfect age to issue a license. Its a diff issue that i got my license before 18 .

Also as long as a person is safe and responsible, i feel age should not matter. But as they say, the law is the same for all. No partiality.
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 23:39   #54
BHPian

while i do agree with v12, but the best way is to judge the driving abilities by taking a rigid test. but the whole corruption thing ruins it all.
as an "underaged " driver, i may be more biased towards the age 16 option. but if you take a look around, there are a dozen of rash "licensed" drivers on the road to cause harm to road safety.
but speaking for myself, i do believe that underaged drivers are a little more cautious while driving and tend to take much less risks and try as hard as they can to not to break traffic laws (apart from the whole license thing ).
it was just yesterday when i saw a series of "adults" going through the wrong side in their indicas and ikons with head beam. it was completely blinding me. fof, DONT DRIVE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD, but if you do atleast switch to low beam/hazard lights.
as far as India is concerned, i think it is much more important to teach some basic driving ethics to the adults before complaining abt under-age drivers.
amitverma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 23:48   #55
BHPian

Well i've voted for 21,this might sound very conservative,but i firmly think its the right age,driving is no big deal,driving with responsibility is ! ... in the 'Teeny' moment whenever we sense something not regular(someone provokig you for a race,girls competing) we easily get provoked,agitated,excited which is dangerous and is also fatal in many instances(standing example were the Ford Ikon case) .... lastly its all in the MIND .... driving is a luxury and not necessary requirment ....hence its important to drive carefully ... enough of grand father talk(though I still stick to what I said) ...Most of my friends (including myself) have got liscenses much before the legal age,persons who want to get a liscense will get it anyway,anyways we never obey any rules be it for bunking college,for drinking etc etc
comfortablywacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2005, 23:55   #56
Team-BHP Support

I wanted to hit 21 but erroneously hit 16.. When I remember my days of driving underage I just get goosebumps thinking of the times when I used to rough up on roads screech tyres and all that kind of "show off".. but now I feel it was all wrong ... I could have claimed an innocent life and all those philosophies start running over..!
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 03:24   #57
BHPian

hey guys, quick question, is a International Driver's License vaild in in india..cause im thinking of getting one....or would it just be best to get an indian driving license when i come???
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 03:43   #58
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Talking

Quote:
would it just be best to get an indian driving license when i come???
Maybe you can get it before you come. Just send two passport size pictures to an agent & abt 600-800bucks. You shall have your license when you land

Last edited by RJK : 21st April 2005 at 03:45.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 10:16   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
Maybe you can get it before you come. Just send two passport size pictures to an agent & abt 600-800bucks. You shall have your license when you land
hehehehe....no but seriously, cause i read that india accepts the International Driving Permit as per a signatory to the UN resolution on it..so i was just thinking i could get one of those.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 10:54   #60
Team-BHP Support

Yes, you can get a international licence and drive here. It's valid for 1 year.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote